Prep day 1

Squats

WU 60x10, 100x8, 140x6, 180x4, belt on 210x3

250x1x2p
250x1

Bench
WU 60x10, 80x8, 100x6, 120x3

130x2x1

Feeling a bit tired today as the early mornings are back plus doing some diy building work round the house (flaming diy, hate it)...

Squats - warm ups were good 210 felt comfortable and deep, split my shorts on the first rep though but kept going through my workout, hope that doesnt happen in the worlds lol... thought I put 240 on the rack but then when did the first set it felt heavy so did a partial then another which was near parallel... re-racked the bar and counted the weight up... it was 250... doh!! so did another single which was much smoother and deeper which was nice... legs felt great after that...

Bench - warm ups were great, concentrated on keeping my back tight through the whole movement and getting a nice drive off the chest... 130 and I got the first rep with a bit of a stall in the middle, not so much a stall as a slow down but didnt give up just drove through it... second single was much much easier for some reason but certainly felt a tweak in my left arm as it went a little of line... pulled it back in and felt good...

very happy with todays workout, hit all my numbers I wanted and even went heavier even if by accident on squats lol...
GreyphantomIcon...07-11-2011 @ 18:51 
TL:DR
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prep day 2

Deads

WU 120x10, 170x8, 210x5, 250x2

290x3xf

Warm ups went awesomely well... flew up and just didnt feel heavy at all... in fact had to stop at 2 on 250 as wanted to try for 3 or 4 but thought it might take too much out for 290 which I really really want to get... but alas it just wasnt to be, got the bar to the knees and on the first rep I thought it was going to continue up and lock out but it wasnt to be... really not sure why as I have the power to get it off the floor and all I need to do is continue pulling and push the hips through but for some reason I think myself out of it... nothing specific but think fear of injury is up there even though there is no hint or sign of discomfort at all... oh well saving it for the worlds is what I am claiming lol... I did manage to rip a couple of calluses though... not too bad just a bit stingy...

only two workouts to go now before the big day... just going to work up to my openers and make sure I can nail them for at least three with good form and technique... making sure I get good lifts... I have a fair idea of my openers now but just want to consolidate...
GreyphantomIcon...11-11-2011 @ 18:46 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Set Openers

Squats
WU 60x5, 100x5, 140x3, 180x3

200x4

Bench
WU 60x5, 80x5, 100x3

120x3

Deads
WU 120x5, 170x5, 210x3

250x3

Yeah baby all numbers hit and all lifts felt easy...

Squats - felt so on here, lifts went up like a rocket... in fact went up so quick on rep 3 of the 200kg set I even rocked back at the top... so did a 4th to make sure I locked the form in and it was fine... so opener set there...

Bench - oh so on here... kept it tight all the way down and back up again, 120 for 3 with a very long pause to make sure I had it locked in and thats all she wrote on that one...

Deads - bit tired when got to this but nothing serious... 210 felt a bit hard tbh but then 250 flew up... weird... but felt good and thats it till next thursday now...

Setting my openers is a day late due to loads of sh1t going on yesterday, today was a pile of cr@p too but there was no way I was going to miss this workout... now its rest mode till my lifting day on thursday... so looking forward to it I cannot say... so ready for it now that I just want to do it!!! got some work to do round the house on the weekend then last day of work on monday (well half day) pack and get sh1t sorted for my mother (who will be looking after the kids while the mrs is at work Wed-Fri) and then off on Tue... cannot wait...
GreyphantomIcon...21-11-2011 @ 14:35 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Right so home now and able to type a bit more about my experience at the worlds...

The whole thing was one huge experience and learning curve... fantastic experience I might add and learned a lot about how to lift more effectively in a meet and how to strengthen my week points...

I had been dieting for about a week to get down from 114-115kg to under 110kg which is the class I lift in... two days before I was 108.6 or there-a-bouts and on track to make weight... tuesday I had only one meal and sipped water throughout the day and into the night... the flight to Riga was good and quick... met with Dave Beattie and Dave Mannering on the flight which was cool. Hotel was really nice and quiet which was good for a good nights sleep (however didnt really get one of those as it was also warm and I dont tend to sleep well away from the mrs anyway)... down to the venue for weigh ins on the wednesday morning and made my weight easy with 107.5kg... off to watch a bit of the lifting before heading back to the hotel for some rest and relaxation and food and shakes...

rehydrated and ate well wednesday up early as the info said we would start at 10am... well it was mostly right... some lifting started at 10am but I was told I would probably lift at 12... then 2 and finally it was 4pm... it wasnt too much of a problem but it did mean that taking my pre workout supps and drinks and warming up was off...

warming up area was huge, three mono lifts, three dead lift areas and three benches plus a couple of big tvs for us to see the action out the front and see out next lifts etc... warm up on squats went well... Mullan Budgie from the GB team helped me out and did 190 with no problems... while I was warming up this really huge guy came over with a bit of an entourage (couple of photographers, couple of ladies and some helpers) started to warm up in the mono lift I and another chap were using... turns out it was Konstantin Konstantinovs... lol... yep well up on the play me...

anyway out to do my first squat and should have been fine but I didnt get depth (vids to follow when I figure out how to upload them to where and it will take a looooong time)... Budgie came over to tell me I had rushed the set up and for me to take more time... so followed that advice in the second lift and nailled 200... went up to 245 for the next lift as just wanted to get a good number up... was going all good till my knee gave as I went to lock it out and as a result I took a step... doh... no lift... sigh...

Bench was good but average (very average when compared to the rest of my class) weights really... first two were fine... last just didnt get past the sticking point... I have since had some help and pointers with how to strengthen my bench and will implement these to see how it goes come the raw meet at the end of jan...

Deads could not have gone better, well ok maybe a bit better if I had lifted more but I was very happy with them... warmed up with some of the Russian chaps out the back and was keeping up with them for the most part which was nice for a change... got 240 for 2 easy reps and my first lift of 250 went up well... second lift at 270 just felt great and still no trouble... so went for 290, a lift I have not got in the gym but was feeling so on by this stage just gave it a go... and UP it went, looking back at the vid it looks harder than it felt tbh... got a few good comments off that lift and redeemed myself somewhat...

So overall did ok, should have had a bigger total but happy enough for a 2nd meet and first worlds... will def get more next year and looking to improve that total even in jan for sure...

Will upload the vids as soon as I can but may take some time as our interweb connection is sh1te...

Thanks to all who have supported me and given me good wishes... the texts meant so much too...
GreyphantomIcon...22-11-2011 @ 16:01 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 22.11.2011 @ 16:07 PM by Greyphantom
Ok just going to put the successful biggest lifts from the worlds in here... hoping they work ok...

" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEP5MFUQ1rg[/youtube]

hmmm nope doesnt come up with the vid just the link will have to find out why...
GreyphantomIcon...30-11-2011 @ 18:25 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins (sort of) day 1

Squats
WU 60x11, 100x8, 140x7, 180x5

200x2x3

Bench
WU 60x10, 80x8, 100x6

120x2x2

ooohh I hurt... already feel my legs falling off... chest isnt too bad right now but got a nice pump in the pecs...

squats - went well... lost count on a couple of sets (first and 3rd warm up sets) but felt comfortable... concentrated on keeping the chest up and back tight with my knees out and tight for the whole movement... lost it a little on the 2nd set of 200 on the last rep, chest came down but still got the weight up easily... felt really really good squatting again... took a bit out of me though for some reason...

bench - worked on keeping my back tight but also taking a breath in and holding it keeping chest up through the whole rep... seemed to make a big difference... also fiddled with some other little bits like head up or down or head going from the up position to the down position... not sure that made a difference tbh... got huge cramps in my hip flexors on the 120kg sets though, getting the leg drive was hard so I didnt bother too much with that but had to stretch out after each set to loosen them up...

oh god it feels good to be training again... knackering but good... combined mon and wed and only did the squat and bench portion today as last few days have been manic and today was no different but was not going to miss out training for anything... silly season is upon us but going to make time for training as I will be entering the raw comp at the end of Jan that Dave Beattie is running...

Diet is back to eating better foods and taking in around 300g of protein... not too sure of fats and carbs atm but they are there...
Paul_DIcon...30-11-2011 @ 18:29 
Hey mate, my name is Paul Dudley
Member 632, 3628 posts
SQ 200, BP 155, DL 282.5
637.5 kgs @ 77kgs UnEq
Greyphantom said:Ok just going to put the successful biggest lifts from the worlds in here... hoping they work ok...

hmmm nope doesnt come up with the vid just the link will have to find out why...

Fixed for you.
GreyphantomIcon...30-11-2011 @ 18:46 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Paul_D said:
Fixed for you.

dude that is great, I would like to post the others, how did you do that? yes I am not great at this new fangled technamolology... Grin
GreyphantomIcon...02-12-2011 @ 16:54 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins (sort of) day 2

Deadlifts
WU 120x8, 170x8, 210x5

250x2x2

thats it... short and sweet today, so much going on at the moment its just the silly season... legs majorly sore but working ok, warm up was good and legs started to loosen up... as the weight got heavier though my hams and glutes started to tighten up and feel on the edge of pulling... but managed 2 sets of 2 at 250 easy enough and left it at that... good intro to full training which starts monday... back has major pumps now and its painful but not in a hurt way... glutes are very sore and hams just starting to like me again... one forgets how much of the body is worked by deadlifts... then it starts complaining and suddenly you remember... lol...

feeling good and off for a night out and so looking forward to it and I think pizza is on the cards... have a good weekend all...
GreyphantomIcon...06-12-2011 @ 18:31 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins day 1

ME squats
WU 60x12, 100x10, 140x6, 180x4, belt on 200x2

220x1x2, 2x1

DE Deads
WU 100x5

150x4x4

SLDL
100x3x10

Oh all thats good an holy... almost didnt make training today... first got caught in a traffic jam when a truck broke down, then a car chase down the a20 and then thought would have to pick up my daughter from the bus stop... luckily mum to the rescue and she got my daughter so it meant I could get the session in...

Squats - warm ups went well, working on keeping my chest up and keeping it tight all the way through the movement. funnily enough the 200kg set felt easier than the 180kg set... 220 felt good all except the 2 rep on the first set... as I got near the top my chest just caved... not good so I just man handled the fvcker up and got it in ok... next two singles went really well though and chest stayed up fine...

Deads - felt great... very light though and worked on power and speed... by the end of the 4 sets I was shaking like a leaf and had difficulty writing the more complex numbers in my log... numbers like 1 for eg

SLDL - weight felt very light but still felt it in my hams and glutes... was all done by this stage... shaking didnt stop for about 10 mins after workout and now it hurts to sit and type... lol...

great workout over all, first time for a full (sort of next week adding in pull throughs) workout since the week before the worlds... was awesome...
GreyphantomIcon...08-12-2011 @ 19:38 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins day 2

ME Bench
WU 60x12, 80x10, 100x8, 120x4

130x2x1, 1xf

DE Squat
WU 100x5, 130x5

160x4x4

Seated Mil Press
40x3x10

CGBP
60x2x10, 1x7

Dislocations
towelx3x20

Oh goodness... great workout in that I felt it working well but not so good as outlined below...

Bench - warm ups were awesome, felt strong and tight... got to 130 and it still felt great on the first two singles... on the third was going up nicely when my wrist gave way but I managed to catch the bar ok and hold it... hold it... hold it... but could lock out the last 3 inches dammit... so fail... and to top it off my left collar bone is very sore and painful when I lift my arm up or try pressing movements... but onward...

Squats - excellent... very deep and form was maintained through whole rep for every rep... sets got easier as I progressed which was nice and felt strong throughout... however had trouble getting under the bar as left shoulder/clavicle was not playing nice...

Seated Press - was going to do 60 but it wasnt happening, 40 felt ok but left arm started going numb... is still tingly now tbh... almost like I was having a heart attack or pinched a nerve or something... I am opting for pinching the nerve

CGBP - felt great and concentrated on getting the drive from the bottom... however collar bone again hurt every time I took the weight off the rack... but fvck it worked through although I had to stop on the third after 7th rep as left side was giving way... stupid aches and pains...

Dislocations - tbh didnt feel great as my left was tight and it wasnt going full range... but it did loosen it up and my arm is less numb...

going to add some more weight on a couple of exercises next time and add in another exercise for triceps... feeling good though...
GreyphantomIcon...12-12-2011 @ 17:26 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins day 3

ME deadlift
WU 120x10, 170x8, 210x4, 240x2

270x3x1

DE Bench
WU 60x10, 80x8, 100x6

110x1x3, 1x2

Truncated workout...

Was quick and simple today... didnt plan it to be like that but it turned out that way as just ran out of time as daughter was early coming home (isnt it funny how one little thing throws out a large part of your day)...

Deads - warm ups were great, felt strong and conctrated on a nice smooth powerful pull from the floor... the 3 singles were really good, better than I expected tbh as I have had little sleep and it seems my son loves to share his little bugs... either that or it was something we ate yesterday as we have similar symptoms and even though I did the obligatory "evacuation" before my heavy dead session I was still very concerned that I might have an accident lol... but all is good...

Bench - warm ups were great, felt good with my shoulder too... till I started going heavier... first set of 110 was good... second not so much... but was moot as had to leave then to pick up daughter... I have found that my shoulder and tricep strength needs a load of work though... yay...

over all it felt good but a bit disappointed in the bench still... oh well work to be done...
GreyphantomIcon...14-12-2011 @ 16:19 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Prilepins day 1

ME squats
WU 60x10, 100x8, 140x6, 180x3, 200x2, 220x1

235x2x1, 1xnp (near parallel)

DE Deads
160x4x4

SLDL
120x3x8

Stretching for hip flexors and legs...

Oh all thats good and holy, my legs do NOT like me right now... in fact they down right hate me... was a hectic day, work went a bit longer than I would have liked, then I had to choose between eating then probably missing training or training then trying to fit eating in and I chose training but had to have a shake in the end... locked myself out of the house though as left the keys in the gym after I had finished... luckily my mum and dad lives round the corner and they have a key...

Squats - first set of WU felt odd... my hips felt tight and there was some light pain... second set I reset my toes so they were more in (but still pointing slightly out) and kept my knees inline with them felt much better... rest of the warm up was fine 220 even felt really good... main sets felt ok, the first felt heavy but went down and up really nicely... second actually felt lighter and went much better than the first but the third I got to near parallel and thought I was going to dump the bar but managed to get it up ok... legs felt well and truly fried... hams and glute were even sore...

Deads - awesome sets... felt so good doing them but my legs had sod all drive in them after squats... set up felt good and I focussed on driving from the floor and getting the hips through at the top while keeping good form...

SLDL - by this stage I was really really just wanting to stop... sigh, kept going though and got a good triple 8 out... back was well and truly pumped by this stage though... my ass cheeks are tender in ways I am sure they are not supposed to be...

very good workout given that it was rushed and I was on no food (usually eat about 2 hours before) and I did feel this as started to get light headed on the heavy sets... even though my legs are really sore I feel really good about it and the way its going... bring on the raw comp...
GreyphantomIcon...19-12-2011 @ 14:14 
Member 2858, 889 posts
SQ 275, BP 155, DL 320
750.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Weekend training Prilepins day 2 and 3

Sat Day 2

ME bench
WU 60x12, 80x10, 100x6

120x1

DE squats
WU 100x5, 130x5

160x2x4

inside to either puke or crap myself or both at same time...

Sun Day 3

ME deads
WU 120x10, 170x8, 210x4

250x2x1

DE bench
WU 60x10, 80x8, 100x4

110x3x3

Rows
110x3x8

Oh what a sh1t weekend... literally... friday night was my boys birthday night and he had a couple of friends over who didnt get to sleep till 2am, then broken sleep till about 7 then up and at them... flaming kids... felt rough and had no energy but didnt think too much of it... bench sucked hugely, felt tight up till the 120 and after that just nothing in the tank at all... started the squats and had to stop after the second set as I felt I was going to throw up or not be able to control my rear... was not pleasant... felt awful... called it a day... however I did feel my legs quite a bit that day... weird... oh and to top it all off I had massive issues with the mrs which took a few hours to sort out and tbh was totally bs but what can you do... women

sunday - feeling better so trained deads and de bench... energy was still low... only went up to 250 for deads and they felt hard but 110 for bench felt great, kept it tight all the way through each rep for each set... experimented with position on the bench and how I take the bar off the rack... think I may have found a better position as I got all 3 sets done with full rep numbers I was aiming for... did some rows as well but only 110 as wanted to get the movement in and feel it properly...

a bit of a crap weekend but onward and upward... think the experimenting with bench will have a knock on effect (hopefully) so looking forward to next bench session for once... feeling much better today but going to rest up a bit and eat as much as I can...
Big_VessIcon...19-12-2011 @ 14:27 
I am pro for the dish
Member 934, 998 posts
SQ 205, BP 157.5, DL 215
577.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Following your journal, well done at the worlds. do you do any other upper body work to assit the benching??

12345678910 ... ... 4950515253545556575859

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions