Paul Savage training log

Users viewing topic: & 5 Guests

12345678910 ... ... 617618619620621622623624625626627

JackRevansIcon...04-11-2019 @ 09:21 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
RebeccaRoberts said:Oh dont get me wrong, i have no ill will against anyone who used PEDs, I just personally find it a greater achievement for myself knowing Ive done it without using anything.

That sounds like a reasonable way of thinking. Don't listen to Dan he is a poindexter
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...04-11-2019 @ 10:02 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22054 posts
I've just learnt a new word.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...04-11-2019 @ 10:02 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22054 posts
I've just learnt a new word.
PaulSavageIcon...18-11-2019 @ 14:57 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Alright ill post again (to those who have asked me to come back), does at least give me something to look back on as really dont post my thoughts anywhere else properly. If you just want to troll me though, firstly f**k you, secondly i probably wont bother to read your posts. Ill reply to a couple of the comments now then ill move on to review worlds an s**t like that.
AdamTIcon...18-11-2019 @ 15:02 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5207 posts
PaulSavage said:Alright ill post again (to those who have asked me to come back), does at least give me something to look back on as really dont post my thoughts anywhere else properly. If you just want to troll me though, firstly f**k you, secondly i probably wont bother to read your posts. Ill reply to a couple of the comments now then ill move on to review worlds an s**t like that.

Good man Paul, I have always enjoyed your posting and we have had no issues!!

Considering I am starting to focus on grip, I may even steal a few things Wink
PaulSavageIcon...18-11-2019 @ 15:03 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
KevC86 said:
Correct, that is generally how conversations move on.
No one doubts your ability. I'm just thinking back to your esteemed coach saying you would crush them both and wondering if that has happened yet.
As an FYI, drug free really has no relevance.

Her ability has been doubting by many. Never said that, same thing, find a quote - doesn't exist.

I once said i thought she 'could' have won worlds a few years back, as in would have had a fair shot at it with a good prep. That was not true, as i didnt realise how much she would struggle to get the technique on log etc but i never got the level of the competitors wrong or Becca's overall level wrong. She was one of the best then, and is one of the best now. Obviously the women have got massively stronger in the last few years.
PaulSavageIcon...18-11-2019 @ 15:06 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
KevC86 said:
How many times have you beaten her? Or Donna?

This is like me asking you how many times you have beat Brian shaw or Thor, and at 24 and drug free with 3 years experience.
PaulSavageIcon...18-11-2019 @ 16:15 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 18.11.2019 @ 16:18 PM by PaulSavage
So as for worlds ill do a quick review of it and what exactly happened in my eyes. Firstly the prep was the worst we had done in all contests by a mile due to her chest infection. 3 lots of antibiotics and literally the entire final prep on them and with the chest infection just made things pretty much impossible. I adjusted things as best i possibly could but a lot of things were not an option, anything over a few reps was hard for her, any kind of moving would make her worse, her strength was way down and her fitness was awful. Probably more importantly though she just couldnt train much so hadnt been able to practice the events and everyone that knows anything about this game knows thats a f**ker. I knew going in there was zero chance she would win, there was no way, i knew andrea had some injury issues so wasnt sure how she would do other than obviously the deadlift and i knew viking press she would do good too but donna looked super focused and had been preparing for a long time. Fithen also looked like she had a really good prep but knew she would still struggle with the farmers etc I thought Brooke also had some good events in there though would be slightly down on the pressing but i thought the places would be what they were minus victoria long who nobody knew who the f**k she was coming in. I seen it donna, andrea, jess, then either becca or brooke. That was with me thinking the chest infection had gone though, which it seemed like was the case and she had finsihed the last course of anti biotics, but it wasnt, she really struggled to breathe and it pretty much killed her on every event an got worse with each day.

So onto the review

Day 1

Event 1 - Viking press

Becca has never came close to losing a viking press, shes beat some of the best pressers in the world on this and easily so even with the s**t prep i still thought she had a chance to win going in. Started out fine but then basically completely died and only used the first half of time. Obviously the ability to get air in would have helped but the other thing was cns again wasnt firing properly she wasnt able to fight a single rep at all. That was the case all prep with the infection, Knew straight away with annabell getting 8 reps an becca only 10 this was a very poor performance as last time at bodypower at 110kg (this was 130kg) annabell got i think 12 an becca did 24 easy with 10 seconds to go. The facing the other way thing was a little different and made it harder and going out before the others mattered too but still this was an awful result, definitely an event she should be getting 20+ on and winning but just had no power, couldnt fight reps at all and zero conditioning. Basically at this point im thinking this is not going to go well :/

Event 2 - farmers walk

This was a bit too light for my liking think it was 111kg so grip wasnt too much of a factor but still, it was going to be a quick event at least so i thought maybe it could go better? Nope, was several seconds off what she should be at with this weight, i was looking for 17-18 seconds an she got 24 so it was s**t basically. The turn wasnt actually that bad, thought it was worse at the time but she just wasn't quick like she noramlly is, i remember thinking she looked super slow at the time. Possibly was going slower so she could breathe, had done that a good bit in training too but yeah havent seen her move this slow with that weight unless shes been smashed from previous events so not good sign early in a contest.

Still at this point theres donna and victoria in joint 1st, then andrea in 2nd (or 3rd?) and becca a half point back in 3rd (or 4th?) so not that bad considering how far down she is on her best.

Day 2

Event 3 - deadlift ladder

So she was coughing up phlem again at this point and this went wank in warm ups, i didnt want to say but i was a bit concerned she wouldnt even get the 3rd bar (225kg), 185kg was SLOW in warm ups and she just hadnt done hardly any deadlift training. The other factor was we had to rush in 2 heavyish deadlift / events sessions in last minute so i just dont think she was fully recovered but otherwise would be basically coming in pretty much untrained so i figured it was best to do them as at that point on new anti biotics she was breathing better. Ended up doing the planned 3 reps and not bothering with the last one, but was just a bit slower than planned. She had only ended up practicing the technique she was using once kind of diving down to the bar mixed grip and gripped the right side on the 3rd a bit off an started to tear a callus so called it. That was fine, i think with a rest and strapping up with her usual style she could have got this last one but the knurling was f**king her hands as was super sharp new bars and it wouldnt have mattered anyway as the others would have done them quicker anyway and she was still quickest to 3 bars out of the finalists so on that front perfect game plan. Honestly this was a good performance for where she was at as the planned final 3 weeks out heavy deadlift was supposed to be 260kg for a triple and think she did 225kg total for a triple 9 days out in the end and couldnt do even 200kg before that failed multiple sessions. 7 got all weights (247kg was the last) pretty quick and becca was after them in 8th i think.

Event 4 - medley

This was a big worry with the chest infection but there was 90 seconds and the drag was pretty hard so i figured she could still do pretty good as she would be the strongest on the drag and a lot wouldnt finish. Plan was take time on the implements to try save energy then destroy the drag. Absolutely no doubt fresh she could have done that drag in like 10 seconds but the implements took everything out of her. One of the issues was the husafelt was really low down and she hasnt ever used one like that before so miss gripped it and couldnt pick it up at first, then when she did get it didnt get the right technique on it and it was way slower because of this. That cost her a lot of time and a lot of energy and was probably the difference from doing well to doing not so good. Practised and fit she would have done really well at this event as shes good with the heavy implements (they were good and heavy) and even better with a heavy drag but wasnt going to happen on this day. She tried REALLY hard to even get the result she did.

Overall dropped down to 8th.

Day 3 - finals

Event 5 - axle

Had never used a fixed axle so i made sure she got a good bit of practice in on it before they started and actually warm ups looked great. She just got the technique wrong and tried to fight it while doing that which killed her off after the 1st rep. This was really the only event where she performed poorly to what she could actually do as i have no doubt she could have got 3-4 reps getting it right but this is where it would have been a lot better to use a fixed implement and be more specific which was the original plan before the sickness but still, maybe thats something we could have done differently possibly, not sure though as would have been worse for other events as she had very limited opportunities to train. 3 reps would have got her joint 3rd i believe and a lot more points.

Event 6 - power stairs

I actually thought she could win this one even in her current state. The other girls did a little better than i thought, especially victoria long who was night and day better than the others but becca just didnt seem to have much left, i think having to fight with that husafelt so much as killed her back power as these werent that heavy for her even out of shape. Still got her best result here getting 4th but yeah wasnt great either haha

Overall - 7th

Obviously not what we wanted but it is what it is, still getting 7th best on the planet in this kind of shape is very hard to do and we have learnt a lot about how the contest runs etc so that will help for next year where hopefully she won't get sick.
PaulSavageIcon...18-11-2019 @ 16:29 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
As for what now, the plan is very different for this year as last year Becca needed more experience to combat her nerves etc Thats no longer an issue so next year will be much fewer contests and very long prep for worlds with a lot of event practice as even if she wasn't sick, it still wouldnt have been enough time after doing arnold europes 5 weeks before. This time that's not an option. Its annoying not to get the pro card but it's got to be one or the other with too close together. As for me, im just going to try do the same things becca is doing an go from there, its more laid back training for now so maybe i can but tendon issues in my arms are still a big problem. 1st training back tonight.
danbaseleyIcon...18-11-2019 @ 17:06 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4479 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
Touch an go with deadlift bar I'll have her doing 20 repper on 200k as a junior an then have her go after the all time powerlifting record total. That's the plan anyway, she's certainly got the potential to do it. She can also cert the coc #3 for sure.

Nope.
danbaseleyIcon...18-11-2019 @ 17:08 
Member 1252, 4479 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
Ah right I don't really know many females in strength game but yeah they all f**ked. Not weightlifting as that's more technique and flexibility but she's capable of being world powerlifting, grip, strongwoman and arm wrestling champion at the same time. Never came across anything like it. She's done 220kg deadlift an 230kg squat at 20 and never used a belt, never done any assistance work, only trained weights for 2 years etc an she's 6 foot 1 so not a short rom. She's also done 20 pull ups at 104kg bodyweight an her grip is frightening already.

This too, did not come to pass.
danbaseleyIcon...18-11-2019 @ 17:11 
Member 1252, 4479 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
Yeah, becca can do well over 150kg stone.
danbaseleyIcon...18-11-2019 @ 17:12 
Member 1252, 4479 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
No I'm meaning she can do that easy with training. She's never done stones but she has really long arms plus strong fingers, wrists, core, biceps and quads so she would be very good at it.

Oh. That's what you meant. And still no.
danbaseleyIcon...18-11-2019 @ 17:20 
Member 1252, 4479 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Just finished the long term review of OSG for you Vs your cockamamie, delusional one!

The funny thing is, and by funny - I mean with a massive serving of pathos - 'Becca probably could be a triple crown champion.

With the right coach.
danbaseleyIcon...18-11-2019 @ 17:32 
Member 1252, 4479 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
JackRevans said:
That sounds like a reasonable way of thinking. Don't listen to Dan he is a poindexter

Word!!!

12345678910 ... ... 617618619620621622623624625626627

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions