REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 210 guests
You are here: HomeForumAMH_Power → View All Posts

View All Posts: AMH_Power

12345678910 ... 818283 ... 8788899091929394959697

» A case for acceleration! (Go to post)25-04-2014 @ 15:47 
tz1127 said:Do you apply this mentality/technique to all lifts? Because there is deceleration at light weights for Deadlifts and Squats as well... If you squat too fast the bar will leave your back and the deadlift becomes a mini-shrug with arm bend...

I practice it with everything mate, it's the only way you could lift slower and still improve your speed. But as I said above, it's actually mentally tiring, the more you can visualize what you want to happen, the more likely it is to happen; if it's achievable.

Not only that, but visualizing it before it happens can excite the CNS ready to handle the load. You can excite the CNS with getting raged up.

Practice the technique while incrementing the weight, and you'll be surprised at just how much of a difference the working weight can feel. I've practiced it s**t loads, and can now use very small warmups using this method and if the acceleration timing feels good, I know I can lift well that day, even without any real weight on the bar.
» A case for acceleration! (Go to post)25-04-2014 @ 15:41 
JohnGym said:Great read. For someone who doesn't bench a lot so has to warm up with less sets and reps, would you recommend warming up a little longer with more sets and reps to practice the technique?

I spent a few sessions do literally 100's with just the bar, it's actually mentally draining, but it's worth it. Even more useful when injured, as you can still gain...
» A case for acceleration! (Go to post)25-04-2014 @ 15:27 
Gotty said:Makes a lot of sense. I guess similar theories apply when delivering a punch, or the timing of a golf swing, you want maximum acceleration at the point of impact.

Timing, acceleration and control are all linked. Use maximum force at the bottom/start of a lift and the margins for error are greater. Explode into the wrong line and you are going to fail. A relative "ease" into the right line ensuring control and then exploding through sticking points will increase your chances of passing.

This x100000. I think you just summarized my whole thread in one paragraph mate, cheers... I better start working on my metaphors!
» A case for acceleration! (Go to post)25-04-2014 @ 15:05 
Oxman said:Going to play with this, up to what sort of % in warm ups do you take this method mate?

Train no different to how you usually would mate, just every rep from the bar to you working rep, try pick up pace as the bar moves, as opposed to giving it everything at the start only for it to slow down towards the top!

Imagine bands are slowing it down, and you have to accumulate more strength as it gets higher
» A case for acceleration! (Go to post)25-04-2014 @ 12:49 
BigMacca said:
pfft!
You can use your so called 'science', 'research' and even 'self evident' testing to prove anything - Forfty percent of people know that.
To be able to continue to build up speed throughout the bench movement, you need to do the following things

• Not bench at all
  • Only use a smith machine for your pressing movements
  • Only use a 40-60% range of motion
  • Viking Press carpet rolls whenever possible

In summary, you know nothing!

I'll get my coat!
Do the 40-60% ROM have to use a slingshot reverse grip in a smith machine? And should this be before are after snatching carpets
» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)25-04-2014 @ 12:20 
Oxman said:Great stuff mate and your scientific back up is awesome! I have started to implement your % ideas this week, so far feels good and was nice not to feel crippled the day after deadlifts!

Thanks mate! Sadly I still feel crippled after deadlifts! but this is due to a stupid nerve issue I have and not the routine.

If there is any doubt whatsoever, do it for just a few weeks, have a long weekend off then try your 1RM, you might just see the light...

Cheers again
» A case for acceleration! (Go to post)25-04-2014 @ 12:15 
Post Edited: 25.04.2014 @ 12:22 PM by AMH_Power
So...

The solution is not to explode immediately then use the momentum/flywheel effect to finish the lift... as when the bar starts approaching 90% plus, this will not happen.

The solution is to accumulate speed, so while warming up, pressing off the chest should start progressive and get faster and faster. You should feel like you are committing more and more as the bar is going higher and higher. If you commit 100% at the bottom, by the top you'll be sustaining about 90% of your peak output... it's better to start at 70-90 and finish at 100!

With time and practice, the speed off the chest wont be much different to how you used to explode before, but the difference is your old method will slow down as the lift progresses, with this method it will get faster... giving a higher chance of successful maxes and will also negate the need to use bands/chains... your practicing what bands are artificially making you do, every rep, every set, every session.

Think I'm talking s**t? Lay on your back with a medicine ball... explode off your chest and see how high you throw it.
Now do the same, but don't explode off the chest... accelerate and drive as you go... watch the difference.. now imagine this AFTER practice... after-all, you've been practicing exploding and you just beat yourself using the acceleration method.

Hope this warm up/lifting method helps, and hopefully I explained it well, it can be applied to squat and the deadlift too... some awesome deadlifters do it naturally... they don't tug/explode off the floor, they accelerate from tension.

Cheers for reading...
» A case for acceleration! (Go to post)25-04-2014 @ 12:09 
Hi all.

Just thought I'd share an invaluable tip on bench which I don't think I've seen elsewhere.
You hear time and time again of 'exploding off the chest'... well this can actually be bad for maximal efforts when practiced at lighter weights...
Before you puke in your mouth or wash your hands of me... hear me out!

I am absolutely a firm believer in fast lifting, the faster the better....
BUT!!! There's something that usually goes a miss, and by warming up/practicing a simple technique I guarantee you'll be a greater bencher for it (unless you sub consciously do this already!)

When we explode off the chest (especially with light weight), there's a few things that are detrimental to lifting, one is called the zero acceleration curve, and the other is a mechanic built into the nervous system called the Golgi-Tendon reflex.

Zero acceleration curve: When lifting with a light bar, if you explode off the chest.. there will be enough momentum to finish the lift by stopping pressing around the mid way point... congratulations, you've just trained yourself to stop pressing at the most mechanically difficult part of the bench, when the angles are at the most open and when there is a transition in dominant muscles used.

Golgi-Tendon reflex: Is a function where the body inhibits a movement if there is a threat of harm to itself. This can be overcome chemically (adrenaline anyone??) but raging often can be bad for recovery, health and injury prevention. The GTR will kick in if your bench is flying to the lockout, GTR will kick in to prevent you dislocating your own elbows at speed! The problem is, the GTR can be pre-emptive, so exploding at the bottom the GTR doesn't give a f**k that gravity will slow the bar down (which it will), it will engage the GTR quicker... which would be fine if gravity also slow the bar down...

Solution following... post limit approaching...
» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)25-04-2014 @ 11:50 
Post Edited: 25.04.2014 @ 11:53 AM by AMH_Power
Todays session, Week 2 Squat day 2

bar x 5
140 x 2

200 x 2
200 x 2
200 x 2
200 x 2
200 x 2
200 x 2

Ab cable crunches 3 x 8

There was no difference to last week in speed or difficulty (they were pretty quick but a lot of room to be faster), but I am fatigued from the last squat session, so already showing early possible adaptation; will need some more session 2's to be sure....

Tomorrows session is bench 2.
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)24-04-2014 @ 21:59 
Post Edited: 24.04.2014 @ 22:00 PM by AMH_Power
PaulSavage said:
You don't always know what's going on from a video, but since i row'd 142.5kg for 10 afterwards, holding at the top with almost no body movement, surely you could figure out that i don't use 80% quads when i row. Also that's basically saying i'm thick as f**k or in some way mentally challenged as who would use 80% legs to train there back?

Clever deduction there mate, you derived 'thick as f**k' from my observation on your video?

"that's basically saying i'm thick as f**k or in some way mentally challenged as who would use 80% legs to train there back?"

That comment reminds me of them comedy x-Factor auditions
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)24-04-2014 @ 21:54 
PaulSavage said:
lol yes definately a poor troll attempt. You get no more replies.

Honestly?

I came into your thread wondering if you was a pro troll....
So I watched your videos, and was still non the wiser...

If I was to troll you, I'd start by correcting your spelling of 'definitely'.

I won't though, because as scary as it is, I'm starting to think this whole act of yours is actually real....
» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)24-04-2014 @ 21:47 
Benfrancis1993 said:I was bored as f**k at work so read your journal today.

I enjoy your training method, you also seem to know a lot of useful stuff about getting strong.

Nice work chief

Thanks mate, it's all about the laziness. No wasted effort here, all about optimal haha!
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)24-04-2014 @ 21:43 
VanillaGorilla said:
Yea, well, you can prove anything with your 'science' and 'facts'.
You can't win an argument just by being right you know.
Grin

Touche Happy
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)24-04-2014 @ 21:42 
PaulSavage said:
I know i'm using some body english but it's not from quads, i don't feel it in them at all. The english comes from back and hamstrings, but i feel it almost solely in rhomboids and lats.

Lats? Maybe a touch of lats if you were actually bent over. The lats shorten to pull the shoulders down.

Maybe you are thinking teres-major/minor or even traps with your upright posture.

Maybe you don't feel it in your quads because they are so used to that technique, they are now efficient at it.
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)24-04-2014 @ 21:39 
PaulSavage said:
Well firstly, i didnt think it was wrong, it was wrong, so far wrong that i thought you were posting mindless hate. I now see that your just very closed minded, so i will read it after this post.
Feel free to post a video of your perfect form 182.5kg rows for a set of 10. I'm sure that will be easy as f**k for you since your so well educated on how to train

The only hate is your hate for any criticism or advise given to you by others.

In regards to the rows, that's my whole point. I'd row a weight I could actually row and not do a semi deadlift shrug.

Closed minded? Joint stress isn't about open mindedness or opinion, two rotational torques constrained to single axis or plane will increase the moment/roational torque at the pivot (in this case your shoulder and elbow).

12345678910 ... 818283 ... 8788899091929394959697

You are here: HomeForumAMH_Power → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions