You are here: HomeForumTraining Journalsintensity block

intensity block

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

George_WinstonIcon...17-10-2012 @ 14:45 
The Crossfit KingPin
Member 941, 1810 posts
SQ 230, BP 130, DL 285
645.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
I wasnt on about how you mentioned your form, just that your on about training in 'blocks' and stuff. Just lift some weight, then lift more next time, with a 150 dl you should be able to get a pb every session for a while, reps or 1rm.

Just stop fannying about
king_mobIcon...17-10-2012 @ 14:55 
Member 3935, 213 posts
SQ 110, BP 80, DL 140
330.0 kgs @ 97kgs UnEq
well fair enough mate your a hell of a lot stronger than me.

still dont know whats wrong with doing things in blocks though, not like im doing some over the top periodization, just focusing on doing a few things at a time rather than everything at once. example - my technique was off, so i dropped the weight for 6 weeks while i worked on it. thats a block. that was my last block. doesnt really need to get more complicated than that.
JackRevansIcon...17-10-2012 @ 15:03 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
George_Winston said:I wasnt on about how you mentioned your form, just that your on about training in 'blocks' and stuff. Just lift some weight, then lift more next time, with a 150 dl you should be able to get a pb every session for a while, reps or 1rm.

Just stop fannying about

i agree

when my deadlift was 140 i just maxed out every session. one week i would go to my 1rm, the following week i would beat it by 2.5kg, then the week after that do the same weight again and so on... basically i was adding 2.5kg every 2 weeks and that took me to 200kg in several months.

im not saying you should do that though, im just saying that you should be able to get away with being more wreckless Happy however really you can do whatever you want to do. if you enjoy blocks then do it!
king_mobIcon...17-10-2012 @ 15:15 
Member 3935, 213 posts
SQ 110, BP 80, DL 140
330.0 kgs @ 97kgs UnEq
i know this seems that im doing the critical beginner mistake of not shutting the f**k up and just lifting the weight, and i really dont want to come across as if im just ignoring everyones advice because george has a 230kg raw squat which is hench, i guess im just trying to say i see the value in trying to learn to think about lifting, not just grabbing some cookie cutter routine and following it until it doesnt work
davycummingsIcon...17-10-2012 @ 15:26 
he's got betty davis eyes
Member 1684, 6001 posts
SQ 250, BP 186, DL 291
727.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
king_mob said:i know this seems that im doing the critical beginner mistake of not shutting the f**k up and just lifting the weight, and i really dont want to come across as if im just ignoring everyones advice because george has a 230kg raw squat which is hench, i guess im just trying to say i see the value in trying to learn to think about lifting, not just grabbing some cookie cutter routine and following it until it doesnt work

I can see what you are saying to an extent. Learning to understand the lifts, and how you best develop as a lifter is great, but it takes time. During the time that you are learning you could also be making more progress by following some others advice imo.

If you are happy and enjoying your training, and enjoying learning that way, then there is nothing wrong with it, but if you want to develop faster then taking on board some advice would do that.

I have learned a lot about how I best improve, but it took me years. Although I have learned a decent amount myself by trial and error I have learned a lot from taking advice from others, some in my gym, some from other gyms, some at comps.

At the end of the day, do what you find most fun. For me, getting better is the most fun, so I like to listen to as much as i can. I dont mean follow peoples routines, I mean take their suggestions and think through how they might benefit me in my training
king_mobIcon...17-10-2012 @ 15:37 
Member 3935, 213 posts
SQ 110, BP 80, DL 140
330.0 kgs @ 97kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 17.10.2012 @ 15:37 PM by king_mob
here's the thing, im really really not saying im not gonna take, or not ask for advice (iv posted loads of stuff asking for advice here and intend to continue to do so) this whole thread just kinda escalated from someone saying i need to get pointers on my squat (which i do but for the next few weeks im happy just playing with it to see if i can sort it out) to people saying i need to throw my programming out the window (again i probably do but i dont think its a bad mental exercise thinking about how i arrange my training, even i get some of it wrong).

but at the end of the day i appreciate your input davy cos your always come across like you know what your talking about, and your right yes im a beginner and should be hungry for information particularly as there are so many strong feckers who post here and are happy to answer questions/hand out advice.
davycummingsIcon...17-10-2012 @ 15:54 
he's got betty davis eyes
Member 1684, 6001 posts
SQ 250, BP 186, DL 291
727.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
king_mob said:

but at the end of the day i appreciate your input davy cos your always come across like you know what your talking about, and your right yes im a beginner and should be hungry for information particularly as there are so many strong feckers who post here and are happy to answer questions/hand out advice.

I am not saying you have to use advice, just take it, think about it, and keep it in mind whilst to learn for yourself.

Unless you have a coach, noone is going to give you all the answers. You have to find some for yourself, but there are certain things that will help you learn more by yourself imo. There are many many guys on here who know what they are talking about, but very few, if any, are not still learning Happy
king_mobIcon...17-10-2012 @ 20:00 
Member 3935, 213 posts
SQ 110, BP 80, DL 140
330.0 kgs @ 97kgs UnEq
finally went up to the lads who powerlift here at empire. going to be joining them to train next monday at six. ill just start a new log then i think.

cheers for steering us in the right direction fellas.
MattD90Icon...22-10-2012 @ 22:51 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
good luck dude you will learn alot
brownbearIcon...22-10-2012 @ 23:01 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
just lift progressively heavier weights and get better. i read what youve said but blocks doesnt make sense for someone lifting the weights you are. There isnt benefit of developing work capacity to bust through plateaus that arent there. Save the advanced technique for when youre advanced. At the moment if you went in and did squat and bench twice a week, deadlift and overhead once and filled the gap with chins, dips and rows. 3-5x5 you'd be winning.

Also don't take this as me being a dick. I like to understand training and help lots of other people with their training (with success) but i still do what Vanilla Gorilla tells me to do cause he knows more than me about training and he can look at my training objectively. It is very difficult to look at one's own training objectively.

You are here: HomeForumTraining Journalsintensity block
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions