REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 221 guests
You are here: HomeForumMasterT → View All Posts

View All Posts: MasterT

» 272.5kg eq sumo deadlift (Go to post)10-07-2013 @ 16:18 
The sumo deadlift is a very technical lift and when performed properly those with powerful hips/thighs can shift huge weights.

It would appear that you could with some technical work add on many kilos to this lift - the prime place to start is with flexibility which will allow your feet to point further out bringing your hips closer to the bar improving the drive. This in turn will prevent the slight forward lean you have which isn't a strong position on the sumo pull.
Hip flexor, adductor and IT band stretching would serve you well in my humble opinion.
» MasterTs Log (Go to post)10-07-2013 @ 16:11 
I am still around I just do not have a huge amount of time to post.

My log would look rather poor as of late my own lifting has gone downhill at a rapid rate of knots due to work commitments.
» 212.5kg Split Jerk Behind Neck PB (Go to post)09-07-2013 @ 23:27 
MarkClegg said:
Holy f**k ! I thought you were dead !!!
Cheers guys ...

I loiter from time to time when I get a chance. You are always impressive to watch, nice to see some proper lifting.
» 212.5kg Split Jerk Behind Neck PB (Go to post)09-07-2013 @ 23:18 
Excellent lifting.
» Life is like a box of Chocolates (Go to post)09-07-2013 @ 23:16 
JC said:
aye I know mate. Even with a good shoulder, PP would and does f**k my knees

In my experience this comes from poor hip position leading to the transferal of sheer force to the patella tendon.

Do you have a video of a push press at all?
» Deadlift Lockout Help (Go to post)28-08-2012 @ 20:23 
In my experience an awful lot of deadlifters find improvement when they develop their leg strength in the initial phase of the lift, placing them much closer to the 'upright just drive the hips' form of the 18inch pull.

Much has already been mentioned, I am also a big fan of high bar and front squats (not cheating forward leaning ones) performed in the style of an olympic lifter to assist in developing this drive (goes without saying power cleans will have a good carry over too).

I agree with the vast majority of what Vanilla Gorilla has stated on here as well (admittedly not read the whole thread).
» The bear is back (Go to post)24-08-2012 @ 21:40 
I understand and appreciated the honest answer - and indeed why not if you are capable of it and have the desire!
» Trav 200kg clean off block (Go to post)23-08-2012 @ 23:47 
Well done, excellent speed.
» Speed merchants.. (Go to post)23-08-2012 @ 23:44 
The speed of a lift is usually down to efficiently of motor units within the muscles - there is another variable within this and that is muscle fibre type.

The vast majority of lifters can improve the speed (which in reality is the force of the muscular contraction) by training specifically for it.

There are several pitfalls to this training, not due to the principle itself but due to the application. Speed is relative.
You can for example lift 50-60% of your 1RM very quickly and easily - however what this does not do is fatigue the largest motor units (which are also the shortest and thus most explosive firing ones).
Speed work should be conducted with around 75% minimum of a 1RM to have carryover.

An example of the heavy vs light principle is a basketball player I once worked with wished to increase his vertical jump for obious reasons. He had been doing plyometrics day in and out - which while very explosive they did not improve his vertical leap much at all.
Six weeks with Olympic Weightlifing training and three inches were added to his leap, and this has continued to improve now that his technical ability with said lifts has improved.
Reasoning is simple, the ballistic training of plyometrics requires a very small load to be moved - thus force requirements are minimal - however when performing say a power clean, a large weight must be moved a good distance quickly requiring a much higher output of force, and as such the large motor units are trained.
Take the weight away and keep the force the same as the body is now capable of this and what do we have, more force, less weight = more speed/higher leap etc

To sum up speed work should be moving a moderately heavy weight fast, not a light weight - that is of course if you want it to carry over to a one rep maximum.
» The bear is back (Go to post)23-08-2012 @ 23:31 
You have a fantastic shape for pressing and I wish you well in your pursuit of the records.

I was curious if you don;t mind me asking how you get on with the carry, loading, stones, and deadlifts that are common in strongman competitions?
» 320kg Uneq Deadlift PB (Go to post)21-08-2012 @ 20:33 
Well done
» Invent a new 'Big 3'... (Go to post)21-08-2012 @ 20:32 
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
A general indicator of overall body strength.

That is akin to saying what is the best car in the world. For what purpose?

Different athletes require different forms of strength be it explosive, enduring, maximal output and so on - your phrase is generic as it comes really.
» Invent a new 'Big 3'... (Go to post)21-08-2012 @ 20:24 
You would have to define the strength you are testing.
» First time 200kg squat belt & wrist wraps. (Go to post)21-08-2012 @ 20:09 
VanillaGorilla said:Strong mate, but there's a lot of technical.work and a bit of depth to be improved upon there. Nevertheless, well done.

Agreed.

1RM or near 1RM always highlights technical issues which is why we often use such high % lifting for our weightlifters where it is pivotal to the lift.

Well done and great effort, however now it would be a good thing to address the issues with your squat to further improve it with good form - then it will begin to progress much more smoothly.
» 1 rep session! (Go to post)18-08-2012 @ 00:30 
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
Just something I wanted to do!
BUT, I do believe it was worthwhile, especially as training has taken a real back seat to other things in my life, and my aim at the moment is merely to maintain some degree of strength. My shoulders and triceps aren't going to get any weaker if they're expected to perform a heavy shoulder press every so often. Disagree?

I do indeed. A weight that you are capable of in such a fashion isn't going to fatigue the fast acting large motor units - as such de-adaptation will gradually occour to the point where the mentioned weight is actually a fully warmed up one rep max.

You are here: HomeForumMasterT → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions