REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 207 guests
You are here: HomeForumAMH_Power → View All Posts

View All Posts: AMH_Power

12345678910 ... 86 ... 8788899091929394959697

» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)18-04-2014 @ 21:54 
Sparrow said:
What does that 100 actually mean? 100kg more than the reps? So if so a max of 400?

f**k!

Yeah it's not off his pb, it's off the weight he did the reps with!

400kg.....

Good luck Paul.
» 280kg x 5reps deadlift at 90kg BW (Go to post)18-04-2014 @ 21:53 
I'll swap some chest for that back!

Quality lifting mate.
» Jerksville (Go to post)18-04-2014 @ 21:51 
slimsim said:Lovely, all of them!

x2.

I watch these videos and there's a tiny bit of me inside that is dying to start oly lifting, think it looks awesome and I full on enjoy picking up new skills.

But, as a powerlifter, I'll have to suppress this urge with ATG squats!

Awesome lifting mate.
» Paul Savage training log (Go to post)18-04-2014 @ 21:47 
PaulSavage said:
At the start of the journal. They have not changed just going to take my time with the 300kg x 10 dead goal.

10 reps???? isn't your max pb 280?

A VERY accurate judge of 1RM is by multiplying the weight by the reps, then divide by 30...

So 300x10/30 = 100!

so if your old max is 280kg, then your 1RM would be 380kg give or take 5kg.

Do you implement S.M.A.R.T when selecting goals?
Specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely....

Enjoyed the row video mind, cheers
» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)18-04-2014 @ 19:28 
Post Edited: 18.04.2014 @ 19:29 PM by AMH_Power
93hopkinsonr said:I like the look of low reps. I never understand why powerlifter work up to 10s and stuff as their top set

It's to gain sarcoplasmic mass, where you are increasing the reserve of muscle fuel (ATP). Lower reps actually builds the muscle itself although its a very slow process (myofibrillar).

The theory is that having more ATP/muscle fuel, you will be better conditioned to be able to induce more gains from myofibrillar type training (singles etc)...
However, I personally believe the gains won't be any better, BUT it will allow you to do more singles in one session.

I'd still prefer to do myofibrillar, which means I'll be stronger, so that same session of 'more singles' with the same weight can be done anyway; as this would be a lighter weight in contrast (ie, 'session 2' of my routines /80%)....

another argument for favoring intensity over volume Happy
» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)18-04-2014 @ 18:10 
JohnGym said:There is so much good stuff written in here already.

There are some really clued up contributors on Sugden lately which is great. (AMH, VG, Irish Marc plus others).

Aaron, I'm resting until Monday then starting your plan. Looking forward to it already!

Quality stuff mate, keep it simple and enjoy the gains!
You'll find it will be a mirror of how this one will pan out, look forwards to the long term results....
» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)18-04-2014 @ 17:16 
Post Edited: 18.04.2014 @ 17:17 PM by AMH_Power
Oxman said:Great squats mate, would love to squat 200 so rapidly it leaves my shoulders at the top!

thanks mate!

It has something to do with rep work, I noticed it in the lads I trained. I noticed that as soon as we started peaking for a meet and ditching off volume, power started to increase (even with light weights, the speed was much more).

I can only speculate that training with more reps makes you lift conservatively to achieve the full set, and in turn you are training to be efficient instead of proficient.

Practice to save energy, or practice to consume as much as possible in a short period of time; another personal theory on why I believe (high)volume is inferior to intensity. Volume should come from overall work done, not how many reps per set. More singles can still achieve volume, it will just be that they were all done with heavier weight.
» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)18-04-2014 @ 15:33 
AdamT said:super strong mate!

Thanks mate, will start getting some videos next week when I'm back at my native gym!
» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)18-04-2014 @ 11:47 
Post Edited: 18.04.2014 @ 11:49 AM by AMH_Power
93hopkinsonr said:Strong squats for the start of a build up. Do you ever compete with wraps?

No, never even tried them mate. Just doesn't appeal to me, belt's don't really, but I'd be at a loss if I didn't wear one as my fed uses belts.

I try not to use a belt as much as possible, and tend to use it more near a meet so I can learn how to maximize it's effects.

ps. This day will stay at 200 for a fair few month, it's just that it will get faster and faster (and easier, so that as my main day becomes harder, this will serve as a welcome rest in the form of a DE day, but at the minute it's a full on session).
» AMH's training log. Goal, 800+ Raw @100kg. (Go to post)18-04-2014 @ 10:50 
Post Edited: 18.04.2014 @ 10:57 AM by AMH_Power
Todays session:

Squat(raw ATG, no wraps etc)

2 x 60
2 x 140

2 x 200 - rapid, left my shoulders at the top
2 x 200
2 x 200 - paused as groove was a bit off
2 x 200 - bit of cramp just above left bum cheek
2 x 200 - bit squeezy but still smooth and relatively quick

Think I'm rid of the bug, just a bit of a chesty cough to clear. Bench tomorrow...
» Nails Log (Go to post)17-04-2014 @ 19:34 
Post Edited: 17.04.2014 @ 19:34 PM by AMH_Power
Oxman said:Great stuff mate, pausing bench now then? Powerlifting in mind??

yeah, he should, decent total!
» Training split advise, where to stop (Go to post)17-04-2014 @ 19:31 
HeavySingle said:
Thanks I'm really glad you posted in here actually. I would happily merge 2 of the days, but as it is of now my sessions last quite a while. If you don't mind me asking what sort of assistance work do you for the big 3?
Thanks again, I've been following your log with interest

I don't do any assistance work mate...

But, if I explain why/when to or not to do assistance (in my opinion!), it might help you design a more optimal regime for you.

Lets take bench press as an example....

3 scenarios.....

1. The bar fails to leave the chest:

Either it's too heavy by a mile, or there is a weakness in the chest.
Providing it isn't the former, then you could do two things; either isolate the muscle (better for off season/away from comps) or do a variant of the lift to emphasize this muscle (wide grip bench); better closer to comps as the carry over will be greater.

2. The lift looks decent, but you can't quite lock it out at the top:

Either the triceps are lacking, or you have practiced too long with a lighter weight (with lighter weights the bar gains speed so the force required to move the bar in motion is less, aka 'flywheel effect'.
So same story, off season; isolate the tri's... coming to comp variant of the bench; ie close grip. If it's from the zero acceleration curve/flywheel effect then maybe use some bands or chains.

Right, the next scenario is key to not wasting 1) your time, 2) effort, and more importantly 3) f**king up your recovery:

3. The bench gets half way then fails:
Do not do accessory work. Why???
Because this is where the moment/torque is at it's greatest as it is where the lever arm is the furthest away from the pivot when viewed from the lifting plane.
Basically, given everything is equal, this is where the lift should fail. So why waste time doing accessory work if everything is failing in harmony? If there is tonnes of energy to burn, do some more of the same.

I won't bore the s**t out of you with failing points/sticking points, but you can google the sticking points and then decide if them muscles need work.

Even then, mugging absolutely everything I said there off, if something is lacking a little bit I still wouldn't do accessory work, as this muscle will have to work a bit harder than the rest and so will incur the most adaptation. It's only when the other muscles aren't achieving anything as the other is so weak does it need addressing.

Follow my log mate, it's new mind, but you'll see exactly what my sessions consist of, not too dissimilar from Malanichev.

» Not your average Scientist (Go to post)17-04-2014 @ 19:05 
Post Edited: 17.04.2014 @ 19:07 PM by AMH_Power
Enjoyed looking through this journal mate, cheers for sharing.

On that last failed squat attempt, I noticed you don't pull much air in, is this intentional or is it something you'd consider trying?

Can make such a difference having air in your gut, not to mention negating the risk for injury!

Just to show you what I mean....
If you hold as much air as you can and squat as low as you can with just the bar, exhale while in the hole and watch your hamstring lose all tension and knees drift forwards more so than normal... and what follows will be 's**tting dog syndrome' where there's tucking of the lower spine (can be normal, but not if it doesn't need to happen). Pulling s**t loads of air in will stop this from happening, as well as supporting the spine. I noticed even on the unrack you didn't suck it in, you'll be much more stable if you do!

Suck it in, you'll smash that squat in no time,

cheers again for vids!
» Training split advise, where to stop (Go to post)17-04-2014 @ 18:53 
Thanks for giving my squat training method a go mate...

Don't know what to expect with hybrid strongman stuff, but don't forget you can merge a squat and a bench day, or overhead and deadlift day...

This will obviously create a spare rest day you can use prior to your events day to ensure you are fresh, as I can only imagine they are quite a toll on the lower back.

Cheers
» Arram & Rich- Dumbbell Medley (50kg, 55kg, 60kg, 65kg, 70kg) (Go to post)17-04-2014 @ 18:50 
OH s**t!

haha made me laugh. quality lifting lads

12345678910 ... 86 ... 8788899091929394959697

You are here: HomeForumAMH_Power → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions