REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 5 members and 101 guests
Image
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.
You are here: HomeForumNutritionQuestion about protein

Question about protein

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JackRevansIconQuestion about protein19-03-2017 @ 07:07 
Avatar
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 15365 posts
SQ 185, BP 95, DL 220
500.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
This question has kind of been driving me mad for a while now. I have been lead to believe that when you consume excess protein you piss it out. I have also been lead to believe that when you consume excess protein you store it as fat. Which one is it? I understand that excess callories are stored as fat, that makes a great deal of sense. But how does one simultaneously store protein as fat while pissing it out? Perhaps I am getting confused somewhere.

Also a sperate but related question. Do individual amino acids have the same calorie density? Like if you had 10g of pure leucine would that be exactly the same 40kcal as if you had 10g of protein made up of a veritable plethora of amino acids?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm just having a hard time getting my head round the concepts.
BigMaccaIcon...19-03-2017 @ 10:18 
Avatar
I roast my own beans (coffee snobbery)
Member 798, 9284 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
JackRevans said:This question has kind of been driving me mad for a while now. I have been lead to believe that when you consume excess protein you piss it out. I have also been lead to believe that when you consume excess protein you store it as fat. Which one is it? I understand that excess callories are stored as fat, that makes a great deal of sense. But how does one simultaneously store protein as fat while pissing it out? Perhaps I am getting confused somewhere.

Also a sperate but related question. Do individual amino acids have the same calorie density? Like if you had 10g of pure leucine would that be exactly the same 40kcal as if you had 10g of protein made up of a veritable plethora of amino acids?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm just having a hard time getting my head round the concepts.

Homo!
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...19-03-2017 @ 11:39 
Avatar
Ripped anuses heal quickly in my experience
Member 400, 17881 posts
I don't know what you're talking about, but I did enjoy your use of the word "plethora".
JackRevansIcon...19-03-2017 @ 14:22 
Avatar
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 15365 posts
SQ 185, BP 95, DL 220
500.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:I don't know what you're talking about, but I did enjoy your use of the word "plethora".


It seemed more appropriate than "cornucopia" in the context of nutrition
scruffmcbuffIcon...19-03-2017 @ 18:17 
the new longest serving member without a tagline
Member 5958, 1518 posts
SQ 380, BP 215, DL 340
935.0 kgs @ 135kgs Eq
JackRevans said:
It seemed more appropriate than "cornucopia" in the context of nutrition


A cornucopia is always best used in reference to opiates.

Your bedevillement of protien could be answered by CAJ if he breaks his vow of silance.
CAJIcon...19-03-2017 @ 19:26 
Avatar
Is entitled to have absurd opinions
Member 6043, 685 posts
Hello. Happy

Jacques,

Amino Acids, 4 kCal per gram in any configuration, be it solitary isolation or vast cornucopia.

Excess protein is converted to glucose which can be used for energy or stored as fat, I vaguely remember this process involving the stripping of nitrogen molecules and it's these nitrogen waste products which are pissed out.

So you're not pissing out protein so to speak, you are converting it to glucose for energy and pissing out the byproducts which is why some people argue excessive protein intake is harsh on the kidneys due to processing/filtering of all those nitrogen nasties.

That should answer the bulk of your question as I understand it. I'm not a biologist or chemist or biochemist but I am a toastie enthusiast.

X
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...19-03-2017 @ 22:19 
Avatar
Ripped anuses heal quickly in my experience
Member 400, 17881 posts
Maybe stefan should be consulted on this.
NimbleIcon...20-03-2017 @ 06:27 
Avatar
Member 4748, 779 posts
SQ 147, BP 122, DL 227
496.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
CAJ said:Hello. Happy

Jacques,

Amino Acids, 4 kCal per gram in any configuration, be it solitary isolation or vast cornucopia.

Excess protein is converted to glucose which can be used for energy or stored as fat, I vaguely remember this process involving the stripping of nitrogen molecules and it's these nitrogen waste products which are pissed out.

So you're not pissing out protein so to speak, you are converting it to glucose for energy and pissing out the byproducts which is why some people argue excessive protein intake is harsh on the kidneys due to processing/filtering of all those nitrogen nasties.

That should answer the bulk of your question as I understand it. I'm not a biologist or chemist or biochemist but I am a toastie enthusiast.

X


This. Excess protein might also increase protein turnover, i.e the breaking down and rebuilding of muscle tissue etc. but without it leading to gains in leans mass (MPS = MPB).

There is some evidence that too high protein:carbs ratio may have a -ve impact on test levels, but i'm not sure how conclusive this is.
JackRevansIcon...20-03-2017 @ 11:05 
Avatar
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 15365 posts
SQ 185, BP 95, DL 220
500.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Enjoyable answer, thank you very much.

How do you know so much about the topic?
CAJIcon...20-03-2017 @ 11:12 
Avatar
Is entitled to have absurd opinions
Member 6043, 685 posts
JackRevans said:Enjoyable answer, thank you very much.

How do you know so much about the topic?


I am quite well educated in stuff like that, not to the extent that some in here are but I have a decent understanding, even more so with my venturing into the world of soft tissue work as the more you know about anatomy and physiology the better you will do
You are here: HomeForumNutritionQuestion about protein
© Sugden Barbell 2017 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto