REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 4 members and 127 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.

Time for an u120kg weight class?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... ... 2728293031323334353637

General Bullshit is sponsored by Robert Baraban Power Products - Strong arms with handmade products.
JCIcon...09-05-2012 @ 14:52 
Avatar
technical retard
Member 172, 36834 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
RyanH said:I would like to point out aswell, that there are u105 guys that really restrict themselves to stay in the 105's seemingly because opens is too big of a jump. These people would really benefit from this category as a stepping block like i said before.

Also if the 120kg division did kick off maybe it would do what the 90's did but to the opens, which seemed to be the u90's weights kept going up which then pushed the 105 standard up. Wasnt the only factor but thats what it seemed to do at least.


Lets be honest, "heavy" 105s would not use 120KG cat as a stepping block to opens. They would compete at 120, if they didnt have the same level iof success at 120 cat, as 105, they'd come back down to 105s IMO

And again, as I said before, if you have a 120 cat, with day before weigh in, you will end up with guys close to 130 competing on the day
bryceIcon...09-05-2012 @ 14:53 
Avatar
Juice loose aboot this hoose
Member 1401, 3966 posts
SQ 160, BP 107.5, DL 210
477.5 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
Stetec said:What other sport would have such a mismatched, erm, match?


Weightlifting only has a SHW class of 105+
StetecIcon...09-05-2012 @ 14:55 
Avatar
Thing thinks he can decide what goes here. He cant
Member 354, 1452 posts
Yeah but it has far less in the way of event variety. But good point.
martinbIcon...09-05-2012 @ 14:57 
Avatar
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
JC said:ENGLAND SOUTHERN QUAL FOR ARNOLDS AM:

Events:

1. Log Max starting at 130kg

2 .Yoke 400kg's 15m drop turn 15m back

3 .Dumbell medley 60,70,80,90,100 .60sec's

4 .Farmers 150kg 15m up 15m back

5 .Deadlift reps 300kg 60sec's [straps only]

I'm sorry, if at 120 you cant do most of the above, and with some, maybe not all do it rapidly/do 3-4 implements, then you're just not strong enough



JC, that comp is not geared to 120 guys, its geared towards 150 + guys. Most 120 guys, unless they are hixxy, would just be making up the numbers, getting a rep here and a rep there, DULL AS DISHWATER
RyanHIcon...09-05-2012 @ 15:00 
Avatar
Big fish in a small pond
Member 1150, 2091 posts
Your right JC not everyone would use it as a stepping stone, some people might be happy to stay at 120kg, some people that are under 6ft might feel that is as big as they want to get.

If some 120kg comps do happen they will be a testing ground based on weather they would be the interest and how successful they are would determine if to go further with it
JCIcon...09-05-2012 @ 15:01 
Avatar
technical retard
Member 172, 36834 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
martinb said:
JC, that comp is not geared to 120 guys, its geared towards 150 + guys. Most 120 guys, unless they are hixxy, would just be making up the numbers, getting a rep here and a rep there, DULL AS DISHWATER


I'm sorry Martin, I disagree strongly. If you cant move rapidly with 400 yoke/150 farmers, do 130+ log pretty comfortabley etc @ 120KG, you're are not strong enough

I know a good few 105s who would NOT struggle at that comp
TobyCutlerIcon...09-05-2012 @ 15:05 
Avatar
Allegedly very strong, but only Carls word for it
Member 682, 838 posts
What would an 'ideal' u120kg comp look like then?
Darrenmac1988Icon...09-05-2012 @ 15:05 
Avatar
Your living your dream buddy, never forget that!
Member 1873, 894 posts
Post Edited: 09.05.2012 @ 15:07 PM by Darrenmac1988
What harm can it cause. The sport has evolved so much since its conception. We now have 4 weight classes which each help to make the sport grow and appeal to more and more people. The only way to know for sure is try it and see. Everyone is going to have their own opinion on the matter but after the recent success of BSM u80 we should all be open to new weight classes. Saying that u105s need to get stronger to compete with the opens is nonsense. Thats like saying all the u80 guys are too weak for u90 which would be insane. It's just another weight category to compete at not an easy way out if your not strong/big enough for the opens.
JCIcon...09-05-2012 @ 15:06 
Avatar
technical retard
Member 172, 36834 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
TobyCutler said:What would an 'ideal' u120kg comp look like then?


Like a heavy 105 comp by the sounds of it!?
martinbIcon...09-05-2012 @ 15:08 
Avatar
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
JC said:
Like a heavy 105 comp by the sounds of it!?


Yup, HEAVIER
bigbadbishIcon...09-05-2012 @ 15:09 
Avatar
A World class farmer
Member 576, 3429 posts
SQ 350, BP 200, DL 400
950.0 kgs @ 136kgs UnEq
martinb said:
JC said:ENGLAND SOUTHERN QUAL FOR ARNOLDS AM:

Events:

1. Log Max starting at 130kg

2 .Yoke 400kg's 15m drop turn 15m back

3 .Dumbell medley 60,70,80,90,100 .60sec's

4 .Farmers 150kg 15m up 15m back

5 .Deadlift reps 300kg 60sec's [straps only]

I'm sorry, if at 120 you cant do most of the above, and with some, maybe not all do it rapidly/do 3-4 implements, then you're just not strong enough



JC, that comp is not geared to 120 guys, its geared towards 150 + guys. Most 120 guys, unless they are hixxy, would just be making up the numbers, getting a rep here and a rep there, DULL AS DISHWATER


Yep you're right, i made up the numbers weighing 118kg and came 3rd all without a PCL Wink. Oh and Chris weighing around 100kg came 4th on the day beasting most events and only struggling a bit with the deadlift.

I for one would not be interested in a u120 class. Weight classes suck. In opens you get to turn up later, don't have to worry about what you weigh, ultimately come in stronger and beat some larger guys on the movement events.
RyanHIcon...09-05-2012 @ 15:09 
Avatar
Big fish in a small pond
Member 1150, 2091 posts
Wasnt the u80's basically a u90 comp?
TobyCutlerIcon...09-05-2012 @ 15:09 
Avatar
Allegedly very strong, but only Carls word for it
Member 682, 838 posts
martinb said:
Yup, HEAVIER


How heavy? An event list in mind?
RobboIcon...09-05-2012 @ 15:09 
Avatar
When I have enough cash, I get a deep tissue.
Member 465, 10253 posts
SQ 240, BP 175, DL 300
715.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Is the calling for a 120kg cat for guys who are in no mans land when it comes to opens?

A national level 120kg cat will be just as heavy as any open qualifiers imo. The 105 quals and national finals are generally heavy as f**k and not far behind so a 120kg cat would be hardly any different.

If the 120kg guys are thinking they can be competitive in a 120kg class I think they might be mistaken if they already arnt stong enough to step up to opens qualifiers.
JCIcon...09-05-2012 @ 15:09 
Avatar
technical retard
Member 172, 36834 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
bigbadbish said:
Yep you're right, i made up the numbers weighing 118kg and came 3rd all without a PCL Wink. Oh and Chris weighing around 100kg came 4th on the day beasting most events and only struggling a bit with the deadlift.
I for one would not be interested in a u120 class. Weight classes suck. In opens you get to turn up later, don't have to worry about what you weigh, ultimately come in stronger and beat some larger guys on the movement events.


Legend!

12345678910 ... ... 2728293031323334353637

© Sugden Barbell 2017 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto