Who's Online - 1 member and 153 guests

Knee rehab

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

PeteHodgsonIconKnee rehab14-12-2017 @ 21:48 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Ok, I've had problems with my knee on and off for over 20 years. I think I can trace it back to poor squat form when I started out training. Left knee used to pull in (valgus?) when i squatted.
Been mostly pain free for a few years but following a hill walk in August my knee is now as bad as ever. Years ago I had an MRI scan which showed nothing.
The pain occurs most readily when walking down stairs or down hill (I believe the downhill part of the walk triggered the resurgence of pain in August) but also when attempting a squat or even partial squat, and even just bending my leg when it's at its worst.
The pain is underneath the top edge of my knee cap. I can feel it hurt when i press it too.
Tried a few bits of rehab recently but it's actually worse now. Not sure if that's down to the rehab exercises or just coincidence.

Anyone any idea what the hell it could be, and what to do to help it? As far as i can tell there's cartilage under the knee cap. Not sure if quad insertion is in that location.
Ta.
Funky_monkeyIcon...25-12-2017 @ 21:16 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5120 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Is the VMO the one that's most activated when walking downhill? If the MRI didn't show anything, is it possible thst there's tracking issues?
Do you squat wide and do sumo deads?
What's the bottom of your trainers like - worn at different points on in your good/bad leg?
PeteHodgsonIcon...25-12-2017 @ 23:03 
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Funky_monkey said:Is the VMO the one that's most activated when walking downhill? If the MRI didn't show anything, is it possible thst there's tracking issues?
Do you squat wide and do sumo deads?
What's the bottom of your trainers like - worn at different points on in your good/bad leg?

Don't sumo. Don't squat wide. Soles are evenly worn
Dunno about tracking tbh.
PeteHodgsonIcon...01-01-2018 @ 17:10 
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Not squatted since competing on 3rd December.
Knee still bad despite rehab attempts.
Tonight I had the bar on my back doing some calf raises. While it was there I decided to try a half ish squat. Had flat shoes on as opposed to squat shoes. Felt no pain in knee. Went a bit deeper. Still no pain. Realised that wearing flat shoes and not going to depth, my knee wasn't travelling forwards. Carried on squatting, added some weight. Still no pain. Started squatting to my bench (high box squats). Still ok. Crucially, I think, I was keeping my shins near enough vertical. To do this I also widened my stance a bit.
So the question is (questions are) should I stick to flat shoes for squatting and widen my stance? Also, add in the half squats and box squats to my rehab before increasing to full depth? As I think this is definitely going to build strength in my weaknesses as well as 'greasing the groove'
Any opinions wise people of sugden?
Ta

Happy new year!
PeteHodgsonIcon...01-01-2018 @ 17:40 
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
But I just read this off Elite Fts.

The combined backward pulling actions of the hamstrings and the adductors serve to balance the forward pulling force of the quadriceps, but this only occurs when the hamstrings and adductors are stretched, which occurs only in the full squat position. Anything above this and the knee is subject to excess anterior forces because the hamstrings and adductors aren't stretched and don't provide a posterior force in the movement. This dramatically increases the likelihood of developing patella tendonitis or patella tendinopathy. Proper distribution of force about the knee is pivotal to knee health. Because this correct distribution only occurs in a full squat, it's obvious that full squats serve to keep the knees healthy. As an added fact, the stretched hamstrings and adductors in the bottom of a deep squat serve to provide a rebound out of the ‘hole.’ Thus, hip extension is accomplished much more safely and efficiently when we squat deep!
PeteHodgsonIcon...03-01-2018 @ 22:06 
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Patellofemoral pain syndrome usually causes a dull, aching pain in the front of your knee. This pain can be aggravated when you:

Walk up or down stairs
Kneel or squat
Sit with a bent knee for long periods of time

CAUSES....

Muscle imbalances or weaknesses. Patellofemoral pain can occur when the muscles around your hip and knee don't keep your kneecap properly aligned. *Inward movement of the knee during a squat has been found to be associated with patellofemoral pain.*

* I believe this is what originally caused my pain around 20 years ago (poor form, took heavy, not deep, knee tracked inwards) and even though I've sorted out my squat since then it still recurs- although not usually brought about by squatting.
JohnIcon...07-01-2018 @ 18:25 
#biggef
Member 5263, 3492 posts
SQ 260, BP 195, DL 260
715.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
If you read the this thread tittle quickly it looks like kebab......I like kebab.
JohnIcon...07-01-2018 @ 18:51 
#biggef
Member 5263, 3492 posts
SQ 260, BP 195, DL 260
715.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
I do not for one minute to claim I know know what I'm talking about but if it where me id try and see if I have a natrual imbalance caused by tight hips,abductors,I'd do this by stepping up on a box or a step nothing to high and with every step up see if my knee and ankles and hips all track,I'd really concentrate on how my balance feels,pressure on my feet hip knee that kind of thing even under slight fatigue, id also try landmine squats or front squats and focus on turning the knees out,also your foot position you may need to turn them out,or widen your stance,obs it's hard to tell without seeing your squat,controversially I think there is such a thing as squatting to low,maybe even try foam rolling or a ball ,this is just what I'd do so not fact based. Hope it gets better soonHappy
PeteHodgsonIcon...14-02-2018 @ 20:55 
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Carried on doing box squats against bands. Lowered box height. Still ok for knee. But seemed to tweak my bloody back!
Tonight my back was feeling ok so I squatted: no box, flat shoe, lowish bar, widish stance, toes out, to about parallel. I tighten up at that point anyway so need to work for extra depth if it's needed. 100kg x5 x5. Slight knee discomfort. Only slight.
Knee appointment tomorrow
fctilidieIcon...15-02-2018 @ 09:36 
Grandad Goatse
Member 2494, 5035 posts
SQ 120, BP 110, DL 125
355.0 kgs @ 67kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 15.02.2018 @ 09:37 AM by fctilidie
My knee issues came from very poor hip mobility, as soon as I worked on my hip mobility my knee issues went away. They aren't 100% but I went from thinking I'd never squat again to been able to squat without pain and do pistols without issues.
PeteHodgsonIcon...15-02-2018 @ 12:34 
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
fctilidie said:My knee issues came from very poor hip mobility, as soon as I worked on my hip mobility my knee issues went away. They aren't 100% but I went from thinking I'd never squat again to been able to squat without pain and do pistols without issues.

Cool

Just had my appointment. Apparently it's just tendinitis. To treat it I have to load it every day to the point of discomfort. (5/10 pain) single leg extensions. But not to overdo it so it's still sore the next day. I can squat as long as the pain doesn't go abouve 5/10
PhysiqzIcon...08-05-2018 @ 01:26 
Member 6338, 12 posts
John said:I do not for one minute to claim I know know what I'm talking about but if it where me id try and see if I have a natrual imbalance caused by tight hips,abductors,I'd do this by stepping up on a box or a step nothing to high and with every step up see if my knee and ankles and hips all track,I'd really concentrate on how my balance feels,pressure on my feet hip knee that kind of thing even under slight fatigue, id also try landmine squats or front squats and focus on turning the knees out,also your foot position you may need to turn them out,or widen your stance,obs it's hard to tell without seeing your squat,controversially I think there is such a thing as squatting to low,maybe even try foam rolling or a ball ,this is just what I'd do so not fact based. Hope it gets better soonHappy

I think you are absolutely spot on--from my own injuries and lots of research I've found it has been caused from an imbalance in muscular development, strength, and mobility whether that be the hips or shoulders.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions