Who's Online - 0 members and 257 guests

Is eating healthy expensive?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

slimsimIcon...08-05-2018 @ 14:20 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
I think the fallacy of it being expensive to eat healthily comes from those people who only eat ready meals. Yes, a healthy ready meal is often typically more expensive than the cheap s**te you *could* eat but when cooking from fresh it's not the case at all. Lots of veg costs next to nothing if you buy it in season. Rice, bread, potatoes, pasta = all cheap as chips.
MikenetoIcon...08-05-2018 @ 14:38 
End of an era.
Member 4646, 1964 posts
Post Edited: 08.05.2018 @ 14:46 PM by Mikeneto
So what meat do you guys eat then? Meat seems to be the grey area.

For me i eat steak mince with 12% fat...portion it out to 225g comes to about £1.20 plus veg and rice = £1.50 but is my most expensive meal of the day and i offset it with a cheap breakfast...fruit, nuts, oats and milk.

Then eggs and bacon or eggs and pork liver patè for third meal...or fish...or jacket potato beans and bacon. This is my flexible meal.

I generally aim for £1 a meal.

£3-£4 a day on food saves a lot of money over the year. I probably have one takeaway once a month but actually be out for it, not eat it at home. Not including occasions..i am not a hermit due to diet fear.

The turning point for me was living with people that went to private and boarding school...i either had to accept they were genetically superior to me or copy their diet and see if I looked better from it. I look much better from it...health and attraction are closely linked.
Funky_monkeyIcon...08-05-2018 @ 14:58 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5120 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 08.05.2018 @ 14:58 PM by Funky_monkey
danbaseley said:
Mikeneto said:
I can easily feed myself healthily for a whole day for £4. I don't eat a lot...just 3 normal sized meals a day, lets say 2500 cals.

2500 calories - how much do you weigh? 180kg?

LOAL!!!
ZakhammerIcon...08-05-2018 @ 14:58 
Member 3746, 56 posts
I have the bonus of being a manager in a store where if im not in charge of date checking that week and then reducing i'm around when others are. So i just go check at the end of the night whats half price and i stock up. Few weeks ago it was burgers. 3 8 packs i picked up for a fiver. The time i was in charge it was 5% mince..bought about 12 packets for £6 and before that aboit 12 packets of bacon for £6. So im lucky in that sense.
However i still buy things like thigshs which are only about £2 a kilo and then portion up. I buy alot of eggs about £1 for 10 and i spend money of boxes of chicken breast. About a tenner for over 2kg.

Veg i really stick to things like carrots, courgette, cabbage, kale, beetroot, garlic, onion. All between 29p-£1.

Really the key is to know how to get the most out of what you have, sure i can eat 2 chicken breast in one sitting but why? A big breast has aboit 40grams of protein so thats more than enough to begin wih. Add 50g of kale, 100g cabbage, some cheese and a glass of milk we're talking a 50g protein meal with high fat and low carbs. Healthy is hard but its not expensive.
AdamTIcon...08-05-2018 @ 15:24 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
Mikeneto said:So what meat do you guys eat then? Meat seems to be the grey area.

For me i eat steak mince with 12% fat...portion it out to 225g comes to about £1.20 plus veg and rice = £1.50 but is my most expensive meal of the day and i offset it with a cheap breakfast...fruit, nuts, oats and milk.

Then eggs and bacon or eggs and pork liver patè for third meal...or fish...or jacket potato beans and bacon. This is my flexible meal.

I generally aim for £1 a meal.

£3-£4 a day on food saves a lot of money over the year. I probably have one

takeaway once a month but actually be out for it, not eat it at home. Not including occasions..i am not a hermit due to diet fear.

The turning point for me was living with people that went to private and boarding school...i either had to accept they were genetically superior to me or copy their diet and see if I looked better from it. I look much better from it...health and attraction are closely linked.

I buy 5kg of chicken for around £19-20. I just buy the 18% fat mince and drain the s**t out. Sometimes I buy the extra lean stuff. I also eat turkey rashers. They are quite cheap.

As I mentioned earlier, I also eat quite a bit of fish. some of it fresh, but much of it frozen.
RebeccaRobertsIcon...08-05-2018 @ 16:38 
update game is weak
Member 6289, 173 posts
SQ 220, BP 120, DL 228
568.0 kgs @ 175kgs UnEq
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Becca, are you staying on Sugden?

Im keeping my account but will just stay as active as i have been, no where near as active as paul was/is
RebeccaRobertsIcon...08-05-2018 @ 16:44 
update game is weak
Member 6289, 173 posts
SQ 220, BP 120, DL 228
568.0 kgs @ 175kgs UnEq
Mikeneto said:So what meat do you guys eat then? Meat seems to be the grey area.

I have 2 slices of bacon and egg with breakfast, lean beef for lunch, steak/lean beef for tea and maybe a 4th meal if ive been training. Always paired with rice or sweet potato and veg (spinach or red peppers usually)

Snack in work between breakfast and lunch ill have a banana

With my polycystic ovaries were trialing this type of diet as its all fairly plain foods which hopefully will help the way i process food in my body
dannyboy73Icon...08-05-2018 @ 17:56 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
That sounds like a millionaires diet.

RebeccaRoberts said:
I have 2 slices of bacon and egg with breakfast, lean beef for lunch, steak/lean beef for tea and maybe a 4th meal if ive been training. Always paired with rice or sweet potato and veg (spinach or red peppers usually)
Snack in work between breakfast and lunch ill have a banana
With my polycystic ovaries were trialing this type of diet as its all fairly plain foods which hopefully will help the way i process food in my body
dannyboy73Icon...08-05-2018 @ 18:02 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
I have 2 scoops myprotein in milk for breakfast. 2 x coffee as well.

10 - 1 cheese roll no butter, coffee

1 - Coffee, Dr pepper, Home mdde flapjack with nuts and cheap dried fruit.

evening meals -
egg x 3 and chips
omelette with onion and pepper and pasta
shepherd's pie with cheap veg
spag bol with lentils or very lean mince
sometimes a whole chicken roast..leftovers next day in curry

bit rubbish compared to how i used to afford to eat would have been salmon or chicken breast or steak or meal out...thanks George Osborne you total cnnt
SupertrampIcon...08-05-2018 @ 18:28 
Member 6264, 208 posts
I don't think eating healthy food is expensive.

"Would it not be better if they spent more money on wholesome things like oranges and wholemeal bread or if they even, like the writer of the letter to the New Statesman, saved on fuel and ate their carrots raw? Yes, it would, but the point is that no ordinary human being is ever going to do such a thing. The ordinary human being would sooner starve than live on brown bread and raw carrots. And the peculiar evil is this, that the less money you have, the less inclined you feel to spend it on wholesome food. A millionaire may enjoy breakfasting off orange juice and Ryvita biscuits; an unemployed man doesn't. Here the tendency of which I spoke at the end of the last chapter comes into play. When you are unemployed, which is to say when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don't want to eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit 'tasty'. There is always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you."

George Orwell - Road to Wigan Pier
RebeccaRobertsIcon...08-05-2018 @ 21:14 
update game is weak
Member 6289, 173 posts
SQ 220, BP 120, DL 228
568.0 kgs @ 175kgs UnEq
dannyboy73 said:That sounds like a millionaires diet.

Its fairly cheap as i can get 3/4 fresh beef medallion steaks for about 3.50 borrowing a friends card for a discount shop, we buy quality frozen beef burgers in bulk and grill them in the george foreman which is about 3.50 for 8 and can get 400g fresh diced beef for 1.40 in the discount shop. Bacon is 3 packs of 18 slices for 6quid in farmfoods which we defrost and have and the quality is fairly decent. Rice is cheap, frozen veg (spinach) is like a quid. Sweet potato is about a pound a kilo so again not too expensive.

Its just about being smart and making savings when you can. My mates card for the shop we go to gives us meat for under half the price supermarkets sell at which helps a lot and couldnt really maintain this nutrition plan without it
RebeccaRobertsIcon...08-05-2018 @ 21:26 
update game is weak
Member 6289, 173 posts
SQ 220, BP 120, DL 228
568.0 kgs @ 175kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 08.05.2018 @ 21:30 PM by RebeccaRoberts
If i broke down the cost of tonights tea - steak 88p, sweet potato -35p, frozen spinach- 10p, frozen onions - 5p (obviously just counting percentage of a packet of 1quid spinach, 1quid frozen onions, 3.50 for 4 steaks and 1quid a kilo sweet potato)

So this meal cost a grand total of 1.38 and is very healthy, balanced and nutritional

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bihwn8ZBW91/
RickIcon...08-05-2018 @ 21:36 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10032 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
As so often, the Orwell quote is bang on.
KevC86Icon...08-05-2018 @ 21:46 
Member 5141, 4186 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
Supertramp said:I don't think eating healthy food is expensive.

"Would it not be better if they spent more money on wholesome things like oranges and wholemeal bread or if they even, like the writer of the letter to the New Statesman, saved on fuel and ate their carrots raw? Yes, it would, but the point is that no ordinary human being is ever going to do such a thing. The ordinary human being would sooner starve than live on brown bread and raw carrots. And the peculiar evil is this, that the less money you have, the less inclined you feel to spend it on wholesome food. A millionaire may enjoy breakfasting off orange juice and Ryvita biscuits; an unemployed man doesn't. Here the tendency of which I spoke at the end of the last chapter comes into play. When you are unemployed, which is to say when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don't want to eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit 'tasty'. There is always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you."

George Orwell - Road to Wigan Pier

This is spectacular.

As to the original question, eating healthy is entirely affordable, the main issues are, its often repetitive, it requires a lot more work.

These are things that a lot of 'poorer' people aren't inclined to tolerate, so they use cost as a convenient excuse. Its easy to do as there are always lobsided comparisons that can be made to prove their point 'oh that salmon is 3x the price of these fish fingers'.

Slightly O/T but i love beef and screw the cost, im going to eat it.
WiegieboardIcon...08-05-2018 @ 22:37 
as crimson as my last victims underclothing.....
Member 899, 11324 posts
SQ 180, BP 132.5, DL 190
502.5 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 08.05.2018 @ 22:40 PM by Wiegieboard
To keep living in a house I work from 8am until 9 or 10pm 5 to 6 days a week doing heavy manual labour. On my day off I usually repair my car to get to work or maintain my house to stop infestation or weather getting in etc.
As a result of this, to maintain weight I need 6 meals a day having as much as I can to eat. The only way I can achieve this on my budget is to buy 4 packs of sweets for a quid or eat about a kilo of pasta, potatoes or rice. Unfortunately pasta gives me allergies and due to getting home at 11pm from work, I can't prepare potatoes and pasta as the time taken stops me sleeping and noise made wakes my partner who leaves for work at 6am and gets home at 8pm.

I can't afford to pay a chef to make my food so eating ready made, cheap and unhealthy food is the most efficient way to make me both strong enough to keep my job over the other guys who get let go and also meet my caloric needs from hauling the trees, trailers and people the 15 miles or so I do a day amongst the other things I carry.

Unhealthy for an unprivelaged, working man in Conservative Britain is undoubtable more affordable than eating healthily.

P.S. in b4 get a better job.
This is my 7th contract in 4 years I have taken to improve my situation.
In B4 education. Not only can I not afford any more education but with 7 years higher education behind me, 8 years isn't going to help.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions