REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 206 guests
You are here: HomeForumJames99 → View All Posts

View All Posts: James99

» Kiefer - Carbs Are Drugs (Go to post)05-07-2014 @ 08:47 
Sparrow said:
Over maintenance calories? Call me pessimistic, but I would say that's impossible.

Dan_Evans said:
You can eat loads of calories when following any diet protocol, but it doesn't mean that you will lose weight. If you are eating more than your body uses, you will gain fat, its what fat is for.

It is impossible to lose (total) weight unless calories are below maintenance. It is possible (and entirely plausible) though that someone's resting energy expenditure is quite different between diets.
» Is calories in/calories out useful? (Go to post)04-07-2014 @ 12:26 
Fazc said:
This was kind of my point, but I was a dick about it. Apologies.
Trying to see a middle ground amongst people who purposefully place themselves on the extreme edges, just seems a little too obvious.

I agree. I was only trying to make the extreme points seem a little less defensible and the reasoning behind that fairly clear.
» Is calories in/calories out useful? (Go to post)24-06-2014 @ 23:48 
Fazc said:
And in one insightful paragraph you have smashed their intellects with your keyboard hand.
BRAVO!

I'll take this and the boobs as your feeling that I've come across as a dick. Apologies. Not my intention.
» Is calories in/calories out useful? (Go to post)24-06-2014 @ 23:33 
Sparrow said:
Who said that?

I'm saying people on one side of the argument tend to believe 'calories are all that matters' and people on the other side that 'if you don't eat carbs, you won't get fat'
» Is calories in/calories out useful? (Go to post)23-06-2014 @ 23:19 
Sparrow said:What are you saying? Calories aren't important for weight loss??

I'm just suggesting that the two opposing arguments people often make both have elements of truth to them and aren't mutually exclusive.

These being:

"Calories are all that matters"

"Don't eat carbs and you won't get fat"
» Is calories in/calories out useful? (Go to post)22-06-2014 @ 15:15 
Been reading a fair amount on this topic lately so thought I’d make use of that and produce some words myself:

I think the general weight loss/gain arguments focus far too heavily on notions of calories in/calories out. This is going to be accurate, and will work, for people who aren’t drastically changing their macronutrient ratios. I wish to suggest that this won’t be of much use comparing drastically different diets, and particularly so in individuals who are most able to benefit from a lower insulin approach (pre diabetics/insulin resistant, T2 diabetics). For these cases, I think we tend to approach the issue from the wrong angle and are not considering just how differently such a diet can potentially affect fuel usage in the body i.e. greater fat mobilisation opportunity in the presence of lower insulin levels.

Put more practically, I often seem to see an approach where one calculates their caloric needs, then decides their dietary approach with a view that any approach that adheres to creating an equal deficit/surplus based on this original calculation will be equally successful. I feel that this is likely misguided for those who might be considered insulin resistant and therefore fat mobilisation opportunities are likely to substantially vary with the carbohydrate content of the diet.
» Weightlifting Gym Nottingham (Go to post)09-08-2013 @ 11:01 
Joe_MF said:
Drop me a message with your facebook details and I will add you to the group, that's our main point of contact and all the updates will run through there Happy
If you dont have facebook, get it Tongue

Just messaged you mate
» Weightlifting Gym Nottingham (Go to post)09-08-2013 @ 08:50 
Joe_MF said:
EDIT: I also just noticed you said 'in september' so if you are joining Uni of Nottingham this year, there is an Olympic Lifting & Powerlifting society which we are hoping to start up, which may give us access to bumper plates and other nice things, in the strength and conditioning room or somewhere else. Which would enable you to lift with other lifters with decent equipment.

Hi Joe, I'm joining Nottingham Uni as a postgrad this September and would be very interested in getting involved in this society.
» Cleanse questions (from a performance standpoint) (Go to post)31-05-2012 @ 12:10 
If you have time I'd suggest watching this. Haven't seen it in a while but I seem to remember it being quite good.

Maybe an exclusion diet would be a better option. Seeing how you fair without high lactose forms of dairy would be a good start.
» Hamstring and Hip Training (Go to post)30-04-2012 @ 09:40 
If you're looking for something to do at home when you have spare time, I would get a decent thickness full size band and do some high rep good mornings standing on the band with both feet and looping the other end over your head.
» Why we get fat and what to do about it (Go to post)24-09-2011 @ 09:07 
I think when arguing a ‘low carb’ approach it’s far more important to emphasise periods of time with little to no carbs rather than just having a low proportion of calories from carbs or low total amount over a measured period. This might not seem like much of a distinction at first but the point is to try and avoid chronically elevated insulin levels as this environment gives the body no opportunity to utilise body fat as a source of energy.
» Why we get fat and what to do about it (Go to post)19-09-2011 @ 16:18 
Can only speak for 'Good Calories, Bad Calories' myself and having just finished reading it i can say that it's an excellent book. A few ideas have really stuck with me.
The body accumulates and uses body fat all the time varying with food availability. Also while insulin levels are elevated, all the mechanisms that allow our body to utilise body fat as a fuel source are inhibited. This is fine for many, even on fairly high carb diets, as the space between meals, particularly sleep, allows enough accumulated body fat to be used for fuel while insulin levels are lower so as not to have a net gain in fat over any measured period. People do differ though, and as far as i'm aware, the main differences will be at the pancreatic level (differences in the release of insulin) and the tissue level (differences in insulin receptors in muscle and fat tissue). These differences will affect how this system functions.

That's probably enough for a first post!
You are here: HomeForumJames99 → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions