REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 155 guests

Which is safer , Raw, single ply or multi ply lifting for powerlifting?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

chrisjenkinsIconWhich is safer , Raw, single ply or multi ply lifting for powerlifting?18-10-2012 @ 12:04 
enter the welsh dragon
Member 738, 2297 posts
SQ 372.5, BP 237.5, DL 355
965.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
I was in the gym last week chatting with a friend of mine who has had some recent health issues over the last few months. He made a passing comment that powerlifting suits made blood pressure rise dramatically when lifting heavy weights and in his opinion, raw lifting was safer, granted the weights are sensibly increased and knee wraps are used on very heavy sets for squatting. Granted Multiply lifting really beefs up your lifting weights, but I feel much more physically screwed up squatting top end weights in a canvas or Boss suit, than my heavy raw sets. Everything aside, getting a personal best in a suit and raw, both seem to give me the same level of euphoria and sense of accomplishment. So f**ks knows, what you think?
MattD90Icon...18-10-2012 @ 12:14 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 18.10.2012 @ 12:15 PM by MattD90
Interesting thread, I know alot of people that say:

Heavy equipped lifting has the most freak sudden accidents on the platform, things snapping, weights being dropped on people where something has suddenly given, etc

BUT in terms of long term health, completely raw lifters are usually the ones with knackered knees etc by the time they're old as maxing raw often over a lifetime beats you up alot more than equipped

(Not my opinions, things I've heard here and there)
SteveIcon...18-10-2012 @ 12:17 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
chrisjenkins said:I was in the gym last week chatting with a friend of mine who has had some recent health issues over the last few months. He made a passing comment that powerlifting suits made blood pressure rise dramatically when lifting heavy weights and in his opinion, raw lifting was safer, granted the weights are sensibly increased and knee wraps are used on very heavy sets for squatting. Granted Multiply lifting really beefs up your lifting weights, but I feel much more physically screwed up squatting top end weights in a canvas or Boss suit, than my heavy raw sets. Everything aside, getting a personal best in a suit and raw, both seem to give me the same level of euphoria and sense of accomplishment. So f**ks knows, what you think?

I would have thought if you are exerting maximium effort for the same period of tme the effects on blood pressure should be relatively similar whether you are raw or equipped.

Ultimately I would have thought all types of powerlifting were excellent means of achieving fitness as you age especially if combined with some form of aerobic work and are far safer than many of the popular sports people take part in to keep fit and healthy.
chrisjenkinsIcon...18-10-2012 @ 12:42 
enter the welsh dragon
Member 738, 2297 posts
965.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
Post Edited: 18.10.2012 @ 12:44 PM by chrisjenkins
I was thinking the same on both fronts, equipped lifting would possibly allow older, maybe even injured lifters the chance to compete a little longer. That being said, for squatting the amount of weight on your back is greatly increased. I find with raw squatting, well for me its easier to gauge your own strength levels are at. When you stick a suit on, the amount of weight you can handle is greatly increased. I find it much easier to stand up with 270kg raw, than 370kg equipped. Depending on the suit, getting a bench shirt on is a form of cardio itself. I prefer to train plenty of aerobic stuff the majority of the year and mix it with heavy powerlifting. Its only near a contest that I cut it down, even then I'm like a blue ass fly and still do some form of cardio.
Funky_monkeyIcon...18-10-2012 @ 12:44 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5120 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Belt and wraps is the safest I think. RAW raw puts too much stress on the knees, especially ones where you've got to squat very deep. Multiply definitely places more stress on the joints.
chrisjenkinsIcon...18-10-2012 @ 12:45 
enter the welsh dragon
Member 738, 2297 posts
965.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
Funky_monkey said:Belt and wraps is the safest I think. RAW raw puts too much stress on the knees, especially ones where you've got to squat very deep. Multiply definitely places more stress on the joints.

I think I agree with the raw plus knee wraps. Possibly much safer than canvas suit plus monolift Happy
Tom_MartinIcon...18-10-2012 @ 12:50 
No one believed him anyway.
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Steve said:
I would have thought if you are exerting maximium effort for the same period of tme the effects on blood pressure should be relatively similar whether you are raw or equipped.
Ultimately I would have thought all types of powerlifting were excellent means of achieving fitness as you age especially if combined with some form of aerobic work and are far safer than many of the popular sports people take part in to keep fit and healthy.

Regarding duration of time spent exerting maximum effort.

Consider a raw squat. Let's pretend that most effort is exerted at the bottom, then the top easy, and let's pretend we never saw the Pat Mendes video.

Consider an equipped squat, where the suit helps you lift say....100kg more at the bottom of the lift. Your normally easy top half of the lift is now 100kg more, and so maximum force is exerted for more of the overall lift.

Does that actually happen?
milsyIcon...18-10-2012 @ 12:52 
Ne n coner a fuickex .ay ouse part we .be
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
Abit off topic but as the knee issue has been braught up I don't know if its just me but the only time I have ever had knee pain is when using wraps or when I started box squatting to parallel never had issues with sleeves and squatting deep with a bounce
chrisjenkinsIcon...18-10-2012 @ 12:56 
enter the welsh dragon
Member 738, 2297 posts
965.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
milsy said:Abit off topic but as the knee issue has been braught up I don't know if its just me but the only time I have ever had knee pain is when using wraps or when I started box squatting to parallel never had issues with sleeves and squatting deep with a bounce

Both really good points. I hardly wear knee wraps and touch wood my knees are fine.

I think the suit makes you weak at points through the lift if you just train in the suit. Bottom being the weakest I would say for equipped lifters.
force10Icon...18-10-2012 @ 13:13 
Drugs cheat
Member 3860, 630 posts
SQ 335, BP 210, DL 330
875.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Iv competed alot in both raw and equipped and would say equipped training you get more injuries where in raw training you dont. Then raw competition its more likely you get injured where as lifting equipped you dont.

This is only what I have experienced, then you could factor in that as iv got older now 44 im doing more unequipped comps and seem to get more injuries due to my age maybe.

Iv also notice I seem more battered after a big training session equipped yet seem to recover more quickly than I would if id trained equally as hard raw.
JHIcon...18-10-2012 @ 13:20 
Member 1739, 1266 posts
SQ 365, BP 245, DL 332.5
942.5 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
I personally think equipped lifting is safer.
dr_hazbunIcon...18-10-2012 @ 22:17 
tabbouleh and fattoush salads were very refreshing
Member 267, 8548 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 250
635.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
Steve said:

I have pondered over the effects of powerlifting on the cardiovascular system for a few years now. I even asked a friend of mine who is a cardiologist and lifter too.

I think what Steve says here is what I believe to be true. I firmly believe that you need to listen to your body carefully if you engage in any form of srenuous exercise as you age into your late 30's, 40's, 50's and beyond.
FazcIcon...18-10-2012 @ 22:38 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Bear in mind gear or not, most people will spend the majority of time training raw anyway. So we're really talking about what's dangerous during competition periods.
ThingIcon...18-10-2012 @ 22:42 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
Very interesting, I have been wondering about using a Deadlift suit sometime next year for something different to add to training.
I can see why you man would say the increase in BP.

Must admit I have never pb'd in a pl suit but when I get a PB it's f**king awesome
chrisjenkinsIcon...19-10-2012 @ 09:14 
enter the welsh dragon
Member 738, 2297 posts
965.0 kgs @ 90kgs Eq
dr_hazbun said:
I have pondered over the effects of powerlifting on the cardiovascular system for a few years now. I even asked a friend of mine who is a cardiologist and lifter too.
I think what Steve says here is what I believe to be true. I firmly believe that you need to listen to your body carefully if you engage in any form of srenuous exercise as you age into your late 30's, 40's, 50's and beyond.

Nice post mate,

Yeah I agree a pb equipped or raw feels bloody good either way. So the blunt end of it, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions