Paul Savage training log

Users viewing topic: & 2 Guests

12345678910 ... 557558559 ... 617618619620621622623624625626627

PaulSavageIcon...31-08-2017 @ 12:56 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
AdamT said:
Jesus Paul you're a solid size now.
That's f**king some grip!

Thanks. Yeah i'm a bit of a fat f**ker now but I never would have thought 6 months off 'supplementing' I'd be 25 and half stone fat or not.
PaulSavageIcon...31-08-2017 @ 13:08 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 31.08.2017 @ 13:14 PM by PaulSavage
Becca

100kg total x 11 / 85kg total x 21 push press - https://www.instagram.com/p/BYdNhptgexb/

Me

Strict press 100kg total x 30 / 85kg x 50 (mainly short range) - https://www.instagram.com/p/BYdPD5DAFI4/

150kg x 6 paused close grip bench in loose slingshot (should have been 10 reps but shoulders were proper f**ked after the presses and couldn't keep it from going forward on me) - https://www.instagram.com/p/BYdRm2EgTDj/

Both

High rep leg press 400kg + heavy bands (becca did 20 easy) - https://www.instagram.com/p/BYdQKOmAkUb/
JaybukIcon...31-08-2017 @ 17:20 
Member 6130, 110 posts
Ridiculous grippage, how tall are you you look big but I'd never of said 25stone plus is it hard to maintain the weight without meat?
PaulSavageIcon...31-08-2017 @ 18:40 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 31.08.2017 @ 18:44 PM by PaulSavage
Jaybuk said:Ridiculous grippage, how tall are you you look big but I'd never of said 25stone plus is it hard to maintain the weight without meat?

Thanks. I'm 6 foot 3. I think its one of those ones where without a normal size person next to me its hard to tell from videos. Its also less obvious because I'm not bulging with muscles like most lifters my weight as not been cell teching for 6 months and never really have compared to most anyway. I eat meat now but no its more the opposite, found it easier to maintain a bigger bodyweight veggie, I just got sick of eating quorn every meal. Fat Sam is vegan now and strong as f**k / 170kg+ at like 5'9 or something.
PaulSavageIcon...04-09-2017 @ 14:06 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
PaulSavageIcon...06-09-2017 @ 15:17 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Speed one hand deadlifts 90kg & 120kg - https://www.instagram.com/p/BYs7wD6gAWx/

70kg x 30 6", 62kg x 50 12" log short range - https://www.instagram.com/p/BYs8SZaA1_c/

100kg x 20 with bench block superset laterals - https://www.instagram.com/p/BYs9Y-bA9d8/
PaulSavageIcon...06-09-2017 @ 15:27 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Unfortunately ive had a world of problems last minute. Somehow hurt something in/under my rib in the last (so light) session. At first it was so bad I had to go a and e, could hardly stand was hurting so bad, thought maybe I wouldn't even be able to fly, never mind compete. Now it's a good bit better, but I still can't breathe properly and still in pain, just not as much. Chiropractor helped it a bit. Also the other problem is ive got some kind of viral thing, hot and cold, aching everywhere, and definitely has massively slowed down my recovery. Feeling better as the days go by but still not gone away. Had deep tissue massage today so hopefully that helps with recovery. Seen some of becca's competition, looks like it will be a higher standard this year. One of the girls has done 136kg per hand farmers hold for 36 seconds. Also in the grip she has the winner of king Kong (biggest international grip contest going) so should be challenging.
PaulSavageIcon...06-09-2017 @ 22:29 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
PaulSavageIcon...09-09-2017 @ 16:48 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 11.09.2017 @ 12:24 PM by PaulSavage
US world strongwoman championships 2017 day 1 write up

Something to note here is that for this contest you start each event in the place you draw so becca was 1st out on 3 of the events (in pair).

Event 1 - truck pull

Course was made shorter due to rain, only 12m. Becca got 1st place with 11 seconds. Next best was 13 seconds. Although she won the event her technique was bad, not driving with legs at the start and just using bodyweight and biceps. Of course I told her to do the exact opposite but sometimes competition nerves on first event can mix things up. With her normal technique she could have done 8-9 seconds.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY0n0LOgXQU/

Event 2 - viking press 80kg in hands x 60 seconds

Rules for this particular viking press were that any technique is allowed to simplify the judging. So strict press, push press, push jerk, split jerk all allowed. Due to wanting her to get strong first then fancy techniques later, I only trained becca to do push press. We had no idea what the others could do so going first, maximum number was required. Becca got 24 reps for 1st place, next best was 14 reps. Becca had her first 3 reps disallowed due to not waiting for down signal. Again this had been said many times, just sometimes happens with inexperience.

No video for this as they told me I couldn't film unless I go to the audience stand and there wasn't enough time when I found this out.

Event 3 - conans wheel 180kg

This event was a concern as we got a massage on Wednesday and although I said not to go too hard as we are competing soon she unfortunately made complete mince meat of our hamstring and calves. Due to this becca could not move at her normal pace and was simply too slow to get enough revolutions and of course didn't have anything to aim for. The others did very well on this, it was heavy. Becca got just over 4 revolutions for 3rd place. Best was 5 and a half.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY0otUgA8Jz/

Event 4 - farmers hold 90kg each hand

Becca hadn't trained this as too much other grip training with the world grip championships but obviously should be a good event for her. This was 5kg a hand up from what was listed and also on cylinder farmers so the handles could not be wedged against the thighs. Becca did 1 minute 5 seconds for 2nd place. When becca went the next best was only 30 seconds so she thought over a minute was good enough and put them down without over taxing the grip. Unfortunately in the pairing after her one of the competitors just about hung on to pip her by half a second. This was absolute maximum as she drop'd the farmer out of left hand from finger tips. Very unlucky but again going first big disadvantage on these kind of events.

Overall leader going into day 2 (3 points of joint 2nd place)
PaulSavageIcon...09-09-2017 @ 16:57 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 11.09.2017 @ 05:06 AM by PaulSavage
PaulSavageIcon...11-09-2017 @ 05:05 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 11.09.2017 @ 05:18 AM by PaulSavage
US world strongwoman championships 2017 day 2 write up

Event 1 - log lift max

This was on a 6" log and you had to do every lift from 61kg up. Becca was the only one to do 81kg. She had to do two cleans on it because her bicep spasm'd on the first clean but the press was very easy. This was actually the new record on this log. 1st place.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY2uMw8AtX3/

Event 2 - 150kg deadlift for reps

She finally got to go last now. 11 reps to beat but problem here was it was with small plates so about a 2" deficit and this really threw Becca off. She wasted a lot of time and energy trying to get in position in the first 30 seconds of pulls but came back well at the end to get 10 reps for 2nd place. If she hadn't have spent so much time the 12 would have been there. 2nd place.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY20_-wAeCt/

Event 3 - power stairs 110kg, 130kg, 145kg

They couldn't get 3 steps so was just 6 lifts, not 9, but high platforms. Becca did them all very easy just took her time to make 100% sure as had the time. 1st place.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY3l7ETAuGe/

Overall 1st place and 4 event wins out of 7. Not what we were going for, all event wins was the plan but the standard was much higher than last years and the running order effected things plus a few things also came into it on our side too. Will get into that on video review.
PaulSavageIcon...11-09-2017 @ 06:11 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 11.09.2017 @ 12:29 PM by PaulSavage
US world grip championships 2017 write up

Me

Unfortunately for me I had a really bad last week as I was in hospital with lot of pain under ribs and struggling to breathe with hot/cold spells and shooting pains all over body with all my muscles switching plus just a general weak feeling. They took 3 lots of bloods and did a bunch of tests. I was told the pain/breathing issues was muscle spasm or damage and that I had some kind of viral illness, viral infection or whatever, i was in a lot of pain but she said tests shown viral something from I think it was my blood cells. Another issue I had is that the massage we got on Wednesday was too hard and I got it on my forearms, back, hamstrings etc hadn't recovered at all from this due to the sickness. I actually felt like the viral thing had gone late Saturday night and felt good in my head for the comp, muscles were still feeling sore and twitching a bit but I felt like I could compete and went in to win. Did silver bullet on #4 first event and got 9 seconds when in training I'd got around 30 seconds every time other than a couple of slip outs. This I simply didn't have the power for. At first I thought the #4 must have been a very hard one but then started getting a lot of pain in my forearm and hand so kind of knew something was wrong. DO axle deadlift next and I could only pull 160kg and literally couldn't even lift 170kg back wise. I got really dizzy and my back locked up, all my muscles hurt a lot, shooting stingy pains again etc 170kg I could probably do 10 reps with normally, I just had no power. At that point I knew there was zero chance I could win or really just do the events, I couldn't have got to the bar for one hand deadlift I don't think, was cramping everywhere (even though i wasn't dehydrated). Swallowed my pride and pulled out to focus on Becca - f**ks sake but is what it is.

Becca

Event 1 - silver bullet

Best result in training was 31 seconds and she got 29.5 so was good result after the strongwoman. 1st place.

Event 2 - Do axle deadlift (40mm)

This was smaller axle than we realised so Becca hadn't trained this grip. She did 140kg then got called for 150kg when she wasn't ready and had no chalk/missed it. 2nd place. Very strong 150kg by Janne Tanner, very impressive.

Event 3 - Ironmind hub

Best result in training was 23kg and she managed 20kg easy, air on 22.5kg. Slippy hub so actually very high result. Matched Anu Rytkonen here which is great as she's world record holder on grip topz hub. 1st place.

Event 4 - Ironmind blockbuster pinch

Becca had gone really well in training on this lifting well above her world record up to 35.9kg. Obviously wasn't fresh here but did an easy 28.55kg and then went to beat her world record but only about 3-4" of air. 1st place.

Event 5 - one hand deadlift

This was a thicker bar than expected with no centre knurling. Becca lifted upto 120kg which was joint 1st with Janne. She went for 130kg for new world record and lifted it but her knee went in on one side so didn't get the down signal. 1st place.

Overall 1st place and 4 events wins of 5 (won by 10 points). Janne was very strong and also Anu in lighter class as well, was world record or near world record every event. Very pleased with how Becca performed considering the previous 2 days of strongwoman.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...11-09-2017 @ 08:29 
Lost his pen, then found his pen. #phew
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Well done to you both!
KevC86Icon...11-09-2017 @ 12:38 
Member 5141, 4205 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
Now that Becca has lost events, to mid ranking women, do you still stick to your belief that she is by far the strongest woman in the world ever?
PaulSavageIcon...11-09-2017 @ 14:04 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
KevC86 said:Now that Becca has lost events, to mid ranking women, do you still stick to your belief that she is by far the strongest woman in the world ever?

Wow, what a t**t fest of a post. How many times have you won back to back world titles? Also never said anything close to she is the worlds best strongwoman ever (???) but you have no idea why she lost the events. She lost conans for two reasons, because the massage we got on Wednesday was far too hard and her hamstrings and calf's were still sore going in (she was much slower than usual because of this) and because she had to go out 1st so had nothing to beat. Last years win was not even 2 laps and she did over 4. On the farmers she purposefully saved her grip for the grip championships and she was only just about beat by half a second again via someone going after her (this someone has done 136kg a hand farmers hold for 36 seconds, that's not mid ranking). The deadlift again the hamstrings played a role and also it was a deficit pull which we were told was standard height. Becca has never done a deficit pull for even a rep and didn't know how to get in position, still only lost by 1 rep. These are the only reasons she didn't win every event and why should she even have to win all the events?? Donna Moore won only 1 event at last years WSW and becca won 4 of 7 this comp. She also had another world championships to train for the day after, which she won 4 of 5 events on. 8 event wins of 12 at two world championships is bloody brilliant, and she was 2nd in all others but one which was a 3rd place. After one year of competing she's won two national championships, a European championships, two world championships and set many world records. Who else has done that? What did you win your first calendar year? How many British, European and world titles? How many world records did you set?

12345678910 ... 557558559 ... 617618619620621622623624625626627

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions