REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 164 guests
You are here: HomeForumCJR → View All Posts

View All Posts: CJR

12345678910 ... ... 7980818283848586878889

» Chris's attempt at getting stronger (Go to post)14-01-2013 @ 20:51 
Post Edited: 14.01.2013 @ 21:25 PM by CJR
Had a massive reply typed out on my phone and lost it all :@

Had LOTS of rest over the weekend so was feeling good today. Gym had two brand new Texas Power Bars so had a play around with them. Changed squatting technique so that it's now basically a low bar oly squat i.e. torso much more upright with more bounce in the hole.

ME lower

squats - belted, with small chains (~6 kg each)
130x3 worst set of the bunch, need to do more warm up sets
130x3
130x3
130x3
130x3 rest of these were great, no problems

deficit sumo deads - off 3 mats ~ 5 inches. Beltless
120 for 3 singles. laughably slow. Need to work on these.
100 for 3 singles.

Running out of time so the following was done alternated with minimum rest.

GHRs
BW +10 x7
BW +10 x5
BW x 10

band pullthroughs
2 sets of 10

machine rows
35x7
35x7
40x5
40x5
40x5 decent

situps/side bends
2 sets each

That's more like it!! Squats felt great, nice and explosive. Lower back was probably rounding a bit at the bottom but that will improve with time. I'm not joking when I say tonight's squats were easier than Thursday's 107.5 sets!
» Chris's attempt at getting stronger (Go to post)10-01-2013 @ 20:36 
Post Edited: 10.01.2013 @ 20:37 PM by CJR
So got forced into doing squats again...

RE day

bench - with mini red bands
72.5x5
72.5x5
72.5x5 all fast

DB floor press
35x3
37.5x3
40x3
40x3
40x3

JM press
52x7
52x7
52x7

squats
107.5x5
107.5x5
107.5x5
107.5x5 beltless. All tough :s

good mornings
60x5
60x5
60x5

Alternated with

DB rows
37.5x10
37.5x10

Rest times were pretty short but still didn't have time for GHRs, reverse hypers, abs and curls. So f**ked right now. Instead of going to bed before 11 every night I've been getting approx 4 hours sleep...and waking up in the middle. Feels like I'm overtrained right now, squats felt super heavy.
» Chris's attempt at getting stronger (Go to post)08-01-2013 @ 20:50 
ME upper

bench
80x5
80x5
80x5
80x5
80x5

close grip bench - with 3 board
70x3
70x3
75x3
75x3 paused
75x3 paused

JM press
40x12
40x12

DB tricep kick ups on floor
10x12
10x12

DB shrugs
40x3
40x3
40x3

Yates' rows
90x5
90x5
80x5

one arm DB press
20x5
20x5
20x5

cheat curls
40x7
40x7
40x7

Meh. Reconsidering February's comp (10th) as I'm off on holiday for 2 weeks on feb 25th. So might be better served by skipping the comp and just building strength up to the holiday, rather than building to the comp, recovering for the week after and then essentially going straight on holiday for 2 weeks. Still got time to decide anyway. If things keep going the way they are I don't think I'll be able to improve on my total in time... :s
» Chris's attempt at getting stronger (Go to post)08-01-2013 @ 09:21 
ME lower

squats beltless
105x5
105x5
122.5x3
122.5x3
122.5x3 tough. wasn't happy with any of these.

rack pulls - from below knee
140 for 8 singles. Last one conventional just for kicks. All fast anyway

seated GMs
50x15
50x15

GHRs
BW+5kg x 8
+10kg x 7

pullthroughs/band curls
2 sets of 12 on each

machine rows
35 - 5 sets of 6

abs

Squats are going nowhere atm. Legs just constantly feel so tight, squatting with the bar is painful despite all the stretching. quads and IT band are causing the problem in particular. Don't think it's systemic overtraining as my bench feels ok and I'm not particularly lethargic throughout the day. Going to ice a lot more and try getting to bed before 11 each night! Will probably skip squats on Thursday or do them light.
» Chris's attempt at getting stronger (Go to post)08-01-2013 @ 09:19 
Post Edited: 03.10.2015 @ 13:30 PM by CJR
Thought it was about time I started a journal on here. Been keeping one on the MP forums for a few years now but it's always nice to get input from a variety of sources.

I'm 22, been strength training (properly) for about two years now, mainly doing routines such as the Texas method, madcow and 5/3/1. Recently switched over to a westside-style workout to see what I can get out of it. I train at Bethnal Green Weightlifting Club in London and competed in my first powerlifting competition in December, totalling 455kg (at 98kg BW). My next competition is in Hitchin on the 10th Feb. The plan is to continue entering comps and hopefully hit a 500kg total before 2013 is up!

Anyway, the lifts:

Squat (belted) - 157.5kg
Bench (TnG) - 105kg
Bench (paused) - 97.5kg
Deadlift (sumo) - 204.5kg (the bar weighed 17kg which is why this number is weird :s)

I occasionally upload youtube videos to my channel, including ones I took at the London olympics so if you're interested, the address is:
www.youtube.com/user/chrisryan90

Start of 2014 training
Start of training in Taiwan after 2 months off
» Super Log of Joy (Go to post)19-12-2012 @ 08:40 
Rico said:
Hi mate, cheers!
Yeah I was on it for about two months and would definitely recommend it. The only reason i'm not following it rigidly now is because im back from uni and having to train with minimal equipment (ie no bands etc), but still loosely doing max and repetition effort.
With regards to height, nah i'm a short arse! 5ft 8 on a good day!

Sounds good! One quick question though. How did you set up the bands for push pressing?? Did you just loop it around heavy dumbbells on the floor?
» Super Log of Joy (Go to post)18-12-2012 @ 13:46 
Nice lifting dude. Are you still on the forced entry method? Noticed you were on it a while back, was thinking about doing it in the new year. You seem to have gained a lot out of it.

Your strengths and weaknesses look similar to mine (except you're stronger in general), you're the same age and you weigh the same as me. Tell me you're 6ft2 and we'll be peas in a pod.
» Qualifications and a career in strength training (Go to post)17-12-2012 @ 17:16 
Post Edited: 17.12.2012 @ 17:16 PM by CJR
If I'm still in this job by the time I'm 30 I'll probably throw myself under a bus tbh (don't quote me on that)..

In all seriousness though, I never really planned on being in this line of work for more than 5 years, even before I started.
» Qualifications and a career in strength training (Go to post)17-12-2012 @ 15:36 
Post Edited: 17.12.2012 @ 15:37 PM by CJR
Funky_monkey said:I used to work in a commercial gym, and my enthusiasm did indeed drop. Definitely do NOT train at the place you're going to be working at - the number of times I'm covered in blood/sweat/chalk/all three and a customer comes and asks me a stupid question. Hours are always going to be unsociable, a majority of those who can afford to pay somebody for an expert opinion witll be working 9-5 and you'll be waking up at 5am, or working until 10pm, or both. Early starts on weekends/bank holidays aren't much fun either.

I do some work as a personal trainer (University Degree and REPS Level 3 with ACSM, this should make VG and some others laugh about my poor knowledge and stupid questions) and trying to get more into strength and conditioning, but the market is TOUGH. From personal experience, money is at commercial, poncy gyms and having clients do what they want (they'll all claim to be experts but they're overweight/weak/constantly injured) instead of letting you guide them with your expert advice.

I agree with VG that some people can get a silly qualification with 4-6 weeks training and don't think this is fair on those that have studied for years to gain an in-depth knowledge of everything, and that to me is also demoralising.

I honestly considered buying a commercial gym with a bit of a balance between prettyboy training/cardio bunnies and heavy weights, but the gym got sold to someone else. I barely see the guy who ended up buying the gym, but he obviously trains. Obviously somewhere else.

Could you not do some job shadowing for a couple of weeks to see how you feel?

Needless to say, I've not worked in a gym for a couple of years now and don't want to go back, i'd much rather know when i'm working/not working and plan my life a little better. I'm much more enthusiastic about my training that I was when I was working at the gym.

It's also worth noting that whilst the money can be excellent at some times, you can easily get NOTHING which is exactly the situation I'm in at the moment. I remember at one point having more money than I could want and luckily I saved it up for when there's no work, such as now.

May I ask what your qualifications are and what work you're doing at the moment?

Thanks for the advice, this sort of stuff kind of knocks me back into reality. And I'll be honest I never really thought about the whole working hours thing. I guess when I think about "working in the industry", I see it through rose-tinted glasses, comparing it to what some of the top American coaches have managed to do (like the whole elite FTS franchise or DeFranco's etc) even though they are merely exceptions to the rule! My degree was in Maths and I currently work in banking. As I said, not the most fulfilling of jobs! And nothing related to sports science unfortunately, although I try to do my own research as I have quite a critical mind.

Just out of interest, are there any members on here that run their own gyms? If so I'd be interested to hear their experiences.
» Qualifications and a career in strength training (Go to post)17-12-2012 @ 15:20 
Post Edited: 17.12.2012 @ 15:26 PM by CJR
Thanks for the insight VG, I was secretly hoping that you'd reply actually.

Completing a qualification is starting to look a bit more appealing and I would do it in parallel to my job, so I wouldn't have to sacrifice much at least. Yes it will cost a few hundred quid (or more), but at least I can meet more people in the industry, and the added knowledge should help my training in some way. I thought UKSCA might be better as it doesn't just focus on the snatch and C+J (which BWLA course does, I assume?)

As for actually making the leap of faith to a new job, it's a decision that I won't be taking too soon. You've given me a lot to think about though, so thanks for that.

Call me naive or idealistic, but like most of you guys I really just want to educate the general public and make them realise what a sad state the fitness industry is in right now. Although in saying that, I can imagine punching a client in the face within 3 weeks of becoming a PT lol.

Fazc said:Just to play devils' advocate. You're still very young and it could be argued you shouldn't really care *too* much about your job right now anyway. Rack up experience, sure, but it shouldn't be your life. Enjoy your training as a hobby, and appreciate the fact that you're putting away valuable experience and qualifications in a job which will support you as you get older.

As foreign as it may seem now, there will come a point where training is not your life. Where you aren't as enthusiastic and other things gain priority. At that point you may well be glad you racked up experience in a steady field which provides good money and creature comforts.

I just want to give you another perspective. I think this kind of thing goes through every young trainees head at one point or another, I know it did for me. Personally I'm glad I stayed the course. I now enjoy training as my hobby, it's valuable to me as a hobby, but I prefer the satisfaction and money from my regular day job.

Just another perspective, hope that encouraged some thought.

Interesting. I guess it's just because my job seems so unrewarding right now, and I hear no end of people saying "do what you love, don't waste your life in a job if you don't enjoy it!". At the moment, the only thing I really have any enthusiasm for is training, which is why it seemed the logical step.

My aim for the future is to run my own business/be self-employed. But I guess even if I was to start my own company in an arbitrary sector of work then I would develop an enthusiasm for that area anyway, simply because it was "my own". Don't know if that last bit makes sense lol, but I'm basically agreeing with you that maybe it is wisest to keep training as a hobby as you say.
» Qualifications and a career in strength training (Go to post)17-12-2012 @ 12:12 
Post Edited: 28.01.2013 @ 11:43 AM by CJR
Hey all, first post and it’s a bit of a long one I’m afraid, so apologies in advance for that. I’m looking for a bit of advice regarding qualifications and a profession centred on training.

First off, a bit about me. Been training for about four years now, two of those being plagued by f**karounditis/bodybuilding/useless stuff etc, with the most recent two being focussed on strength training. I train at Bethnal green weightlifting club and just competed in my first powerlifting comp there, which was an amazing experience. I totalled 455kg (needs work I know). I’ve tried weightlifting in the past but my knees couldn’t hold up to it (probably due to bad beginner technique). Despite not practicing the Olympic lifts anymore I still remain very interested in the technique behind it and the sport as a whole continues to fascinate me. I may take it up again in the future.

I graduated last year and have been working in a graduate job since then. It’s a profession that would be very rewarding (financially speaking) if I were to stick with it. Thing is, I hate my job. It’s completely uninteresting to me and I don’t want to let myself get trapped there for the rest of my life (something that could quite easily happen). It’s for this reason I’d like to switch profession to something I’m passionate about, although I'm willing to stay in my current job for a year or two more in order to accumulate some savings.

Everything in my life is prioritised based on my training. I certainly put my training above impressing my bosses and networking/kissing ass, and I think that having a job that was in some way related to strength training would suit me down to the ground. Whether it be owning my own gym, being a strength coach or even conducting research around technique, it’s something I’ve got my mind set on. I’ve felt like this for a long time which makes it seem genuine rather than a passing thought/pipe dream.

Since I don’t quite know what I want to do yet, I just want to learn as much as possible. I was thinking of completing some courses to gain qualifications, and the UKSCA and BWLA courses look to be good, decent ones. I know that qualifications won’t guarantee success, especially since there are so many pseudo-qualifications for PTs making the rounds, but I think for someone in my position it would be ideal in order to learn and meet like-minded people. This highlights another problem with my current job – nobody shares my enthusiasm for training no matter how much I try to convert them, so I’ve got all this pent up training frustration haha.

Anyway, most of that information was probably completely irrelevant because I only have a few key questions:

1) Do you think UKSCA/BWLA courses are worth the monetary investment (for someone in my position)? And if so, which would you recommend? I’d guess UKSCA as it’s more general? And are there any other courses you’d recommend above and beyond these two?

2) For those members whose profession is somehow related to strength training; has working full-time in a training environment diminished: a) your enthusiasm for the sport, and as a consequence b) your performance.

3) Am I completely wasting my time in trying to find a lucrative profession in the strength training world?

Thanks in advance.

12345678910 ... ... 7980818283848586878889

You are here: HomeForumCJR → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions