Who's Online - 0 members and 160 guests

'You've got the passion but not the gift'

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

FAT_SAMIcon'You've got the passion but not the gift'12-04-2012 @ 04:25 
more like 'FAT TROLL'
Member 984, 6331 posts
SQ 420, BP 260, DL 335
1015.0 kgs @ 165kgs UnEq
A friend who used to train with me a few years ago said 'You've got the passion but not the gift', in reference to my love for training and everything strength related. He then went on to say that I am wasting my life by just training and working on the doors and that I should become more career orientated now that I am getting a little older (23 this week). Back when we used to train together he was the best training partner I ever had but since then 'life' has got in the way and he has failed to make any gains at all for well over a year and has started going backwards on some lifts. Indeed I get impression that this stagnation has left him feeling a little bitter towards people that are still making gains.

Anyway - back to 'You've got the passion but not the gift'. I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on that statement and am interested in how many of you consider training their number one priority in life.
deleted2_20210523Icon...12-04-2012 @ 05:04 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
brownbearIcon...12-04-2012 @ 05:55 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Its only wasting your life if you live to regret it in the future....

This is a possibility but I also have no idea. I love training and prefer going to eat ridiculous amounts of food with guys from the gym than going out on the piss. I'm at uni and not lived the student life but I don't think I care

I am passionate about it, but do I have the gift... Not at all!
martinbIcon...12-04-2012 @ 08:39 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
I enjoy it, thats why I do it, I'm not gifted

I know people who are predisposed to be good at this stuff, they will take it further, I don't have lofty goals

It matches my idea of a healthy lifestyle, and makes me physically what I want to be.

I put a lot of focus on it, and probably spend too much time on it, but I don't see that as a problem at the moment, in 5 years, maybe
RobboIcon...12-04-2012 @ 08:51 
When I have enough cash, I get a deep tissue.
Member 465, 11029 posts
SQ 240, BP 175, DL 302.5
717.5 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
I just train and work on the doors full time. I have loved both and basically come first before everything.

Priorities are now changing though as I'm now 26 and stuck in a s**t job, with no career ahead and the prospect of being skint forever, mainly through spending it all on training. Always had the passion to train an always will if it's feasible but I'm coming to a crossroads now where other stuff is more important.

My dreams are less about winning comps etc and more about being comfortable and having good times and doing different things and going different places now
Dan_EvansIcon...12-04-2012 @ 08:54 
Member 2793, 523 posts
SQ 245, BP 175, DL 302.5
722.5 kgs @ 84kgs UnEq
Sorry fat_sam, but your friend sounds like a dick.

People lack passion these days - they have no drive. If more people had a more passion for what they do, then the world would literally be a better place.

My passion for powerlifting has changed my life entirely. Before P.L. I drank a lot, did things that I shouldn't, couldn't care less about working, and was generally a bit of a turd. Due to the demands of powerlifting, I became very interested in nutrition, health, biology, and so forth. Not only am I now in much better shape, but my ever growing interest in the aforementioned fields, has scored me a job as a medic with the Royal Navy. These are all indirect changes, but the chances are that they would have never materialised without my passion for powerlifting.

Do I have "the gift"? f**k knows. Probably not.
Do I care? No, because my passion is helping me lead a better, more fulfilled life.
davycummingsIcon...12-04-2012 @ 08:55 
he's got betty davis eyes
Member 1684, 6001 posts
SQ 250, BP 186, DL 291
727.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
I love training, and I train as much as I can. I am not by any means gifted, and have had to work hard just to get to a place where the real gifted guys seem to start.

It is a passion, but I am also aware that for me it will never be more than a hobby. Aside from family it would be the thing I am most focused towards, much more so than work.

I dont think it is a bad thing. Brownbear's comment that time is only wasted if you regret it is very true imo.

If you are happy, and you are confident that looking back you will not wish you had done it different then you are doing the right thing for you.

Too many people spend their life a slave to their work they dont enjoy, to pay for the things they are told they need, for a lifestyle they are told to aspire to, that they never actually wanted in the first place
bryceIcon...12-04-2012 @ 09:02 
Juice loose aboot this hoose
Member 1401, 3962 posts
SQ 160, BP 107.5, DL 210
477.5 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
davycummings said:
Too many people spend their life a slave to their work they dont enjoy, to pay for the things they are told they need, for a lifestyle they are told to aspire to, that they never actually wanted in the first place

Epic quote that.

And robbo, you still aint sent me your CV Roll-Eyes
GingyIcon...12-04-2012 @ 09:03 
concept 2 guru
Member 1235, 4675 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 220
547.5 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
100 years from now you will be dead.

10,000 years from now (which seems like a long time but in the grand scale of stuff it's not even the blink of an eye) everyone you know will be well dead and also well forgotten, whether they could bench 300kg or they were worth £3 Billion.

Currently there are close to 2 Billion people in China and they give as much of a s**t about you as an individual as you do about each of them as individuals. There is only pressure on you to be "great" if you decide to conform to someone else's model of what great is.

The ONLY thing you can do for the next 80 years (being optimistic) is have a good time, not living with fear of underachieving, because not one of us actually will achieve anything of true "significance."

If you have true passion for something, that's more than the majority of people can even comprehend. I'd say I'm passionate but am, hypocritically, too afraid of letting everyone else down in other avenues of life to discover whether I actually have a gift (although I doubt I do...). At least you're giving yourself a f**king good chance of knowing this for sure!

Keep smashing it Sam, for as long as it makes you happy. If there's some c**t who makes you feel bad for it just remember he'll be dead and cold for just as long as you are (f**king ages) and the universe will not remember his fantastically mediocre career Grin
ThingIcon...12-04-2012 @ 09:03 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
for me training in not the main priority in life its a hobby the i love to do.
i have met some really good people that has been associated with my hobby and that and helped me develope further as a person and in knowledge.

i know i will never be at any high standard or even national level due to the issues i'm dealing with now. I have learned through my current injury woe that determination in getting to a point have been a good thing i have learned in training and in life as now a days nothing in given to you and you have to go and get it.

davy and brownbear have made some very good points that i live by to some extent, and i think a people should also do the same
terryhollandsIcon...12-04-2012 @ 09:07 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
My old rugby coach used to say to me to make it to he top of any sport it's 10% talent, 90% hard work. I think someone who works hard who's not that talented can get just as high if not higher level than a talented lazy person. I was quite a talented rugby player (not blowing my own trumpet) but was unbelievably lazy, guys I went to school with who were not as talented but worked very hard are playing professionally, I didn't work hard and my rugby career was basically over by the time I was 22. It'd be nice to,prove someone who said things like that wrong wouldn't it?
brownbearIcon...12-04-2012 @ 09:20 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
sexy mike howarth asked me to post:

"if you could receive the gift would you want it?"
1369philIcon...12-04-2012 @ 09:24 
doesnt work hard enough in the gym
Member 1492, 2138 posts
SQ 170, BP 145, DL 195
510.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
Where does this obsession with being "the best" or "elite" at something come from. It's a cancer that spreads almost as virulently as apathy.
You could apply this to every aspect of your life and get nowhere. To try and to fail is one thing - to come back after that failure is the true measure of a man.
Training with weights should teach you self discipline, control, focus and should sit in a framework of organisation, self evaluation, monitoring and the pursuit of progress.
Strive for improvement - personal improvement. If that puts you as the strongest guy in your gym, club, region, nation or in the world then that's great.
Isn't that the point in all of this - you're not actually competing against anyone else. You want a PB not a title by default.
martinbIcon...12-04-2012 @ 09:32 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
brownbear said:sexy mike howarth asked me to post:

"if you could receive the gift would you want it?"

the gift to be genetically gifted enough to be an elite strongman(ie top 5 wsm)?

knowing (or at least I think I know) what it entails to be at the top

no
spam_upIcon...12-04-2012 @ 09:34 
Glorious spam
Member 1563, 3961 posts
SQ 180, BP 130, DL 260
570.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Depends if your enjoying the sport and your life I think, if your not then change it.

I'll never be a great pl or strongman but at the moment I'm enjoying it. I was a good boxer, won most of my fights but lost interest after my first injury so wasn't as good anymore simply because I didn't care about being as good.

So I think what I'm saying I've learnt is if u do something u don't like u will never be that good at it anyway, so better enjoying something your not good at than being mediocre at something that you don't enjoy.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions