Sugden Barbell: Home User Account
REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsOx's Journal Of Insanity

Ox's Journal Of Insanity

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Lower 1 today, bad headache stemming from my neck right up over top of my head, nearly sacked the session off but that's just not me....

Romanian Deadlifts

60kg x 15 hook grip
100kg x 10 hook grip
140kg x 8 hook grip
180kg x 6 hook grip
220kg x 6
220kg x 6
240kg x 4
240kg x 3

Not sure how I feel about these, I might lose the belt as it makes it feel like my heads going to explode, weights feel easy otherwise. Tempted just to do normal deads but 8-10 reppers for 2-3 sets instead.

Hack Squats

80kg x 12
80kg x 12
100kg x 12
120kg x 10
120kg x 8

I really enjoyed these, weak at them so a good movement to hammer...quads really pumped up set after set, it feels like it could be productive.

Reverse Hyperextensions

80kg x 20
120kg x 15
140kg x 12
140kg x 10

Another movement I intend on hammering, purely as they make the whole posterior chain burn and also a great pre-hab movement. Back felt great after these.

Lying Hamstring Curls

30kg x 20
45kg x 15
60kg x 8
45kg x 12
30kg x 27

Properly set myself up on this new machine and it felt very good, hams really pumped up well and I could really get a good squeeze on each rep, again a productive movement.

Leg Extensions

30kg x 20
45kg x 10
55kg x 6
45kg x 8
30kg x 16

One word...pain, blood swamped quads and it hurt in a very good way.

Smith Machine Calves

60kg x 20
80kg x 12
80kg x 12
80kg x 9

Slow, deliberate reps and a good pump...doubt it will do a bloody thing to the size of them but as I am bodybuilding I will show willing!

Decent session, not mad on Romanians if I am honest but good work all round today despite headache. Day off then Upper 2 on Thursday.

Not sure I noted this but upping my calories to 4500kcals as weight is slightly dropping off, not much but it seems needed now.

Nice work mate, are you working on using the hook grip as your main grip? It's something I need to work on as it puts me in a better position.

I see what you mean about the RDL's, not really sure what to suggest although there's nothing inherently wrong. It just looks like your back is so dominant it overpowering the movement.

Do you have access to a GHR machine? Smashing out some reps on that should help, never used one myself but using the poor mans version I have has been positive so far.
nails said:Nice work mate, are you working on using the hook grip as your main grip? It's something I need to work on as it puts me in a better position.

I see what you mean about the RDL's, not really sure what to suggest although there's nothing inherently wrong. It just looks like your back is so dominant it overpowering the movement.

Do you have access to a GHR machine? Smashing out some reps on that should help, never used one myself but using the poor mans version I have has been positive so far.

I'm just going to go back to reps with normal deads mate...250kg for sets of 6-10 reps will build things better.

I have a GHR mate but its too easy...I can rep out 2o reps with a 20kg plate on my chest, I get noting from it....may try to rig up a poor mans one as they are much tougher.
Oh and sorry mate ..yes I want to fully switch to hook grip...my lifting is getting to the point now a bicep tear is a real possibility and I want to avoid that but its going to take time to learn the new grip. 260kg is my mas hook pb, need to break past 300kg with it.
Oxman said:
I'm just going to go back to reps with normal deads mate...250kg for sets of 6-10 reps will build things better.
I have a GHR mate but its too easy...I can rep out 2o reps with a 20kg plate on my chest, I get noting from it....may try to rig up a poor mans one as they are much tougher.

Those sort of reps are bound to have an effect, that it an immense amount of volume.

I think you just need to find something that hit your posterior chain hard that you can train as an assistance lift. Given enough experimentation you'll find something.

I think hook grip is a good idea anyway. Are you limited by pain or another factor? For me I'm a big fat wuss puss and get limited by pain.
John
nails said:
Those sort of reps are bound to have an effect, that it an immense amount of volume.
I think you just need to find something that hit your posterior chain hard that you can train as an assistance lift. Given enough experimentation you'll find something.
I think hook grip is a good idea anyway. Are you limited by pain or another factor? For me I'm a big fat wuss puss and get limited by pain.

Lol some light volume 250 8 reps god sake lol, I've been trying hook grip too hurts like a mutha but have info that says it gets better,alt grip seems to send the under grip side out from my shin really annoying.
nails said:

I think just repping the crap out of 250-280kg deads will do the job mate...the reverse hyper is good...I think I need to load it more or add a band...it seems useful.

I haven't been limited as yet by hook mate...I was just messing around in my strength build up, pretty sure I can do much more but need to get used to a vastly different feel, once I get it locked in I reckon my deads will take off as I am way better doh, I can lock lats in much better, we'll see what happens!
John said:
Lol some light volume 250 8 reps god sake lol, I've been trying hook grip too hurts like a mutha but have info that says it gets better,alt grip seems to send the under grip side out from my shin really annoying.

Its all relative tho mate...my max is 330kg so 250kg should be fairly bright and breezy, I just need to get a good hit of volume in with it I feel and for me make them TNG to really hit my lockout. Yes helicoptering can be an issue with reverse grip ..just try to think about tucking elbows into your back pockets to really activate the lats and pull the bar I closer.
Oxman said:
I think just repping the crap out of 250-280kg deads will do the job mate...the reverse hyper is good...I think I need to load it more or add a band...it seems useful.
I haven't been limited as yet by hook mate...I was just messing around in my strength build up, pretty sure I can do much more but need to get used to a vastly different feel, once I get it locked in I reckon my deads will take off as I am way better doh, I can lock lats in much better, we'll see what happens!

Yep I'm the same with lats. When I mix the over hand always has better lat engagement. I also have a very wide carry angle which tends to force my grip out wider. I think it's similar to what John mentioned above or at least connected.
nails said:
Yep I'm the same with lats. When I mix the over hand always has better lat engagement. I also have a very wide carry angle which tends to force my grip out wider. I think it's similar to what John mentioned above or at least connected.

I've got better at locking it in with mixed grip but its way better doh so will be trying as best as I can to get my hook grip up. Maybe worth you thinking abut it mate.
20 mins weighted sprints this afternoon..Leg DOMS didn't help.
Little sleep last night due to a poorly daughter but had an awesome session..

Upper 2

Morning BW - 106.5kg (weight dropping off a little)

Strict Press

Bar x 20
40kg x 20
60kg x 10
80kg x 3
100kg x 1
80kg x 9 rep pb (1 more there today but left it)
80kg x 6
80kg x 5 volume pb

Pleased strength holding out well on these, 100kg moved very easily...this is my triple pb and I easily have that still but this was just an over warm up so 1 was enough. 80kg felt very light after and saw increases this week again, good pump, getting used to repping now, slowly!

Legs Straight Floor Press

Bar x 20
60kg x 10
80kg x 10
100kg x 10
120kg x 10 rep pb
100kg x 10 + 3 + 3 Rest/Pause

Felt really good and stronger than I have been before on them, but should be really...triceps and indeed chest really feeling these, felt great, will keep hammering these, even slightly fatigued from ohp they move nicely.

Bench Grip Chest Supported Row

65kg x 10 rep pb
70kg x 7 rep pb
60kg x 10 + 3 + 2 Rest/Pause

Again strength rapidly increasing on these and I get an awesome huge ROM on them so a great pump too, best rowing variation I have ever used without doubt.

Cable Side Lateral Raises

15kg x 15
17.5kg x 10
17.5kg x 8
drop
15kg x 5

Got a nice constant tension on these and as always very strict, side delts blew up, very painful sets but productive.

Wide Grip Upright Rows

20kg x 20
30kg x 20
35kg x 15

A new movement for me and one I like, done this way it really hits the lateral head of the deltoid bang on and following n from the laterals it burned deep.

Dumbbell Shrugs (2-4 second contractions)

32kg x 12
32kg x 12
37kg x 12

Light weight but that hard squeeze at the top was brutal, never ever felt traps burn like that, I've done 260kg power shrugs, lighter barbell shrugs, smith shrugs, behind back shrugs but nothing works quite like these..will keep them in. Used hook grip to get a little extra practice in.

EZ Concentration Curls

60kg x 5...ab cramp
50kg x 7...ab cramp
abandoned

Not playing ball this week, got really bad lower ab cramp on both sets and it put me right off...left it for this week and did another movement...

Machine Preacher Curls

60kg x 7
50kg x 12
40kg x 16
60kg x 4
drop
50kg x 3
drop
40kg x 3 bicep death

All moving well but that deep stretch destroys strength, muscle is wrecked from it though so worth it.

Machine Dips

Stack + 40kg x 20
Stack + 40kg x 20
Stack + 40kg x 20

Quick blitz to tris, very very painful and minimal rests.

Reverse Pec Dec

56kg x 20
63kg x 12
63kg x 10
63kg x 8

Done very very strict and in this new way, upper back involvement is minimised and I felt it all in my rear delts. Brilliant movement.

And that was that, BW may be down a smidge but strength still there and feeling good. Really enjoying these BB sessions now. Lower 2 tomorrow.
Bloody hell mate, that took forever to read all that. Truck loads of volume as always.
John
Elbows back pocket il give that cue a go thanks ox, great session as nails said wtf ? Too much coffee lol Grin
nails said:Bloody hell mate, that took forever to read all that. Truck loads of volume as always.

Its only bodybuilding mate...easy stuff compared to real lifting lol.

You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsOx's Journal Of Insanity
Return to top View Desktop Site