REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 161 guests
You are here: HomeForumdave_rogerson → View All Posts

View All Posts: dave_rogerson

12345678910 ... ... 3031323334353637383940

» Kit for sale (Go to post)09-08-2014 @ 19:36 
A former gear-whore then eh Mr Thistlewhistle?
» Great motivational video (Go to post)04-08-2014 @ 18:35 
Post Edited: 04.08.2014 @ 18:36 PM by dave_rogerson
There's a young lad who trains at one of the gyms I go to. He is in his early 20's, maybe early-mid 20s at the most I would say and this video made me think of him.

Anyway, the lad has brain damage. Really struggles to communicate and has some issues with movement and motor control. He also suffers from seizures which are provoked by stress.

Anyway, he goes to the gym everyday. He lifts weights that are clearly really challenging for him, he is trying to learn how to do stuff like handbalancing and the gymnastic-type strength training that is popular in crossfit and generally works his nuts off. He's made a ton of progress and looks better and is probably stronger than 90% of lads his age I see.

We were talking the other day and he was telling me how his seizures are becoming more common and challenging (and scary). Later on in the conversation he started explaining why he trains regularly and eats well.

His simple answer (in his words) was that we have one body, we get to chose what we do with it and have one life to live. So, why not look after yourself and just make the best of what you have. You may lose it all tomorrow.

Wise words from a young man older than his years.
» Super Official Commonwealth Games Weightlifting thread (Go to post)29-07-2014 @ 21:35 
The Aussie lifter was an absolute beast.

That's all I can add to the discussion. And what an ace Jerk by the PNG lifter (despite the touch).
» Pendlay Forum.... (Go to post)29-07-2014 @ 13:25 
One of the most surreal things I read on the net in a while that.

I wonder if the forum will resurface at some point?
» Grey area (Go to post)27-07-2014 @ 12:50 
Post Edited: 27.07.2014 @ 12:50 PM by dave_rogerson
WARNING: THIS MAY BE LONG

Going to be 100% honest. I love my job (I'm an academic, as you know). Here is the lowdown. Its a b**ch at times Al. I can get stupidly busy, always take work home with me, which means evenings, weekends and annual leave/holidays I will often have to work. I have pressure on me to do my teaching to the highest high standard, generate income for the University, conduct research, etc. With my role I essentially organise and manage two undergrad degrees and deal with red tape, bureaucracy and rubbish daily on top of the expected stuff I did above.

It can be overwhelming.

But you know what, it isn't really work mate. Yep it stressful and busy but everyday I learn something new. I am in an environment where knowledge is everywhere and I work with experts in all manner of fields. The University have paid for me to become even more educated (they paid for my post-grad teaching and doctorate education) and made time available for me to do it. I teach people about stuff I am genuinely fascinated by all the time and they appreciate it. At the end of the academic year this year I had a bunch of my students email me to say how much of an influence I had been on them and that they wanted to thank me for all that I had done.

How amazing is that?

Mate. I've done some hard, hard work over the years and this is not one of them. If you want a job/career like this, then do it.

You will need level 7 education at the minimum. That means an MSc. Get experience of teaching if you can. So, get work at a college / further education institute, keep applying for any PhD opportunties that come up and get as much experience as you can as a consultant / strength coach. If you can pick up teaching-related qualifications then do it.

Depending on the roles that come up, you do not "have" to have a PhD. Case in point, this past week I interviewed a bunch of people for one of my courses and for the role I wanted someone with lots of experience working within industry. The guy we appointed did not have a PhD or even an MSc. He has, however, been a high level coach and done a ton of work in his field.

I think the stuff you will be doing with BWL will be a great start.
» Super Official Commonwealth Games Weightlifting thread (Go to post)27-07-2014 @ 07:36 
Benfrancis1993 said:
imagine if you can get him so a 500lbs back squat
awesome potential

It would be insane. He is slowly getting stronger. 180 will go in the next few weeks. I will physically shackle him to the bar and make him do it if I have to.

To be fair, his squats are some of the lowest I have ever seen and he lifts beltless, so that has something to do with it.
» Super Official Commonwealth Games Weightlifting thread (Go to post)27-07-2014 @ 07:34 
Gingy said:Fantastic performance from Chris, such a big performance on such a big stage. Hope he uses that to really motivate him for the future! By the sounds of it, he's got an awful lot more potential to unlock HappyEek

Definitely. If we could his maximal strength and up and get him to be able to dominate his lifts like some of the others do I think his clean and jerk would rocket. He is really quick, mobile and has an unreal work capacity.
» Super Official Commonwealth Games Weightlifting thread (Go to post)26-07-2014 @ 22:25 
sexymikehowarth said:175kg back squat is very low compared to the classic lifts... Which bolds well for the future

Crazy isn't it? He can clean deadlift/pull 200 with solid back positioning, but his leg strength lacks in comparison.

I think he will mature late as a lifter and as time goes on and he gets stronger, he will do really well.
» Super Official Commonwealth Games Weightlifting thread (Go to post)26-07-2014 @ 22:14 
unit94 said:
You are now responsible for making him squat 200 for the British next year, make him do smolov for 6 months straight if you have too!
Snatch was brilliant just needs some more leg strength for the jerks

Yeah I'm on it, don't worry about that. Its all a work in progress. He will hit a clean and jerk pb soon. He seems to do this in a cycle of sorts. His snatch goes up. Clean and jerk stays static. Clean and jerk then goes up. And the cycle repeats itself with a snatch pb.

He needs to be bigger and stronger. He knows it and is working on it. His walking weight is the same as what he weighed in today. He does not cut for competition.

His leg strength actually looked good today. I suspect that the 154 cleans were pbs. I know he has caught 160 before but never stood up.
» Super Official Commonwealth Games Weightlifting thread (Go to post)26-07-2014 @ 21:40 
MrSmall said:Not sure how the other dudes will do on the CJ.

Chris has really impressed me. Come on, last attempt. Maybe a medal, top 5 attempt.

Shaun yet to start.

I swear I nearly fainted during this lift.

Chris did awesome. I'm really happy for him. To put all of this in perspective, we managed to get his squats up this past 8 weeks and he hit pbs all over the place. He front squated 160 x 2 and I think hit a 172.5, maybe 175 backsquat. Gives you an idea of how much of a technician he is.

2 years ago at the British, he bombed out on a 135 clean and jerk, having snatched 115/116 I think. The 130 was 5kg PB, the 150 was equal pb and the total = 12kg pb.

Can't ask for more than that.

Also, really, really gutted for Shaun.
» Weightlifting n that. (Go to post)18-07-2014 @ 17:58 
little_a said:
There's a reason they give stage winners a yellow T-Shirt Wink

Everything all now makes sense. Why did I not realise this sooner?
» Weightlifting n that. (Go to post)17-07-2014 @ 20:50 
little_a said:You snatch like a cyclist Wink

I need a bike.

And a cycle too.
» Bruised and Broken (Go to post)17-07-2014 @ 20:33 
Very quick one today. Had minimal time as I had to get to the dentist.

Anyway, did this:

Paused Squat + Squat
60 x 1 + 1
100 x 1 + 1
120 x 1 + 1
130 x 1 + 1
140 x 1 + 1
145 x 1 + 1

Strict Press, paused
50 x 3
60 x 3
70 x 3
80 x 5 x 3

Mid traps
5 sets 15 reps

And that was it. Really like that paused squat + squat combo. Doing that to work on speed really;the second rep feels great after the first. I've been doing it for a couple of weeks but hadn't logged it. Definitely felt speedier today. Three sets on overhead press was enough today. I doubt I would have made a 4th set of 5. Goal is to get this up to 5 x 5. Shoulders are definitely getting a bit stronger.
» Bruised and Broken (Go to post)17-07-2014 @ 20:29 
Cheers Al,

Just regaining a bit of strength from a previous life mate, isnt really that impressive. I bet you'll be doing a ton more soon enough.
» Bruised and Broken (Go to post)16-07-2014 @ 18:17 
Post Edited: 16.07.2014 @ 18:20 PM by dave_rogerson
Worked a 13/2 hour day yesterday so I wasn't able to train, most of which was spent sat down. Needless to say, my back and hips felt lovely today.

Not too bad of a session considering really.

Snatch
40 x 3 x 2
50 x 3
60 x 2
70 x 2
80 x 1
85 x 1
90 x 1
95 x 1

85 x 2 x 2

Clean and Jerk
60 x 2
80 x 2
90 x 1
100 x 1
110 x 1
120 x 1
125 x deadlift

110 x 2 x 2

Front Squats
60 x 3
100 x 2
120 x 2
130 x 2
140 x 1
150 x 1

Seated row
60 x 10
70 x 10
80 x 10
90 x 10
95 x 8
100 x 5
80 x 10 x 3

I was way too passive and mellow today, I literally had no fire in me at all. My line of pull was better though, which I was fairly happy about, but when catching my heaviest lifts I was twisting again and my feet came in. I need to spend a bit of time powersnatching again I think, it always seems to sort my pull out when I do. Jerks are still feeling good.

The front squat was a grind. Hit a huge sticking point but I was able to push through. Think that's the first time I've done 150 at the end of a session, so I was happy with that.

12345678910 ... ... 3031323334353637383940

You are here: HomeForumdave_rogerson → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions