Who's Online - 0 members and 168 guests

Natural strength potential

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

KevC86Icon...16-08-2018 @ 21:23 
Member 5141, 4199 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:
Also if anybody is struggling to progress and in the west yorkshire area, you are more than welcome to come lift with us in my humble gym/garage.

I must get around to taking you up on this offer one day.
AMH_PowerIcon...17-08-2018 @ 07:07 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
KevC86 said:
I must get around to taking you up on this offer one day.

Would be great mate!
mikecmIcon...17-08-2018 @ 21:22 
Member 6297, 99 posts
AMH_Power said:I have only ever known drug free, but of course. Why fit yourself in the curve of normality, there is ALWAYS the exception to the rule; the 99th percentile.

The biology of these people is often identical to the rest... what does differ is their will to succeed.

Anybody at that weight should hit that within a year in my opinion, and if not I guarantee it is rarely, if ever 'genetics'. It's because of a lack of commitment or moral fibre, or some other external factor like "oh, but I have to jog every day with my boyfriend" (diseases aside).

Honestly, if you are pitching that mediocre total as a question to your genetic limit then you are already setting yourself crazy low standard that you will probably never achieve.

Drug free lifters are hitting 50% more than that in the IPF...
Thats like asking if a 14 second 100m time is attainable drug free.

Maybe this is not what you wanted to hear, but you asked the question.

Not at all difficult for me to hear, nice to hear your take. In fact, I have been a big admirer of your lifts and to have your numbers drug free is something special so congrats.

The question really stemmed from a difficulty of reference, and was not necessarily aimed simply at the random total I suggested. I lift in a gym generally full of people who total lower than that, somewhere around that, or well above. The problem is that those well above clearly use and it is very difficult to decide whether say a 95kg guy sitting at 8-9bf doing say 230/160/270 is drug free, when they claim they are. The heavier lifters are generally not too reserved about admitting assistance.

In reality, I'm not far away from the random total I put out as an example anyway apart from my deadlift, in which I currently suffer from mental restrictions due to smashing my disc around 4 or 5 months ago. I wanted to really test the water from posters on here who will fall into either natty or assisted to see what they thought their natural potential was and when they decided that it was time for drug assistance.

Thanks all for responses.
AMH_PowerIcon...18-08-2018 @ 08:18 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
mikecm said:
Not at all difficult for me to hear, nice to hear your take. In fact, I have been a big admirer of your lifts and to have your numbers drug free is something special so congrats.
The question really stemmed from a difficulty of reference, and was not necessarily aimed simply at the random total I suggested. I lift in a gym generally full of people who total lower than that, somewhere around that, or well above. The problem is that those well above clearly use and it is very difficult to decide whether say a 95kg guy sitting at 8-9bf doing say 230/160/270 is drug free, when they claim they are. The heavier lifters are generally not too reserved about admitting assistance.
In reality, I'm not far away from the random total I put out as an example anyway apart from my deadlift, in which I currently suffer from mental restrictions due to smashing my disc around 4 or 5 months ago. I wanted to really test the water from posters on here who will fall into either natty or assisted to see what they thought their natural potential was and when they decided that it was time for drug assistance.
Thanks all for responses.

Happy to help mate if you need programming etc. Just give me a shout
mikecmIcon...21-08-2018 @ 10:09 
Member 6297, 99 posts
AMH_Power said:
Happy to help mate if you need programming etc. Just give me a shout

That's very kind of you mate, thanks a lot.

I'm not following a specific programme at the moment, mainly trying to build up general levels of strength and looking at broadly a heavy/low volume and light/high volume sessions on the key lifts. But perhaps this is not the right approach; I just feel that I need to have a high level of general strength before focusing too much...
1369philIcon...22-08-2018 @ 08:36 
doesnt work hard enough in the gym
Member 1492, 2138 posts
SQ 170, BP 145, DL 195
510.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:

The biology of these people is often identical to the rest... what does differ is their will to succeed.

Do you think this is as trainable as a muscle?
Reading stuff on people like David Goggins (endurance athlete) - he certainly thinks so.
As I approach my post illness strength levels with the help of some short Northerner I like to think it is.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions