REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 5 members and 130 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.
You are here: HomeForumFunky_monkey → View All Posts

View All Posts: Funky_monkey

12345678910 ... 281 ... 282283284285286287288289290291292

» opinions on 'foods ,snacks during a strongman comp' (Go to post)29-08-2012 @ 22:56 
Energy drinks, pizza and pringles....
» For Sale (Go to post)25-08-2012 @ 19:35 
youngy said:
I've never really understood the benefit of reverse band set up compared to normal. Obviously you will have about 60kg of bar weight maybe and a f**k load of tension but doesn't it do the same job? and is a bit safer if the band snaps.
This isn't really the place for this discussion though, I have nothing useful to add Happy

The gym that I train at doesn't have heavy enough dumbells to hold the bands down securely - they only go up to 40kg.
» Right to die (Go to post)22-08-2012 @ 22:43 
You need to introduce a bit of torture to some powers that be until they wish to die, then they'll agree with you that Dignitas/Euthanasia is ok in certain instances. A little coincidental that this man passed away, and it's a shame that he didn't die in the manner that he wished.
» For Sale (Go to post)22-08-2012 @ 22:41 
Well this way I can compare them to what I already have. One of mine has what looks like a cut or tear, and it scares me s**tless when i'm doing reverse band box squats with 230 odd....
» For Sale (Go to post)22-08-2012 @ 22:24 
Deffo interested. Do you know what they add at the top of your deadlift? Stand on scales with one and double it around your feet, then stand up with it arms straight. Tell me how many kg heavier your scale shows, and i'll do the same.
» Equipped- how much extra does it give? (Go to post)14-08-2012 @ 22:53 
Belt only i've managed squat 227, 240 in wraps, 250ish in kit.
Bench 155 for an easy single, 190 in a shirt
Deadlift 245 belt only, 262.5 in a suit

All single ply stuff, squat was in single ply briefs.
» ???proteins???? (Go to post)11-08-2012 @ 19:36 
Cuddles said:
So by using it on it's own at certain times or mixing it with stuff at others, you would be getting the best of both worlds? Wouldn't that be a better use of your money rather than a waste?
I'm naive as to the cost of whey these days, but it was always pretty cheap when I bought it.

See the post I put above - you can use it on it's own at times, but it just won't be used to its potential/intended purpose by mixing it with other stuff as part of a shake. Nothing wrong with adding it to shakes, but it's made specifically for a quick breakdown. I'd use cheaper whey proteins such as concentrate for weight gain shakes and if you're in a rush, adding it to milk for a meal replacement. I'd save isolate (more expensive and more "pure") for pre/post workout ONLY simply because of the price hike.
» ???proteins???? (Go to post)11-08-2012 @ 19:32 
shanejer said:
I kind of disagree.
It's a supplement and if someone is in a mad rush having a shake with oats and milk and or nutbutter is going to be alot better than nothing especially if they are trying to intake high calories .

Absolutely - some protein will ALWAYS be better than none, and will definitely help if they're trying to add some more kcals. But the point I am trying to make is that its potential won't be utilised. Nothing wrong with adding whey to a shake with oats, milk etc. I add whey to my own shakes, as well as using it around workout time. It's just that it's used to its full potential as a pre/post workout supplement when combined with low fat/low fibre stuff, such as simple carbs.
» ???proteins???? (Go to post)11-08-2012 @ 17:14 
MattD90 said:
Why ?

Because whey protein is made to break down quickly. If you mix it with less water soluble proteins such as casein, or with fats or fibre, it slows down the absorption rate. The whole point of whey is to get an influx of amino acids in your blood stream quickly (like when you've got an increased blood flow to quads after doing loads of squats etc). Slowing it down is just a waste of money.
» What's your resting heart rate? (Go to post)11-08-2012 @ 00:12 
59. And I smoke. GF is much fitter than I am (I don't/can't be bothered to do any direct form of cardio, whereas she can run for 30-45mins no problem) and hers is about 70ish and doesn't smoke.
» ???proteins???? (Go to post)11-08-2012 @ 00:05 
Whey with water for quick amino spike in the blood stream (along with an energy drink if it's pre workout or haribo tangfastics if it's post workout) or if it's a mass gainer/meal replacement, i'd go with something cheaper. Not much point mixing whey with milk, oats, peanut butter etc.
» Can anyone help me before i explode (Go to post)11-08-2012 @ 00:03 
A lot of the "larger" population seem to forget what they're taking in. Forgot a few biscuits here, a packet of crisps there, adds up to 20% forgotten, or 700kcals+ a day. When you consider you need a deficit of 3,500kcals to burn a pound of fat, that's one pound of fat every 5 days the O.P could have lost.

Basics -
1g carbs = 4 kcals (we could argue about this all day, 3.75, or different types of carbs, but we'll go with 4kcals a gram for arguments sake)
1g fat = 9kcals
1g protein = 4 kcals.

A gram of protein uses 25% of it's own energy to break itself down, so for every gram or 4kcals, you'll use one of them just to be able to absorb it. Carbs can be 5-15% I think, and fats are somewhere in the region of 1-5%. It's much better to get full up on lean animal sources such as chicken, beef etc. than it is to eat pasta and cheese.

Another factor to consider is that carbs (simple ones such as sugary drinks, white bread, white potatoes etc) produce an insulin spike, This helps store fat, so a portion of chips, crisps, chocolates etc. will be perfect for helping you store fat.
If you're hungry/bored, make a sandwich with some chicken/beef in it.

As a general rule, try to do roughly the following - write down EVERYTHING you've eaten yesterday. If we ask you to write down what you're eating today, you'll be conscious of it and eat differently. I'll try to break down the protein, fats and carbs for you, and give you a rough idea of you kcal intake. Try and do the following:

4-5 meals a day, each one MUST have some form of protein - eggs, milk, chicken, beef, lamb etc. Switch to low fat alternatives - if you MUST have mayonnaise, get the light stuff. If you can't stop halfway through a giant tube of pringles, buy one 25g packet of crisps. Try to eat more fibre - oats, beans, pulses etc. Chicken curry with chickpeas and a small portion of rice (75g raw weight) would be ideal.

It's a bit on the late side for me to get into a lot of statistics, but give us an idea of what you're eating. If you do want to go for a takeaway, there are healthy options - chicken shish instead of lamb doner.
» Chocolate Hobnobs (Go to post)08-08-2012 @ 22:51 
Jacko - I was about to mention the custard cream. The working man's biscuit, only a little bit more special. Something for the weekend as a treat from the basic McVitie's Digestive. Lots of other biscuits are just pretentious, trying too hard to wow people whilst forgetting what makes a biscuit a biscuit - simplicity, ease to eat and dunkability. Anything with chocolate is just plain dangerous - need to carry a pack of babywipes if i'm going to go anywhere near anything with chocolate.
» Snatch Grip Clean (Go to post)06-08-2012 @ 22:07 
I thought i'd give this a go today - much easier for me to nail the technique. i've competed as a powerlifter for ages, and have long arms. It felt pretty natural for me, wasn't too bad at all.
» Scotlands Strongets Jnr 2012. (Go to post)03-08-2012 @ 20:15 
Brain is frazzled.....

12345678910 ... 281 ... 282283284285286287288289290291292

You are here: HomeForumFunky_monkey → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2018 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto