REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 211 guests

Cheating in sport or just getting an edge ?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

slow_lift_joeIconCheating in sport or just getting an edge ?28-03-2018 @ 19:27 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
Let have an honest debate or put forward a robust opinion on cheating or things you can do to get an edge ?

- Cameron Bancroft :- Sticky down by his dicky ! Cheating ? He is trying to break the surface of a cricket ball, ball tampering.
- Lance Armstrong :- Sophisticated doping at it's best in a sport full of other cheats when he was doing it anyway, cycling is one of worst for doping.
-Ed Coan :- Failed drugs tests, lifetime ban. I like Ed at lot, the sport of Powerlifting is a minefield. I like Ed and value his opinion on the sport.
-Arnie :- Used steroids, show me a professional bodybuilder who does not use steroids and I will show you a possible spinner of yarns.
-MMA - PED's are rife in the sport ?
-Strongman :- What is the difference between a natural strongman event and a strongman event ? Rigorous drug testing maybe.

When is it an edge in sport and when it is cheating.

Are the days of train clean and compete clean no longer valid in the 21st century.

Now where are my knee sleeves and my black coffee, I am off to train.
Just a little edge that is all the coffee and the knee sleeves nothing more.
KevC86Icon...28-03-2018 @ 20:35 
Member 5141, 4199 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
If it is against the rules it is cheating (Doping being the most obvious).

If it is done to gain an unfair advantage it is cheating. Tampering with equipment for example.

If it is a better way of doing something that everyone else is doing, within the rules, then it is fair game and the ingenuity should be applauded.
FatpeteIcon...28-03-2018 @ 20:59 
Hyper obese Pete
Member 70, 17867 posts
SQ 322.5, BP 205, DL 300
827.5 kgs @ 133kgs Eq
In my humble opinion a gentleman should not only play sport but he should play it in a sporting manner. If you cannot be open and honest about everything that you do then you shouldn't really be doing it.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...28-03-2018 @ 23:19 
Lost his pen, then found his pen. #phew
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Fatpete said:In my humble opinion a gentleman should not only play sport but he should play it in a sporting manner. If you cannot be open and honest about everything that you do then you shouldn't really be doing it.

That may be why there is a difference between a Gentleman and a Player.
slow_lift_joeIcon...29-03-2018 @ 00:17 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
Honest about everything you do. I agree 100 % but difficult to achieve in sport today.

It is a very grey area.

Ed Coan Maybe the best powerlifter in history to date.
Arnie the best in his profession of bodybuilding.
Both did drugs, but is their legacy in their chosen sport damaged.
Lance Armstrong was still a good athlete regardless.
Steve Smith is still a good cricketer.

Sometimes it is judgement and thinking this is what I need to do get to the front.
Other times many sports sweep the performance enhancing drugs matters under the carpet, hide it. Not in this game.

I do have a cynical and total distrust for most sport these days.
Hard to know who is 100 % clean and honest.
KevC86Icon...29-03-2018 @ 05:07 
Member 5141, 4199 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
I dont see why you think Arnies reputation could be damaged because he used drugs?? Drugs are not against the rules in professional bodybuilding so why would they matter?
umpalumpalifterIcon...29-03-2018 @ 07:01 
Member 5836, 366 posts
SQ 220, BP 137.5, DL 235
592.5 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
KevC86 said:I dont see why you think Arnies reputation could be damaged because he used drugs?? Drugs are not against the rules in professional bodybuilding so why would they matter?

Read the ifbb rule book -'it actually states drug control in it as I had a disagreement with a naive bikini competitor who was using this to justify it being drug free.
umpalumpalifterIcon...29-03-2018 @ 07:02 
Member 5836, 366 posts
SQ 220, BP 137.5, DL 235
592.5 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Fatpete said:In my humble opinion a gentleman should not only play sport but he should play it in a sporting manner. If you cannot be open and honest about everything that you do then you shouldn't really be doing it.

Think it goes out the window when it's professional - if your livelihood depends on it then anything goes
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...29-03-2018 @ 08:09 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
umpalumpalifter said:
Read the ifbb rule book -'it actually states drug control in it as I had a disagreement with a naive bikini competitor who was using this to justify it being drug free.

I doubt they were in the rule book back when Schwarzenegger competed...but I could be wrong.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...29-03-2018 @ 08:09 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Post Edited: 29.03.2018 @ 08:10 AM by ChrisMcCarthy
D / P.
slow_lift_joeIcon...29-03-2018 @ 11:02 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
So drugs can be used in one sport example Bodybuilding but not in any other sport and it cheating.

Double standards.

There is complete hypocrisy in sport and always has been.

Either your natural clean, raw and true ! Or you cheat the system, the equipment or the body. No grey areas.
LessThanLukeIcon...29-03-2018 @ 11:43 
his poor male ego must be crushed
Member 883, 6251 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 420
890.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
slow_lift_joe said:So drugs can be used in one sport example Bodybuilding but not in any other sport and it cheating.

Double standards.

Either your natural clean, raw and true ! Or you cheat the system, the equipment or the body. No grey areas.

Don't talk so stupid.

It isn't double standards at all. In one it is against the rules and others it isn't, fairly f**king simple.
matthewvcIcon...29-03-2018 @ 11:44 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3220 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
slow_lift_joe said:So drugs can be used in one sport example Bodybuilding but not in any other sport and it cheating.

Double standards.

'natural' just means any supplements that WADA don't disapprove of and that line changes all the time. i'm sure
caffeine was on there at one point (that would render every software engineer unable to do GBPF competitions lol)

in fact it wasn't that long ago prohormones were not WADA banned. this included compounds like superdrol, methy-1-test etc nothing 'prohormone' whatsoever about them; these are, for whatever reason, legally available, potent oral anabolic steroids. you had a crazy state where one athlete could legally take superdrol until his liver melted, but another get banned for the tiniest trace of anadrol.
little_aIcon...29-03-2018 @ 13:53 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
slow_lift_joe said:No grey areas.

If this is true...

slow_lift_joe said:Let have an honest debate

what's the point of this?

Just curious why you would ask for a debate whilst stating that there isn't room for one.
slow_lift_joeIcon...29-03-2018 @ 15:08 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
Little A, Sorry it should read :- No grey areas ?
So yes of course there are grey areas.
But hate things in the shadows, and hiding the use of PED's in sport.

Less than Luke, My issue is many bodybuilders reject all steroid accusations to stay out trouble and keep the money rolling in.
Loss of sponsors is the main issue I think, supplement companies would drop them.
PED's are in the shadows in bodybuilding and a lot of strength sports.

There is hypocrisy in my humble opinion.

My point is about truth and honesty that is all.

True values like honesty have no place in modern bodybuilding and there is no profit in it.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions