REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 233 guests
You are here: HomeForumAMH_Power → View All Posts

View All Posts: AMH_Power

12345678910 ... 848586 ... 8788899091929394959697

» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)22-04-2014 @ 18:33 
Samthepigman said:good read

its comes across quite simular to a routine i was doing when i got to the gym regularly, but i dont / didnt have the in depth knowledge about lifting that you do so it probably wasnt quite as effective, but i was basically

week 1 5x5
week 2 5x5
week 3 3x3
week 4 heavy single + 6 singles @ 80%

each week i would increases by 2.5%

the problem was i didnt really know what to do once i started hitting percentages where i was failing,

the way yours works out looks much better Happy

A 185 bench at 90 is class mate, so I think it was close enough! Nice work mate
» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)22-04-2014 @ 17:53 
mic_od said:im really enjoying this journal!

Im 2 weeks in to a routine that you posted in another thread(arp training method).
I had 5 weeks off training before I started it, its ridiculous how much strength ive lost!
however ive been very realistic with my numbers, but everything feels heavier than it should, do you think id be better off doing some 5x5 training before starting this kind of training

The arp is really good for 'the standard', if it feels heavier than it should you may have been over generous on the starting numbers mate, just ease back... it's better to take a bit longer to hit goals than to never hit them through fail training!
» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)22-04-2014 @ 16:57 
Post Edited: 22.04.2014 @ 16:59 PM by AMH_Power
Todays session, Week 2 Bench Session 1.

Bar x 5
100 x 2

135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

A video of set 3 or 4, forget which. Had to remove the turbo homo radio in the background:

ps. Embedded a video! No more reliant on the forum tech's!
» Study into beards and attractivness (Go to post)22-04-2014 @ 13:27 
dannyboy73 said:This current study shows that there is a tipping point whereby a beard represents perceived difference and desirability until...everyone gets one!Unhappy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27023992

But then surely it comes down to the biggest!
» My article on the overhead press (Go to post)22-04-2014 @ 13:23 
Brilliant read, thanks.
» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)22-04-2014 @ 13:17 
kirkynick said:
Cheers! You obviously know your stuff.

Anytime bud
» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)22-04-2014 @ 13:16 
JohnGym said:
Awesome read!

Cheers John, at least you know some more of the nuts and bolts of your routine!
» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)22-04-2014 @ 13:06 
kirkynick said:Thanks mate for the in-depth reply. Much appreciated.

I've attached the full reply on the previous page, this mugged me off, only put half of it!

Cheers
» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)22-04-2014 @ 13:02 
This is trolling me.

I'll upload a word document....
» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)22-04-2014 @ 13:01 
Post Edited: 22.04.2014 @ 13:05 PM by AMH_Power
It wouldn't let me write my full reply...

Here it is in a word document.

http://www.angelware.co.uk/amh.doc

Cheers
» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)22-04-2014 @ 12:58 
Post Edited: 22.04.2014 @ 13:00 PM by AMH_Power
kirkynick said:I know you have a routine written out in full for when you are concentrating on one life in your bench thread, but do you have what you're doing now written out in full somewhere?

How long do workouts takes, how long do you rest between sets?
How is your weekly training set out?

Right, I'm going to go all out on this answer, as the answer isn't a quantifiable routine... it writes itself as it goes, but I'm not making it up from thin air, hear me out....

So, we've all been there, doing an amazing routine, definitely seeing gains... then we hit one of these weeks that says deload. But why?
What if it's still easy, what if i'm still gaining on that rep range, what if I've not hit overreach to even benefit from a deload?
BUT! what if I had a routine that let me deload when my body told me, not by how it felt, but on simple performance.....?

Enter Auto-Regulation.

First, just to clarify, using RPE is NOT auto-regulation as such, this is slightly different. RPE is not an efficient way to gain maximal strength, there is much much simpler and more effective ways...but I'll save this for another post.

The system compromises of 3-5 training days a week. Regardless of the days, there is 2 bench sessions, 2 squat sessions and 1 deadlift. These can be done on seperate days (5 days training) or the squat and bench can be performed on the same day, resulting in 3 training days per week (although I recommend 5, as the rest is no different per muscle group, but there are transient spikes in male hormone Testosterone and Insulin Growth Factors (mainly IGF-1) after weight training, so although the training isn't any harder, we are getting one of the 'pro's' out of frequency at no cost.... other than the drive to the gym.

So, into the meat of it....

Session 1 will be the varying day, which will change over time (more on this shortly)
Session 2 will be fixed at 6 sets of 2 at 80% of my TARGET goal. so, if my target squat was 300kg, I'd do 6x2@240.
But what about deadlift, this only has one session? Correct. Deadlift will only do session one.

Why 80%????
Lifting more than 80% has NO greater training stimulus than lifting 1RM.

Why doesn't it???
All muscles contract as fast as they physically can during any movement. Bicep curling a pencil slowly, will simply only recruit tiny amounts of fibres, hence the slow movement. fibres have no varying speed, they just 'go' or 'stop'....
Anyway, at 80% we are recruiting as many fibres as we physically can, BUT, above 80% the same recruitment as taken place, just the time under load is increased exponentially resulting in a MUCH greater recovery demand. however, going heavier is needed to practice skill with load and induce some skeletal changes, which are mutually exclusive to lighter loads. This is why with have a 'session 1' day, which will cover all loading percentages.

But isn't 80% of a target more than my current 80%?
bingo! this will induce an initial mild overreach (3 weeks(ish)), but over time, as we get stronger this load will become 83 82 81 80 79 etc... giving us what is called long term overreach 'surfing'. We are surfing the overreach wave as it is slowly dying out... resulting in a very long taper, giving us the illusion of easier workouts, despite the first day getting heavier and heavier. It's a massive pro to what can be called contrast training (macro). Some people (like Moz) use micro contrast training, which is heavier and lighter in the same session.
The 80% day (session 2) over the 3-4 even 5 month routine will gradually become a dynamic effort day. If you can lift 80% faster, GUARANTEED it's no longer your 80%.

Well, that was the science behind the 'session 2' aka Surf day. Might want to get a brew, we are about to cover the auto regulation day (session 1).....

When it comes to sets, reps, recovery etc etc, everybody is pretty different. This is a huge pro to this style of training, it will allow you to hit short term overreaching hard, recover substantially, and carry on intensifying at the fastest rate that YOUR body can achieve.

So, what does this s**t look like?
Basically, a rough starting point is about 50-60% of your 1RM for 5x5. Then each week we simply increment by 5kg. We repeat this process until we fail, if we fail then we are most certainly in overreach as we have performed a few week ramp up to a gradual failure.... this now calls for a deload. But, the deload will be on the tonneage, and NOT the weight. We will simply use the same weight on the following session, but now for 4x4. We have literally dropped the tonneage by 35% from doing 25 total reps to 16 total reps. For ease of speech, this is near enough half the work of what we are used to, this is a BIG deload... but yet the weight is the same.

What now? Well, we stay on 4x4 for the next few week, and carry on incrementing 5kg.... until we inevitably hit our next overreach, fail, and need to deload again...this time to 3x3 (which is a 45% decrease in volume), and this process repeats until 2x2... fail...1x1 increment in 5's until we hit that target.

So, given my current routine, here is an educated guess at what it might look like (for simplicity, I will only use squat day), weeks are seperated by a space:

session 1: 5x5@190
session 2: 6x2@220

session 1: 5x5@195

session 1: 5x5@200

FML. It didn't post all of it, this was about 30% of my reply!!! rest to follow.
» Nails Log (Go to post)22-04-2014 @ 11:22 
40 rep kettlebell swing warmup!

I'd be spent, session done haha.

Crazy volume, fair play mate.
» JohnGym - Once A Week (Go to post)22-04-2014 @ 11:19 
Good to see someone else doing real warmups haha.

How did you find the 5's mate? If they was anything other then real easy I'd give second thought to diet! Save that s**t for when you are on the doubles and singles!

Look forwards to you hitting the end goals bud.
» Moz's training log (Go to post)22-04-2014 @ 11:10 
moz said:Right so im at the start of a new cycle and I've recently pulled 272 and attempted 280 which left the floor to about my knees and I feel like this would fall pretty soon. So here's my plan... critique please gents, these lifts will be performed on Wednesday after squat and bench (I like a full power day conditions you for comp). I'll be doing a max single then 90% of that single for 5.

week 1
1 x 230, 5x207
week 2
1 x 240, 5x215
week 3
1 x 250, 5x225
week 4
1 x 260, 5x235
week 5 (deload)
1 x 240, 5x215
week 6
1 x 250, 5x225
week 7
1 x 260, 5x235
week 8
1 x 270, 5x245
week 9
pb... 280!?

I've been pulling 240x6 no probs in training so I think these weights are more than manageable and it's how I took my dead from 250 to 270.... don't fix something that's not broke? altho it's a set of 5 each rep will be done like a single. effort concentrated on speed.

Really good linear periodization here Moz, but you could hit a bigger single with a taper.

You have two blocks of accumulation divided by a deload. I'd keep this method when away from comp, but approaching a comp. I'd keep incrementing the weight, but the weekly tonneage needs to start decreasing... Accumulation allows you to hit the overreach, but accumulating while in overreach will just flatten off the peak well before it's potential.

A very similar method can be found in the Ed Coan/Phillipi routine, which is doing heavy followed by light, but he properly tapers to hit a big single at the end.

I think you've naturally almost landed yourself on that very routine, see what you think... it's programming is correct and pretty flawless:

http://tsampa.org/training/scripts/coan_phillipi_deadlift/

Like I said, your lifting method is very similar this (and maybe similar to Andy Boltons if I'm not mistaken). If it works for you stay with it, but I'd definitely consider the use of tapers just for meets.

Fingers crossed for the new pb for you mate, good luck.
» Walker Power (Go to post)22-04-2014 @ 10:05 
Strong lifting mate,

How long you going Bulgarian? Reason I ask is over a month you'll think you've lost strength, but it's just fatigue.... Soon start rocketing back up and beyond!

Good luck

12345678910 ... 848586 ... 8788899091929394959697

You are here: HomeForumAMH_Power → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions