REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitRicks Film Review Thread

Ricks Film Review Thread

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

billynomates
scruffmcbuff said:
My thoughts exactly. I hope its good.
Guranteed footfall thats for sure.
I watched a film with Tom Hardy in, He was a german officer of some kind. Im a massive fan of Tom Hardy which is why i was so suprised this film was s**t.
Tom Hardy is great, watched Mad Mad Fury Road recently and thought it was brilliant. I tried to watch Bronson then, but couldnt get into it so switched off after half an hour.
Hardy was much better than Di Caprio in the Revenant, more deserving of the Oscar imo.
luki
Any of the Oscar nominations worth a look? I usually like SciFi so Arrival sounds good in theory.
Arrival's brilliant. Thinking SF rather than exploding SF, if that makes a difference.
Post Edited: 25.01.2017 @ 15:11 PM by matthewvc
Rick said:Arrival's brilliant. Thinking SF rather than exploding SF, if that makes a difference.

the short story it is based on is fascinating if you find linguistics and grammar etc interesting.
think it gets classed as 'hard' sci-fi' when the themes are detailed and rigorously accurate.
dazzachap
As I lover of Sci Fi I came across Pandorum recently, worth a watch in my opinion...
matthewvc said:
the short story it is based on is fascinating if you find linguistics and grammar etc interesting.
think it gets classed as 'hard' sci-fi' when the themes are detailed and rigorously accurate.

I've had Ted Chiang on my to-read list for quite some time, but seeing this has definitely bumped him up a few notches.

Reading The Girl With All The Gifts was really interesting, too. The author wrote the novel and the screenplay side by side, and they're slightly different, including in plot. (And both extremely strong.) Fascinating.

Today I saw the new xXx movie. Charismatic, and incredibly, unapologetically, gloriously stupid. Terrible film in many respects, but I really enjoyed the hell out of it. Toni Collette and Donny Yen stole about half of it, too.
ChrisMcCarthy
Toni Collete steals most things she's in to be fair.
True that. Today it was Split, which I reckon is the best Shyamalan movie since Unbreakable. Unashamedly genre, and nothing wrong with that.
billynomates
I somehow saw three half films this evening.
1. first half of Hacksaw Ridge (which I thought was a war film but most of it seems to be set in the barracks). Didnt seem as good as the reviews suggest,
2. first half of Patriots Day, which was very good until my laptop turned off to install updates
3. the middle half of Lone Survivor, which was entertaining far fetched nonsense.
John
billynomates said:I somehow saw three half films this evening.
1. first half of Hacksaw Ridge (which I thought was a war film but most of it seems to be set in the barracks). Didnt seem as good as the reviews suggest,
2. first half of Patriots Day, which was very good until my laptop turned off to install updates
3. the middle half of Lone Survivor, which was entertaining far fetched nonsense.

That's a shame I was really looking forward to Hacksaw ridge.
Jaybuk
Enjoyed split an made we want to give another of m night shyamalan's a rewatch
John
Just watched girl on the train slow burner turned out rather good.definitely worth a watch.
can't wait to see split.
Just watched Arrival, honestly it was OK but I didn't find it amazing.

Was sort of waiting for a big twist or revelation which never came. The concept was good just not amazingly executed, although some would disagree entirely it appears.

Thought interstellar was much better both conceptually and emotionally in terms of the whole time travel paradox thing.
CAJ said:Just watched Arrival, honestly it was OK but I didn't find it amazing.

Was sort of waiting for a big twist or revelation which never came. The concept was good just not amazingly executed, although some would disagree entirely it appears.

Thought interstellar was much better both conceptually and emotionally in terms of the whole time travel paradox thing.

Hey, you're entitled to your absurd opinions Wink.
luki
In an effort to be social, with a girl I like, I went to an art house film about a woman who serial stabs sex offenders on the bus.
It turned out to be a pretty good film, but perhaps not appropriate for the yawn arm around shoulder move... also has subtitles.
Title: Cairo 678

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitRicks Film Review Thread
Return to top View Desktop Site