Who's Online - 0 members and 225 guests

Knees - the shittest joint in the body

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

minotaurJoeIconKnees - the shittest joint in the body11-07-2015 @ 19:41 
I've got a brand new combine harvester
Member 688, 192 posts
SQ 230, BP 165, DL 300
695.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Evening gentleman!! It's been a long time (2 years) and I'm returning to the fold like the prodigal son as I've been Pursuing other ventures but although I've not competed since I last got injured I've been taking training very seriously.

I have a gut feeling my meniscus has become torn again as:
There was no issues prior to a single incident in which my knee encountered a slight twist under body weight only
I'm having some problems straightening it then it clicks and I get full ROM back
I've lost confidence on it

But on the flip side:
No swelling
Arse is very tight on that side
It's fine whilst training legs it's just a couple of days later it hurts
I didn't feel any tearing in the incident which caused it all.

So my question is:
If you've had operations to trim the meniscus before, does it make the joint weaker and more prone to it again??
Funky_monkeyIcon...12-07-2015 @ 18:12 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5121 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
minotaurJoe said:Evening gentleman!! It's been a long time (2 years) and I'm returning to the fold like the prodigal son as I've been Pursuing other ventures but although I've not competed since I last got injured I've been taking training very seriously.

I have a gut feeling my meniscus has become torn again as:
There was no issues prior to a single incident in which my knee encountered a slight twist under body weight only
I'm having some problems straightening it then it clicks and I get full ROM back
I've lost confidence on it

But on the flip side:
No swelling
Arse is very tight on that side
It's fine whilst training legs it's just a couple of days later it hurts
I didn't feel any tearing in the incident which caused it all.

So my question is:
If you've had operations to trim the meniscus before, does it make the joint weaker and more prone to it again??

I've had a meniscal tear operated on, and there's severely limited range of motion. I can't touch my arse with my heel on either side (left side is also torn) and there's degenerative wear and tear.

Fairly sure it's torn again as there was so little before they trimmed and stitched it. Exposing the meniscus does speed up the date at which it degenerates, but I have so little it's a redundant point. Trimming it means there is less, and therefore yes, it is more likely to tear again, but chances are it wasn't 100% PRIOR to your injury.

Have you had an MRI? Where are you based?
Funky_monkeyIcon...12-07-2015 @ 18:13 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5121 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
6/10/10 - you've already had surgery! Get another MRI as it's probably fked again.
minotaurJoeIcon...15-07-2015 @ 13:45 
Member 688, 192 posts
SQ 230, BP 165, DL 300
695.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
I am based up in lancaster mate so will get a referral to wrightington if it is gone again. I am going to the doctors on Friday and gonna push push push for a scan then at least I know for definite. IT did get pretty much completely better but I dunno it seems to be better this week after I spent some time stretching my hamstrings out over the weekend ... Still no point in taking chances though as like I said it was a one off incident that caused it to be like that.
It was just so insignificant though like the force that caused the bending was very very small ... What caused yours?
Funky_monkeyIcon...20-07-2015 @ 12:58 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5121 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
minotaurJoe said:I am based up in lancaster mate so will get a referral to wrightington if it is gone again. I am going to the doctors on Friday and gonna push push push for a scan then at least I know for definite. IT did get pretty much completely better but I dunno it seems to be better this week after I spent some time stretching my hamstrings out over the weekend ... Still no point in taking chances though as like I said it was a one off incident that caused it to be like that.
It was just so insignificant though like the force that caused the bending was very very small ... What caused yours?

Wrightington or Whittington? If it's the latter, let me know as I know a surgeon there who can sort you out.

Mine was during a comp, left knee buckled and didn't feel it go. That explains the tear on the right hand side. Too many squats over the years just wore them both out though.
RodgerIcon...20-07-2015 @ 13:51 
salad dodger *missing*
Member 1805, 10367 posts
SQ 215, BP 121, DL 240
576.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Funky_monkey said:
Wrightington or Whittington? If it's the latter, let me know as I know a surgeon there who can sort you out.
Mine was during a comp, left knee buckled and didn't feel it go. That explains the tear on the right hand side. Too many squats over the years just wore them both out though.

I suspect it will be Wrightington (Wigan) mate. I train with Farmer Joe
minotaurJoeIcon...28-07-2015 @ 21:19 
Member 688, 192 posts
SQ 230, BP 165, DL 300
695.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Funky_monkey said:

Could that be john hodkinson?? If so I had him last time! Yes its wrightington at Wigan there buddy. Can you still squat without your meniscii??
Funky_monkeyIcon...30-07-2015 @ 12:58 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5121 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
minotaurJoe said:
Could that be john hodkinson?? If so I had him last time! Yes its wrightington at Wigan there buddy. Can you still squat without your meniscii??

It was Prof Fares Haddad, who also treats top athletes when he does private stuff.
http://www.fareshaddad.co.uk/

Doctor Ruhul Patel is also excellent, and works in the same team. He's the guy who performed the operation on my knee, and I'd happily recommend him.

Theoretically, yes it is possible to squat without a meniscus. My knees are just fked all over, and the patellar tracking issues I have only compound the pain and general fkedness of them.
minotaurJoeIcon...02-08-2015 @ 00:19 
Member 688, 192 posts
SQ 230, BP 165, DL 300
695.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Well funky monkey I had a massive revaluation last night!!!
The tests the physio conducted I think would have been as she said 99.5% accurate and there was no notable pain - the movements she did I can well see would antagonise the meniscus and throw up all the symptoms due to like the geometry of the tests but ...
Last night I took a famous muscle and mind relaxant that I won't bother mentioning on here but I'm sure you can imagine what it is then I felt my glutes went into a totally different state of relaxation IN AN INSTANT that I've never felt before and all the pain and stiffness went as soon as it relaxed. I could also feel that the way the arches in my feet have collapsed and are pronating inwards that's the root cause of the problem as the muscles readjust to compensate for the collapse.
The locking sensation I thought was happening in my knees all along is just infact that the muscle on the side that has the dodgy knee is so tight and irritated that it keeps spasming and pulling the ITB so tight that it won't allow the knee to straighten properly.
... It's really strange because the muscle never felt like it was constantly in spasm - you couldn't notice it was remarkably different to the other side it just felt normal (tight). So I need to look into why it is that the incident where I got out of the car caused it at that moment to remain permanently in spasm and try rehabilitate it but ... I'm happy - no need for another op
Grin
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions