REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 7 members and 126 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.

Hook grip advice.

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

123

Training & Training Videos is sponsored by Strength Shop - Check out our Equipment, New Products and Special Offers
WesIcon...06-01-2016 @ 22:55 
31.6 and Obese !! Get in....
Member 869, 1355 posts
SQ 320, BP 200, DL 310
830.0 kgs @ 97.5kgs Eq
Done 2 sessions with it now, only up to 180 1st week, then 210 last week before putting straps on. Years since I've used straps and it feels nice pulling double overhand.

2nd session using a hook already seemed to feel much less painful than 1st session. Will keep adding weight every session before popping straps on.
AdamTIcon...04-01-2017 @ 23:07 
AKA Big Rory
Member 4056, 4485 posts
Bump! I f**king love hookgrip!

I never use straps and find I can set my hips in a better position. Wish I had of tried it sooner!
OxmanIcon...14-04-2018 @ 19:19 
Avatar
Likes tight rubber
Member 2981, 10805 posts
SQ 242.5, BP 192.5, DL 330
765.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Epic thread bump.

Still trying to preserve with learning the hook grip. I find it doesn't hurt at all really but once I get in the region of 260kg-280kg it really doesn't feel secure at all and the bar starts to slip...any ideas what I am doing wrong?
AdamTIcon...15-04-2018 @ 11:51 
AKA Big Rory
Member 4056, 4485 posts
Oxman said:Epic thread bump.

Still trying to preserve with learning the hook grip. I find it doesn't hurt at all really but once I get in the region of 260kg-280kg it really doesn't feel secure at all and the bar starts to slip...any ideas what I am doing wrong?


Your poundage is much higher than mine, so I can't give great advice.

I just use fat bar deadlift doh for grip work and also plate pinches.

Long fingers and thumb also helps me with hook.

I do doh until about 70-80%, then switch to hook. Sometimes I start with it, to get my thumbs ready.
OxmanIcon...15-04-2018 @ 18:28 
Avatar
Likes tight rubber
Member 2981, 10805 posts
SQ 242.5, BP 192.5, DL 330
765.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
AdamT said:
Your poundage is much higher than mine, so I can't give great advice.
I just use fat bar deadlift doh for grip work and also plate pinches.
Long fingers and thumb also helps me with hook.
I do doh until about 70-80%, then switch to hook. Sometimes I start with it, to get my thumbs ready.


Cheers mate...will give some more added in grip work a go.
AdamTIcon...15-04-2018 @ 21:10 
AKA Big Rory
Member 4056, 4485 posts
Oxman said:
Cheers mate...will give some more added in grip work a go.


I liked plate pinch. Maybe hang with bar using finger grip.

Like I say, it's most likely much harder for someone with a higher strength level.

I find my hook is stronger than mixed now. Or least of a similar level.

It's just a skill that takes practice.
OxmanIcon...16-04-2018 @ 10:55 
Avatar
Likes tight rubber
Member 2981, 10805 posts
SQ 242.5, BP 192.5, DL 330
765.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
AdamT said:
I liked plate pinch. Maybe hang with bar using finger grip.
Like I say, it's most likely much harder for someone with a higher strength level.
I find my hook is stronger than mixed now. Or least of a similar level.
It's just a skill that takes practice.


Think I took it a little too lightly how hard it would be to convert, I have no pain doing it, it just slips still once over 260-280kg...I assumed i'd just lock in and grip wouldn't be an issue...just pain but its the other way around. Will just hammer the grip work and try to ease over...once I break past 300kg with it I know i'll be on my way.
BigMaccaIcon...16-04-2018 @ 13:31 
Avatar
I roast my own beans (coffee snobbery)
Member 798, 9402 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
Oxman said:
Think I took it a little too lightly how hard it would be to convert, I have no pain doing it, it just slips still once over 260-280kg...I assumed i'd just lock in and grip wouldn't be an issue...just pain but its the other way around. Will just hammer the grip work and try to ease over...once I break past 300kg with it I know i'll be on my way.

Hook grip shrugs, 3 sets of 8 once a week and add 5 kg a week.

Start somewhere comfy for you (180kg..?) and work from there.

Also, always tape the base of your thumbs - This doesn't help the discomfort or grip, but it means that if anything is going to tear it's the tape and not your skin!

Macca
matthewvcIcon...16-04-2018 @ 14:19 
Avatar
my friends call me TechnoJim
Member 5704, 2648 posts
SQ 0, BP 210, DL 320
530.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
Oxman said:
Think I took it a little too lightly how hard it would be to convert, I have no pain doing it, it just slips still once over 260-280kg...I assumed i'd just lock in and grip wouldn't be an issue...just pain but its the other way around. Will just hammer the grip work and try to ease over...once I break past 300kg with it I know i'll be on my way.


i've switched back to mixed grip after dropping so many lifts with torn thumbs from hooking.
mixed feels far stronger. think hook is a grip suited for larger hands that can full enclose the thumb with their fingers,
not males who have hand size almost as small as their 5' 2" girlfriend's Grin
OxmanIcon...16-04-2018 @ 14:46 
Avatar
Likes tight rubber
Member 2981, 10805 posts
SQ 242.5, BP 192.5, DL 330
765.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
BigMacca said:
Hook grip shrugs, 3 sets of 8 once a week and add 5 kg a week.
Start somewhere comfy for you (180kg..?) and work from there.
Also, always tape the base of your thumbs - This doesn't help the discomfort or grip, but it means that if anything is going to tear it's the tape and not your skin!
Macca


Ok mate....I do shrugs so will start doing them with hook grip...maybe do my heavy barbell rows like it too.

Odd thing with the tape it seems to make my grip worse though Unhappy
OxmanIcon...16-04-2018 @ 14:47 
Avatar
Likes tight rubber
Member 2981, 10805 posts
SQ 242.5, BP 192.5, DL 330
765.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
matthewvc said:
i've switched back to mixed grip after dropping so many lifts with torn thumbs from hooking.
mixed feels far stronger. think hook is a grip suited for larger hands that can full enclose the thumb with their fingers,
not males who have hand size almost as small as their 5' 2" girlfriend's Grin


I can fully hook...2 fingers over the thumb ok but grip still not secure as yet. Just need to keep working at it I guess.

Cheers mate.
AdamTIcon...16-04-2018 @ 15:36 
AKA Big Rory
Member 4056, 4485 posts
matthewvc said:
i've switched back to mixed grip after dropping so many lifts with torn thumbs from hooking.
mixed feels far stronger. think hook is a grip suited for larger hands that can full enclose the thumb with their fingers,
not males who have hand size almost as small as their 5' 2" girlfriend's Grin


I am lucky with quite long fingers and thumb. I use a slightly thicker bar and have no problem.

One problem I find, hooks are a bas***d for reps! Anything over 3 reps hurts like hell (if using near max loads)

123

© Sugden Barbell 2018 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto