scruffmcbuffIcon...08-12-2017 @ 19:29 
Lovely ass Congrats.
Member 5958, 2315 posts
SQ 280, BP 170, DL 300
750.0 kgs @ 138kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 08.12.2017 @ 19:42 PM by scruffmcbuff
BenchWhore said:
So how would you train?
Like a raw "off season" phase with lots of lock out training and then start to use the shirt like a month before working with boards etc?
At the moment my max efforts are all close or medium grip:
Incline pin presses
Floor presses
Close grip bench
3 boards and 2 boards with close grip
I rotate this variations every week trying to add 2.5 kg everytime
On Friday I do 50% + double blue bands 3 reps adding volume every week
The rest is just heavy dumbbell work for chest, shoulders, triceps, lats, upper back and legs.
The idea would be to start to use the shirt one or two months before a training or comp max.

I used to put my shirt on 8 weeks out from comp. Purely board work tell 2 weeks out where id go for a touch to check i could get my openers in!

Tricep work is king with equiped bench! Theres people far more exprienced then me. But that was what i found to be useful.

Also my 2 cents. Be careful on your shirt choices! And dont be disheartened if you dont get on with one. I must have worked my way thru 4 or 5 before i found one i liked (inzer SDP)
DrDIcon...08-12-2017 @ 19:44 
#IStandByMillsy
Member 4287, 2614 posts
SQ 300, BP 310, DL 250
860.0 kgs @ 120kgs Eq
BenchWhore said:
So how would you train?
Like a raw "off season" phase with lots of lock out training and then start to use the shirt like a month before working with boards etc?
At the moment my max efforts are all close or medium grip:
Incline pin presses
Floor presses
Close grip bench
3 boards and 2 boards with close grip
I rotate this variations every week trying to add 2.5 kg everytime
On Friday I do 50% + double blue bands 3 reps adding volume every week
The rest is just heavy dumbbell work for chest, shoulders, triceps, lats, upper back and legs.
The idea would be to start to use the shirt one or two months before a training or comp max.

No single answer unfortunately but that sounds reasonable. just need to find what works for you and being relatively new to benching make sure you do enough all around strength training so that you progress longer term and reduce injuries etc.

As you alluded to you need strong legs, back, arms, wrists, shoulders, neck etc.

People vary for shirt use too, for newer lifters then I'd be in the shirt more as it's very technical and your body need to get used to higher weights. You don't have to use boards for shirt work all the time too - some people do, but others (including me mostly) will do partial sitting into the shirt and rowing it in varying amounts instead of using a board. I found this helps stability and avoids changing line or how tucked your elbows are.

Plus as you say a lot of lockout work and working on an individual's weaknesses. Plenty of exercise variation is useful esp at first and listen to your body. It can take a while to get accustomed to the high volume loads that shirted and lockout work can bring. Plenty of curls to keep elbows happy to!

Outside of that loads of programmes to get influences from; metal militia, or westside based methods.

As for working to set weights and percentages, that's good for many but sometimes I prefer a bit more flexibility and it you're worn down use lighter weights to a rough desired RPE instead and let your body recover.

Above all, have fun!!
Funky_monkeyIcon...09-12-2017 @ 08:23 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5121 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
BenchWhore said:
Cool man if you have a used f6 42-44 I'd be glad to take it.
Never heard about an open back blast, how do you compare it with an f6?

It's not as tight as an f6, but it will help you learn things such as jacking the collar of the shirt down to get a more "aggressive" shirt, or pulling it up to get lighter weights to touch.
Funky_monkeyIcon...09-12-2017 @ 08:27 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5121 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
BenchWhore said:Btw how much a single ply shirt can add with some practice? 20kg?

I used to be on 160ish raw at my best and hit a comfortable 190kg in a rage-x that was torn and had been abused previously. I'm certain (and regretful) I would have hit 200kg if I'd gone back to the warm-up room. I used the shirt for 6 weeks leading up to the comp.
BenchWhoreIcon...09-12-2017 @ 16:02 
Member 6318, 16 posts
Thank guys lots of great tips. I'll keep them in mind

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions