REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 160 guests
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitBands

Bands

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

badmongoIconBands30-07-2013 @ 12:04 
has experience of quad imbalance
Member 3676, 427 posts
I'm planning on getting bands. I want them for pull aparts and also to overload deadlift lockout either normal setup or reverse
Ideally one pair to suit both needs would be good as money is tight.
I really don't know much about them so advice on length and strength would be good
badmongoIcon...31-07-2013 @ 07:11 
Member 3676, 427 posts
Basically would a pair of no 2 SS bands be ok for deadlifts and pull aparts?
VanillaGorillaIcon...31-07-2013 @ 09:02 
the UK's leading expert in bio mechanics
Member 1973, 7379 posts
A number 2 would be great for pull aparts, but you won't even notice it on deads. I use a 4 for deads.
FazcIcon...31-07-2013 @ 09:06 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
I think we've all been close to doing a number 2 on a max set of squats at some point...

But yeah definitely 3 or 4 with Squats and Deads. If you really want just one pair then maybe the 3, and try and tighten up to increase the resistance somehow. You might be okay with the 3 for pull aparts, just grip it wider.
badmongoIcon...31-07-2013 @ 09:07 
Member 3676, 427 posts
Not having any experience with bands would it make any difference if I were to double up the no 2s ie both ends on the bar with the band passing under the rack?
How would you usually set up bands to overlead lockout?
FazcIcon...31-07-2013 @ 09:11 
Member 38, 6253 posts
badmongo said:Not having any experience with bands would it make any difference if I were to double up the no 2s ie both ends on the bar with the band passing under the rack?
How would you usually set up bands to overlead lockout?

I think if you're looking for bang-for-the-buck you should prioritise the big lifts. If that was me, I would aim to do what's best for SQ/DL/OHP and then make it fit for pull aparts somehow. So IMO 3 or 4.

For overhead lockout, dumbbells on the floor works well. Or hook it under your power/squat rack. That's what I've done with Benches (doubled) so single should work fine for overhead.
badmongoIcon...31-07-2013 @ 09:20 
Member 3676, 427 posts
I definitely want them for deads it's the only lift where my lockout is bad but at the moment shoulder rehab is a priority as I have a problem with my right shoulder. If I could get away with the 3s for pull aparts I will go with them
Just to throw something else into the mix, what about reverse band set up for my lockout on deads? Would that be better as the resistance is more natural at the top of the lift? Also would this effect the no. band I would need.
Sorry for all the questions but this is all very new to me
FazcIcon...31-07-2013 @ 09:27 
Member 38, 6253 posts
I've done band pull aparts with 3's, not sure about it with an injury though? Depends how bad it is.

badmongo said:Just to throw something else into the mix, what about reverse band set up for my lockout on deads? Would that be better as the resistance is more natural at the top of the lift? Also would this effect the no. band I would need.
Sorry for all the questions but this is all very new to me

Regular band set up, will lock you into a groove. A bit like a smith machine, but not quite as rigid. You can get a s**t tonne of resistance at the top which really pulls you back down.

Reverse band, this feels a lot more natural. You get a little spring off the bottom but at the top it's mostly just bar weight, heavy bar weight, but still just regular bar weight.

I much prefer regular bands for speed work, reverse for regular strength work. Just what I prefer.
badmongoIcon...31-07-2013 @ 09:40 
Member 3676, 427 posts
Thanks for the reply, would I use the same bands for reverse set up as normal? How do you set them up for normal as I think the only way I could do it is by doubling them over?
FazcIcon...31-07-2013 @ 09:49 
Member 38, 6253 posts
badmongo said:Thanks for the reply, would I use the same bands for reverse set up as normal? How do you set them up for normal as I think the only way I could do it is by doubling them over?

Same bands yeah.

For regular set up, dumbells on the floor. Or loop them through stacked plates on the floor. Or loop them under your rack. Any one of those methods works well. Just be careful that the bands aren't more powerful than what you use to hold them down!
ScottishIcon...31-07-2013 @ 14:54 
Member 2092, 592 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 220
550.0 kgs @ 123.7kgs UnEq
I would add that the ss bands are rubber and the woody bands are layered latex - iv had woody bands 6 years and none have snapped they are worth the extra few pound IMO
JackRevansIcon...31-07-2013 @ 15:07 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
I got 2 purple strength shop ones. They are satisfactory for pull aparts and also I got the long ones so they can be doubles or quadrupled over during deadlifts for filthy resistance. Anyway pull aparts don't do anything anyway. They didn't even get me jacked
unit94Icon...31-07-2013 @ 15:11 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10446 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
JackRevans said: Anyway pull aparts don't do anything anyway. They didn't even get me jacked

Don't let elitefts hear you say that!
MasterTIcon...31-07-2013 @ 15:16 
Member 2509, 123 posts
SQ 335, BP 237.5, DL 380
952.5 kgs @ 106.4kgs UnEq
For pulls they have their place but in terms of deadlifting I have never been a fan.

I strongly believe the rapid loading of the bicep tendon is a hazard waiting to happen. The same is true of chains on the deadlift.

Personally I cannot understand why more people do not build a powerful powerclean and front squat to develop exceptional drive from the ground, focus on good full body form when deadlifting using an appropriate % of weight and overload the lockout with a constant weight using lifting blocks.

My views may be antiquated in light of the current trends but I have seen so many exceptional deadlifters never worry about bands I just have never seen a useful real world application for them.
VanillaGorillaIcon...31-07-2013 @ 15:26 
the UK's leading expert in bio mechanics
Member 1973, 7379 posts
MasterT said:
Personally I cannot understand why more people do not build a powerful powerclean and front squat to develop exceptional drive from the ground

Two reasons: Technical limitations, mobility limitations.

A lot of athletes simply do not have the required skill sets.

You could argue that the athlete in question could acquire them, or find a substitute, and that's an individual thing.

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitBands
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions