REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 7 members and 42 guests
Image
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.

Lower back injury help

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12

FazcIconLower back injury help01-02-2013 @ 11:19 
Avatar
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6798 posts
SQ 202.5, BP 170, DL 255
627.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
A friend of mine was diagnosed with this:

"There is osteophytic lipping anterior or laterally from all the lumbar vertebral bodies. Narrowing of the L4-5, L5-S1 intervetebral disc space. On the oblique views the apophysoal joints and sacroilliac joints are normal. The changes in the lumbrasoaral spine are due to chages of spondylosis with degenerative disk disease at the l4-5, l5-s1 levels."

Bit of a long shot but does anyone know anything about it, is he completely f**ked? Doctors told him it probably wasn't the lifting that caused it.
bryceIcon...01-02-2013 @ 11:29 
Avatar
Juice loose aboot this hoose
Member 1401, 4004 posts
SQ 160, BP 107.5, DL 210
477.5 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
Is that not what Ste has?
RickFIcon...01-02-2013 @ 17:31 
Member 3090, 174 posts
SQ 230, BP 195, DL 290
715.0 kgs @ 115kgs Eq
I have basically exactly this.

Was told six months ago and told to stop all lifting. Two days ago I pulled 240 again... Nutrition supplements and so forth have helped massively.
JackRevansIcon...01-02-2013 @ 17:32 
Avatar
can just about manage a semi
Member 2477, 11809 posts
SQ 183, BP 140, DL 265
588.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 01.02.2013 @ 17:47 PM by JackRevans
RickF said:I have basically exactly this.

Was told six months ago and told to stop all lifting. Two days ago I pulled 240 again... Nutrition supplements and so forth have helped massively.


which nutrition suppliments help with this kind of thing?
Tom_MartinIcon...01-02-2013 @ 17:37 
Avatar
His dad trolls Megatron
Member 958, 11047 posts
SQ 272.5, BP 177, DL 360
809.5 kgs @ 91kgs UnEq
RickF said:I have basically exactly this.

Was told six months ago and told to stop all lifting. Two days ago I pulled 240 again... Nutrition supplements and so forth have helped massively.


Was it what we discussed a little bit about maybe possibly 6 months ago maybe?
FazcIcon...01-02-2013 @ 18:16 
Avatar
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6798 posts
SQ 202.5, BP 170, DL 255
627.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
RickF said:I have basically exactly this.

Was told six months ago and told to stop all lifting. Two days ago I pulled 240 again... Nutrition supplements and so forth have helped massively.


I think he'd really appreciate it if you expanded on that some more.

Thanks RickF.
FazcIcon...01-02-2013 @ 18:16 
Avatar
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6798 posts
SQ 202.5, BP 170, DL 255
627.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Tom_Martin said:
Was it what we discussed a little bit about maybe possibly 6 months ago maybe?


And you please.
brownbearIcon...01-02-2013 @ 19:09 
Avatar
Morrisons - rump - 7
Member 2206, 11196 posts
Post Edited: 02.02.2013 @ 23:14 PM by brownbear
What type pain does he have?
milsyIcon...01-02-2013 @ 19:17 
Avatar
Ne n coner a fuickex .ay ouse part we .be
Member 1425, 4336 posts
SQ 282.5, BP 200, DL 280
762.5 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Lower backs are s**t ....


That is all....
RickFIcon...01-02-2013 @ 19:39 
Member 3090, 174 posts
SQ 230, BP 195, DL 290
715.0 kgs @ 115kgs Eq
Tom_Martin said:
Was it what we discussed a little bit about maybe possibly 6 months ago maybe?




No, I'm too poor!

Lots and lots of water, glutamate, glucosamine, food, rest, foam roller and other supplements known for improving tendon growth and repair rates.


It's still far from perfect, but its no longer crippling
Funky_monkeyIcon...02-02-2013 @ 23:12 
Avatar
more funk than monk
Member 160, 2356 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 205
505.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 02.02.2013 @ 23:13 PM by Funky_monkey
Spondylosis IS degeneration of the vertebrae, so not sure why they said he has both.

Surely by performing strengthening exercises, this would overcome the degeneration of the vertebrae? I agree that foam rolling should help loosen up the fascia and allow things to move around (not just for the lumbar, but also glutes, piriformis, ITB, quads, hams etc.)

It's almost like telling someone with muscular dystrophy not to do hypertrophy work!?

I'd say he should do some light squats, deadlifts, stiff-legged deadlifts in order to increase the load his back is subjected to, thus strengthening the bones etc. If I manage to find the study of skeletal calcification in specific areas for specific sports, I'll forward it on (kickboxers having thicker bones in their shins, for example. Especially the mad Thai chaps that kick trees with their shins)

EDIT - AND DO SOME DE-LOADING EXERCISES LIKE CHINS/DEAD HANGS TO DECOMPRESS THE SPINE!
dr_hazbunIcon...03-02-2013 @ 08:23 
Avatar
The general public is very weak.
Member 267, 8333 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 250
635.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
Fazc said:A friend of mine was diagnosed with this:

"There is osteophytic lipping anterior or laterally from all the lumbar vertebral bodies. Narrowing of the L4-5, L5-S1 intervetebral disc space. On the oblique views the apophysoal joints and sacroilliac joints are normal. The changes in the lumbrasoaral spine are due to chages of spondylosis with degenerative disk disease at the l4-5, l5-s1 levels."

Bit of a long shot but does anyone know anything about it, is he completely f**ked? Doctors told him it probably wasn't the lifting that caused it.


This is more or less the exact same report from my MRI in 2009.

He'll be fine.
FazcIcon...03-02-2013 @ 09:54 
Avatar
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6798 posts
SQ 202.5, BP 170, DL 255
627.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Guys, I've directed him to this thread so I'm sure your comments will be appreciated. He was pretty upset at the initial diagnosis.

Adam, I don't really know tbh mate.
PeteIcon...03-02-2013 @ 10:27 
Avatar
has spent time in a modern educational setting
Member 47, 1214 posts
Funky_monkey said:Spondylosis IS degeneration of the vertebrae, so not sure why they said he has both.

Surely by performing strengthening exercises, this would overcome the degeneration of the vertebrae? I agree that foam rolling should help loosen up the fascia and allow things to move around (not just for the lumbar, but also glutes, piriformis, ITB, quads, hams etc.)

It's almost like telling someone with muscular dystrophy not to do hypertrophy work!?

I'd say he should do some light squats, deadlifts, stiff-legged deadlifts in order to increase the load his back is subjected to, thus strengthening the bones etc. If I manage to find the study of skeletal calcification in specific areas for specific sports, I'll forward it on (kickboxers having thicker bones in their shins, for example. Especially the mad Thai chaps that kick trees with their shins)

EDIT - AND DO SOME DE-LOADING EXERCISES LIKE CHINS/DEAD HANGS TO DECOMPRESS THE SPINE!


I'm certainly not claiming to be a doctor but, to me, this post makes a lot of sense.
hermanIcon...03-02-2013 @ 15:39 
Avatar
hermit
Member 3904, 953 posts
Decompress like a boss;

http://youtu.be/TU7bEr1ZyuQ?t=8m11s

12