REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 148 guests

Einstein's theory of relativity

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

little_aIconEinstein's theory of relativity11-02-2016 @ 22:05 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Is it still a theory or what? Will it now be Einstein's rule of relativity?Confused

Anyone know what eventually happened to his brain?
Funky_monkeyIcon...11-02-2016 @ 22:19 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5121 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
It was dissected and shared amongst pathologists. It was removed within hours of his death. I think he was dyslexic, which is why he struggled with a lot of the mathematical side of things.

I guess EVERYTHING is a theory because every event that ever happens has done so in the past, so said event could have changed between then and now.
Robbo91Icon...11-02-2016 @ 22:28 
Doesn't like tall people very much.
Member 5708, 391 posts
SQ 260, BP 195, DL 275
730.0 kgs @ 137.5kgs UnEq
This answer is based out of very little actual knowledge,
But doesn't it relate to time travel? Which is still theoretical, so as widely accepted as it might be it is yet to be proven and demonstrated so it has to still be a theory for now.
billynomatesIcon...11-02-2016 @ 22:34 
Member 4923, 1795 posts
I saw the story today about gravitational waves, but didn't pay much heed. Are there any practical implications of this discovery?
drex50Icon...11-02-2016 @ 22:45 
It's a moonface era now.
Member 5901, 956 posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYv5GsXEf1o
Luke82Icon...11-02-2016 @ 22:48 
Enjoys his parents fully stocked fridge.
Member 3476, 868 posts
SQ 170, BP 136, DL 217.5
523.5 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
I believe it's been proved many times over, gravitational waves was one of the last things it predicted to be observed.

It's not a theory as in 'Colombo has a theory'.

As far as practical applications, who knows? The ability to detect gravitational waves may pay off somewhere down the line. We wouldn't have reliable GPS or our sky tv satellites wouldn't work very well without an understanding of general relativity so I'd be bored at home and have no sat nav to go out.

The technical know how that went into the experiment is mind boggling. It measured a movement smaller than a fraction of a proton's width or something silly like that.
BillytheoldIcon...12-02-2016 @ 03:31 
Sugdens crazy old person.
Member 4936, 7288 posts
SQ 270, BP 155, DL 270
695.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Taos hum, HAARP. Something with tunnels of sound travel.
Do you ever hear a ringing sound and cannot figure out where it's comming from? I hope I don't have tinitious. I'm not trying to be funny. Just my imput.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...12-02-2016 @ 08:34 
Lost his pen, then found his pen. #phew
Member 4899, 2956 posts
It's still a theory, as far as I know.

And considering Columbo was nearly always right, I would upgrade his "theories".

Oh, and one more thing....
macrothIcon...12-02-2016 @ 09:02 
no longer the Swiss Deadlift record holder
Member 3517, 3368 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 122.5, DL 255
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
"A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation. As with most (if not all) forms of scientific knowledge, scientific theories are inductive in nature and aim for predictive power and explanatory capability.

The strength of a scientific theory is related to the diversity of phenomena it can explain, and to its elegance and simplicity. As additional scientific evidence is gathered, a scientific theory may be rejected or modified if it does not fit the new empirical findings; in such circumstances, a more accurate theory is then desired. In certain cases, the less-accurate unmodified scientific theory can still be treated as a theory if it is useful (due to its sheer simplicity) as an approximation under specific conditions (e.g., Newton's laws of motion as an approximation to special relativity at velocities which are small relative to the speed of light).

Scientific theories are usually testable and make falsifiable predictions. They describe the causal elements responsible for a particular natural phenomenon, and are used to explain and predict aspects of the physical universe or specific areas of inquiry (e.g., electricity, chemistry, astronomy). Scientists use theories as a foundation to gain further scientific knowledge, as well as to accomplish goals such as inventing technology or curing disease. Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess (i.e., unsubstantiated and speculative)."
BimIcon...12-02-2016 @ 09:07 
6:19.WTF
Member 3359, 3677 posts
SQ 250, BP 210, DL 295
755.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
^ Tldr - in science the word theory has a different meaning. A theory is a tried and tested hypothesis that is taken as fact, eg germ theory, theory of evolution.
AMH_PowerIcon...12-02-2016 @ 09:10 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Robbo91 said:This answer is based out of very little actual knowledge,
But doesn't it relate to time travel? Which is still theoretical, so as widely accepted as it might be it is yet to be proven and demonstrated so it has to still be a theory for now.

Q Factor and time dilation aren't a theory; its proven. We can travel into a relative future but not in the past. The faster an object travels, the slower its external time goes. So, you run ridiculously fast for 10 seconds on your watch. All your friends have died of old age...
Time is a universal invariant, and is correlated to speed.
Humans made the error of using the word time as the measurement of movement of earth orbit/spin etc, when real time is the relative rate of change. How far the earth has traveled (eg date) is NOT time in a real sense, just a practical sense.

Our time could slow and speed by 1000s of times over and we wouldn't know as its at every level.

Anyway. .

What we do now alters the past. Which sort of goes against the grain. Also proven with the quantum erasor and delayed choice experiment.
If you haven't looked into quantum mechanics yet... Check it out.

The wave duality experiment proves that all possibilities co exist until one os observed...proof that life is nothing but observation (and that we are either presented with what we observe (negating free will) or we pick our own...both equally as scary)
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...12-02-2016 @ 09:37 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
It is amusing listening to people talk about, say, the Theory of Evolution: "well, it's only a theory.."
Funky_monkeyIcon...12-02-2016 @ 10:36 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5121 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Travelling backwards in time won't exist in the future. If it has ever been invented by man, we'd have known about it.

Stephen Hawking proved this by hosting a party to celebrate time travel, then sending invites out. Nobody turned up.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...12-02-2016 @ 11:16 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Maybe they decided they didn't like him?
samue1sonIcon...12-02-2016 @ 12:27 
Member 4416, 1369 posts
SQ 210, BP 175, DL 240
625.0 kgs @ 122kgs UnEq
ChrisMcCarthy said:It is amusing listening to people talk about, say, the Theory of Evolution: "well, it's only a theory.."

As with all theories in science, they can be rejected or accepted but you should have an alternative theory to challenge it. The thing about theory of evolution is about us piecing together things and saying, "this looks like X or Y" might have happened* where-as there are other "theories" in science that happen each time before our eyes, every time we complete an experiment.

*might have happened = even amongst established evolutionist/biologists, there are often fundamental disagreements to how evolution has or has not come to be.

So, I don't mind if somebody says that X theory is wrong - it is important to challenge it with other plausible evidence.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions