REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 196 guests
You are here: HomeForumJoni → View All Posts

View All Posts: Joni

12345678910 ... ... 12731274127512761277127812791280128112821283

» Manchester & district 29th of Oct (Go to post)22-09-2006 @ 09:48 
Hey i got the invitation letters for this from Ian Shaw (the organiser).

I still have to admit, i am not feeling this Wink But f**k that.

Who else is doing this comp?
» Adam's Relentless Log: Its all about heart... (Go to post)22-09-2006 @ 08:22 
s**t man, that is a really low calorie intake for someone with your activity levels and muscle mass to maintain! That is not enough for a maintenance even is it.

Nice one for spotting it out though, food logs can have their purpose. Now what you need is Operation Apes**t, or perhaps even GFH:
http://www.sugdenbarbell.co.uk/index.php/articles/35

Lets get f**king huge man!
» The Legend of Toothpick (Go to post)22-09-2006 @ 08:20 
i would call it "hey, i did 5 singles with my PB!"
» is it an art or science? (Go to post)22-09-2006 @ 08:18 
Originally posted by tokar...
I agree with Haris's two posts above. All aspects of training can be well-grounded in scientific knowledge and method.

again, who are you disagreeing then because i agree with that statement.

Perhaps you guys cant read english, or are just very keen on trying to find something to disagree here Wink

The main thing where we disagree here is the eagerness and stubborn attitude of Harris with the leg press question - and why somehow he had the weight of science behind him and the alternative viewpoint didnt. Thats clearly bo***cks.

Another possible disagreement could be that i think it is perfectly scientific to factor in your current state of recovery, sleep, nutrition, mood and general "environmental" factors in your given training session. For instance, i am aiming to nail two doubles with 190 on squat soon, if i feel good on sunday, i will go for it. If not, i will do it the weekend after.

It would be a mistake to treat training as an insulated and controlled scientific issue where environmental factors are minimised or neutralised to study a very specific hypothesis. Because of the large amount of variables training doesn't work that way. At the same time of course everything is grounded in science and one can take lead from research and knowledge in the field. Its not like you can suddenly stop following the laws of thermodynamics!

The other approach is clinical studies, but we dont have the numbers at sugden Wink
» The first t shirt arrives... (Go to post)21-09-2006 @ 21:54 
JDVeganMofo, are you veganlifter from Muscletalk?

same f**ker!
» The first t shirt arrives... (Go to post)21-09-2006 @ 19:11 
Originally posted by Alex...
Well it worked...I asked you (I think) how much one of the oly bars weighed and noticed the website name. 24 hours later, here I am.

is this the arse to grass dude? In that case, welcome to sugdenbarbell notorious bulls**t forum mate Grin
» is it an art or science? (Go to post)21-09-2006 @ 14:35 
Originally posted by Emperor_Naseem...
There is some room for how you feel on the day, but it shouldn't play a huge part.

why would not the feel for the day be grounded in solid science? you dont think that it is scientific to say that the quality or our diet, sleep, restoration and recovery, our mental state and everything has an impact to how the training session goes?

Didn't you just do a new bench PB out of blue because you felt good?

You are mistaking "scientific approach" to be same than fully controlled environmental variables - in real life situations that simply is not achievable and therefore you just need to factor those in. Thats f**king scientific Grin
» forum improvements (Go to post)21-09-2006 @ 12:01 
also, could we get the title of the thread into the page title? I open all threads in one go on different tabs and the title is handy to have in the page title.

hehe, sorry about all the requests, just pick the ones you can implement easily, but mate, lets split the topics already!
» is it an art or science? (Go to post)21-09-2006 @ 11:56 
it seems i have to quote my own original post because some people lack the ability to understand what has been said Wink

Originally posted by JDVeganMofo...

the saying about it being an art and not a science is refering to the various ways in which people achieve results in their training. The circumstances vary so greatly from person to another which is why different training methods yeld different results in different cases. Of course all the reasons are rooted in solid scientific principles, but the applications of those depends on so many variations that it becomes next to impossible to analyse something like "will leg press help my squat and dead" with a hard and fast rule as you did.

so how does this differ from Tokars position?
» forum improvements (Go to post)20-09-2006 @ 16:23 
rob, can you split threads? Not that i got any ideas from the debate in LGBs log or anything... Wink
» is it an art or science? (Go to post)20-09-2006 @ 15:29 
by the way, nice to have the first controversial topic on the forum and i am glad to be part of it Cool
» is it an art or science? (Go to post)20-09-2006 @ 15:27 
og course harris and i am not denying that, but why would you have such a strong opinion on what LGB should or should not do then, if clearly you haven't had the opportunity to have a hypothesis, test it, and test it again discounting different conditions and environmental factors and then reach a conclusion?

We simply cant know if leg press will aid LGBs squat or dead - there are some anecdotal evidence suggesting that it works, several peeps have reported how it has helped them with their leg drive. There is strong suggestion that leg press is bo***cks.

In balance, i dont think we can say, if we want to be scientific about this, either way at this stage and like with all assistance movements a) they are not as vital and b) they are a great way to work your weak areas and c) by rotating them you add variety to your training and d) by rotating them you probably cover all grounds anyway.
» The first t shirt arrives... (Go to post)20-09-2006 @ 15:23 
awesome mate.

this reminds me that if we get these shirts done, we need to establish a rota so we don't all show up wearing one Grin
» forum improvements (Go to post)20-09-2006 @ 15:23 
oh, and how do you get to the first unread message? Or does this forum software not have that feature?
» is it an art or science? (Go to post)20-09-2006 @ 12:39 
from LGBs training log:

Originally posted by Emperor_Naseem...
Originally posted by JDVeganMofo...
it is s**te because there is no good reason to dismiss something so strongly when the supporting evidence is shaky both ways. So while i wont run in defence of something like leg press, i can see why LGB chooses to do them, and hence the vague words like can't hurt etc.

Thats why it is called art and not science Wink

Joni you are foolish!!! Powerlifting is all about science!!!!! It rests on the scientific principles of biomechanics, physics, nutrition, etc. True there is the law of individual differences which will dictate to some extent the differences between our individual training methodologies, but the process of finding out what is best for you is a process of science - trial and error - test a hypothesis, if it fails, change it and re-test. If it works, try and make it work better. This is the approach the Soviets used to use and was the reason they were so successful with all their atheletes across all sports.

the saying about it being an art and not a science is refering to the various ways in which people achieve results in their training. The circumstances vary so greatly from person to another which is why different training methods yeld different results in different cases. Of course all the reasons are rooted in solid scientific principles, but the applications of those depends on so many variations that it becomes next to impossible to analyse something like "will leg press help my squat and dead" with a hard and fast rule as you did.

discuss.

12345678910 ... ... 12731274127512761277127812791280128112821283

You are here: HomeForumJoni → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions