REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 129 guests

The biggest bullshit in strength :- either equipment, diet or advice ?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

slow_lift_joeIconThe biggest bullshit in strength :- either equipment, diet or advice ?07-02-2018 @ 22:40 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
How much bulls**t is out there today with so called experts on the internet
to the latest novelty fad to some crazy diet.

My BS list is as follows :-

Equipment :- Suspension Straps and Wellness Gym Balls, please spare me.
Diet/Food :- Supplements :- Come on surely what a pricing joke and a complete con in most cases.
Program Advice :- Internet experts, I have done the program/s and these are the pro and cons and how I would improve it, these Mr expert types drive me insane.
Plus no decent print media on strength/powerlifting just glossy brand driven fitness magazines and internet experts with no proven achievements or recognised certifications.

My point is the strength/fitness/muscle industry is now a cash cow and a glossy public relations con. To understand strength you need to get to grips with the basic principles and know the genuine accomplished talent and coaches out there.
Plus the same for sports nutrition.

Please give me your views.....

Happy
matthewvcIcon...07-02-2018 @ 22:55 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3207 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
slow_lift_joe said:How much bulls**t is out there today with so called experts on the internet

Diet/Food :- Supplements :- Come on surely what a pricing joke and a complete con in most cases.
Program Advice :- Internet experts, I have done the program/s and these are the pro and cons and how I would improve it, these Mr expert types drive me insane.
Plus no decent print media on strength/powerlifting just glossy brand driven fitness magazines and internet experts with no proven achievements or recognised certifications.

My point is the strength/fitness/muscle industry is now a cash cow and a glossy public relations con. To understand strength you need to get to grips with the basic principles and know the genuine accomplished talent and coaches out there.

Happy

there's a magazine called british strength magazine. it's quite good.
slow_lift_joeIcon...07-02-2018 @ 23:35 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
Thanks Matthew, Never heard of it, I will look for it.

I know Pullum Sports have a good selection of books and DVD's etc.
Also I have been recommended that the USA do some good magazines.

Thanks.Happy
unit94Icon...07-02-2018 @ 23:53 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10432 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Suspension straps are a good tool, I mean theyre pretty much the same as rings but still very useful
slow_lift_joeIcon...08-02-2018 @ 00:08 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
Point taken, but some suspension straps are silly prices for fabric strips.

We could really debate what is a real strength building product to what is a support device to what is complete con.

Suspension straps are a support device like dare I say it Kettlebells.
Kettlebells are good for conditioning but they cannot build strength like a barbell.

There is more flexibility products and conditioning products today then years ago and advancement in equipment is a good thing but door support pull bars with foam handles and lets lift some weight on a large rubber ball, please.

Happy
Funky_monkeyIcon...08-02-2018 @ 08:03 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5120 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
slow_lift_joe said:Thanks Matthew, Never heard of it, I will look for it.

I know Pullum Sports have a good selection of books and DVD's etc.
Also I have been recommended that the USA do some good magazines.

Thanks.Happy

I have a few full copies (I believe it's the first six) if you want me to email them over to you. Interviews with top lifters, comp write-ups, seminar write-ups etc.
PikefingersIcon...08-02-2018 @ 09:51 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
I would say supplements in general are the biggest bulls**t in strength sport. They are marketed like magic beans.
matthewvcIcon...08-02-2018 @ 10:25 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3207 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
Pikefingers said:I would say supplements in general are the biggest bulls**t in strength sport. They are marketed like magic beans.

one that sticks out is a product called 'anaconda' - it was all over t-nation website.
it was a 'stack' (another trick: use steroid terms when marketing legal supps) of various pills and powders
that claimed to do no end of amazing things to myostatin, cAMP signalling, protein synthesis etc. etc.

cost something like $400/month to run a 'cycle' (again, more AAS terms..) and had various shills on there
claiming gains like 30lbs of lean muscle in 3 months doing it.
umpalumpalifterIcon...08-02-2018 @ 11:58 
Member 5836, 366 posts
SQ 220, BP 137.5, DL 235
592.5 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
slow_lift_joe said:How much bulls**t is out there today with so called experts on the internet

Happy

One person's bulls**t is another person's tool.

Suspension straps/rings I've used loads as ancillary work and liked some of the benefits it offers.

Protein powders and carb powders care a handy convenience tool to help stay on track diet wise.

Door way pull up bars helped me hit a bodyweight plus 40kg pull up and hit twenty bodyweight pull ups.

Think it depends on use more often than not
GordyIcon...08-02-2018 @ 13:44 
Member 5418, 383 posts
Post Edited: 14.08.2018 @ 15:28 PM by Gordy
JohnIcon...08-02-2018 @ 17:25 
#biggef
Member 5263, 3492 posts
SQ 260, BP 195, DL 260
715.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
Pre work out and training program's written by people that have never moved any weight and haven't got a clue how to. Unhappy
dannyboy73Icon...08-02-2018 @ 17:47 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
True.

When I was younger I bough all sorts of rubbish.

Now, a cheap myprotein powder is enough for me.

Unless they bring back the marvelous FRAC that is...

Pikefingers said:I would say supplements in general are the biggest bulls**t in strength sport. They are marketed like magic beans.
matthewvcIcon...08-02-2018 @ 21:13 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3207 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
John said:Pre work out and training program's written by people that have never moved any weight and haven't got a clue how to. Unhappy

PwO are my ultimate supplement pet hate. first of all the stupid naming of them all - either something to do with being 'insane', 'crazed' or a reference to an apex predator or powerful animal like a rhino or tiger etc.

second - marketing the idea every f**king workout should be an intense do or die session. So they're popular amongst the gymshark wearing IG idiots - the type who are forever 'killing it' 'smashing it' and have lots of things 'on point' or 'dialed in'.

Third - because any decent stims are illegal, any effect is 99% the high dose caffeine they contain, so you can achieve the same boost by spending £1 on some Tesco brand caffeine tablets and taking a handful before heading to the gym wearing your gymshark vest and flat brimmed cap to 'smash' 20 sets of tricep kickbacks and preacher curls (after all, if its not 'chest day' its 'arm day')
PeteHodgsonIcon...08-02-2018 @ 21:27 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
You need the beta alinine tho!
I love the tingle.
It doesn't seem to actually do anything but you can feel it 'working'
I actually do use pre workout o at least beta alinine. Before work! And before training.
Hope it's not gonna kill me.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...08-02-2018 @ 22:04 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22018 posts
Loal @ a highly expensive chalk bowl on wheels Grin

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions