REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 197 guests
You are here: HomeForumStevenFatty → View All Posts

View All Posts: StevenFatty

12345678910 ... ... 1718192021222324252627

» Can't squat. Can't bench. Can deadlift....a little. (Go to post)16-06-2016 @ 22:43 
Post Edited: 16.06.2016 @ 22:43 PM by StevenFatty

Wide grip Pull-ups up to BW + 20kg (this was chains around the neck; which adds another 10kg in cool points, surely?)

One day I would like to be able to do at least one rep of body weight, wide grip pull-ups.
» Steven Fatty's Journal of getting less weak using Marmite. (Go to post)16-06-2016 @ 22:29 
Post Edited: 16.06.2016 @ 22:33 PM by StevenFatty
Warm up movements and sets

Squat Working sets:

95 X 3
107.5 X 3
122.5 X 5

Additional squat sets:

130 X 4 (struggled on last rep)
130 X 2
135 X 1 (don't think I hit depth)

Walk out-practice (I put the pins high, racked the bar and walked out, and held it for 10+ seconds):

Assistance sets - squat (using safety bar..all paused).

60 X 10
60 X 10
60 X 10
60 X 10
70 X 10 (quite tough, these safety bar squats will take some getting used to)

Walked home, about 2-3 miles, in the pouring rain.

Notes:

I've run into some problems. I've had to reduce my training from 4 to 3 days a week. Following the routine I am doing at the moment, that means I'm only hitting each exercise once every 9-10 days. That's ok for deadlifts, but for squats and bench-presses it is clearly sub-optimal for strength.

My gains are going to slow down, if not stop entirely. I struggled with the squats today, and that isn't surprising. I may start doing some lightish squats on the deadlift day to maintain some neural efficiency, but even this isn't ideal.

I may have to write myself a new routine otherwise I am going to stall.
» question about making gains (Go to post)14-06-2016 @ 14:38 
I think its my genetics. My brother is similar. He can make good strength gains very easily, whereas I seem to pack on muscle a lot easier. It doesn't take much stimulus to make me grow, and I seem to be able to handle more volume than a lot of people. I think over the last 8 weeks I have gained over half a stone in weight.

But I'm not interested in growth, I'm no bodybuilder, I just like strength training.
» Steven Fatty's Journal of getting less weak using Marmite. (Go to post)14-06-2016 @ 14:13 
Post Edited: 14.06.2016 @ 14:18 PM by StevenFatty
Sorry mate. I've committed the error of forgetting that just because something makes sense to me, it does't mean it does to others.

The exercises that I am doing are the same as those I've mentioned in the title, unless stated otherwise. For example, yesterday, they were strict overhead presses. The working sets are strict presses, and so are the assistance sets, although 3 of the assistance sets were performed using a log. The other exercises mentioned were chin ups, and the weights, rep and sets for these stated next to them.

I will make it more clear from now on by writing down what the exercises are. I can see how it could be confusing when I start writing things like 'assistance sets.'

P.s. I edited the last work out to explain
» Move along please - nothing to see here... (Go to post)14-06-2016 @ 11:24 
What is an SA pull?

I assume WGBO is wide grip bent over row. These are a favorite of mine. Thanks to my long legs, I can bend to parallel with the floor, and still perform a full range of motion without hitting the ground. I rate rows highly.
» So I did some squats tonight. (Go to post)14-06-2016 @ 11:18 
According to the wall in your gym, you are only several breeze blocks high, but you are a human squatting beast. Impressive stuff.
» question about making gains (Go to post)14-06-2016 @ 11:13 
In my early twenties I did a routine where I trained about twice a week, one day I did 20 reps of squats, then some bench presses, the second day I did 20 rep deadlifts, some back rows and shoulder presses.

The twenty reps start of quite light, and you add a very small amount of weight every week/every two weeks. You can keep on training this way without stalling or deloads for quite some time.

As the 20 reps start to get heavy, they start turning into 20 sets of singles, which is fine.

I put on lots of muscle, it was quite amazing. I was constantly being accused of being on gear, no one would believe that I was completely natural. After a couple of years I became uncomfortable with my size, and decided to slim down. I've never done bodybuilding since.
» ksohhjjkk (Go to post)14-06-2016 @ 11:04 

140kg x 8 recent PB, probably al time beltless PB

that set was genuinely pretty good. They actually might have been to depth, maybe.

Nice strong lifting.
» Steven Fatty's Journal of getting less weak using Marmite. (Go to post)13-06-2016 @ 22:08 
Post Edited: 14.06.2016 @ 14:20 PM by StevenFatty
Warm up movements

Working Sets[strict overhead press]:

40 X 5
45 X 5
50 X 5 ...supposed be amrap. I found this set tough I stupidly went for the 6th rep and failed.

Assistance sets:

Log press (not a heavy log by any means) cleaned for the first rep only, all pressing performed strictly.

Empty log X 10 ....Easy
Log + 5 kg X 10 ....tough
Empty log X 10 .....tough

Strict OH Press 2 sets of 10 at 30 kg.

Chins ups (assisted)........5 sets, supposed to be 10 reps each but achieved that on non of them.

One set of dumbbell curls for the sake of doing something different.

Walked home through the rain, about 4 miles. Feel quite deflated. Unhappy Unhappy

Notes:

Not a good session. I struggled far too much. Because I am performing the workouts in reverse order than I did last cycle (squats is first instead of last), this means that I haven't overhead pressed in about 2 weeks. So, I've probably detrained a bit.

I didn't eat very well today, and also I think I could still be a bit tired from the deadlifts on Saturday.
» Steven Fatty's Journal of getting less weak using Marmite. (Go to post)13-06-2016 @ 21:55 
Planks, I think thats a good idea.
» Can't squat. Can't bench. Can deadlift....a little. (Go to post)11-06-2016 @ 17:51 
I used to use one of those table rows. Once I forgot to add the weight onto the bar, and I lifted it expecting it to have 100 kg or so -- the bar smacked me in the face and bust my nose and lip.
» Steven Fatty's Journal of getting less weak using Marmite. (Go to post)11-06-2016 @ 17:43 
Post Edited: 11.06.2016 @ 17:44 PM by StevenFatty
Forgot to write down the weights I was supposed to be lifting, so I had to guess. Despite this, I had a enjoyable session, probably because I was lifting heavier weights than I was supposed too..this 5/3/1 starts off awfully light.

Warm ups.

Working sets:

120 X 5 (should have been 105 X 5)
130 X 5 (should have been 120 X 5)
140 X 8 (amrap) (performed mixed grip)

Additional sets:

150 X 5

Assistance sets:

All performed using hook grip for practice. Performed lightning fast...happy with them.

80 X 10
80 X 10
80 X 10
90 X 10

Hyperextensions - 18 reps.

Ham curls - 4 sets of 10.

Ab wheel..the pressure on my shoulders was terrible, I simply couldn't do them.

Body weight 'thera' crunch machine- 4 sets, quite good.

Walked home - quite tiring.
» Steven Fatty's Journal of getting less weak using Marmite. (Go to post)10-06-2016 @ 12:22 
Post Edited: 10.06.2016 @ 12:23 PM by StevenFatty
Thanks, I've never seen AMH_powers log, but I will take a look at it.

Reverse banded squats could help to get used to higher weights, I think its something I could apply later on down the line. At the moment, it the actual un-racking and stepping back that I need to improve. Perhaps if I start to struggle getting out of the hole on heavier squats, I could throw some reverse band squats in.

I've never done band deadlifts. If I had trouble with the upper part off the lift towards the lock out, then I used to lift of the pins, although I didn't like this because I felt it started of in an unhealthy position. Alternately, if I was struggling with the lift off, then I trained the lower section of the lift.
» Steven Fatty's Journal of getting less weak using Marmite. (Go to post)09-06-2016 @ 22:31 
I'm going to start practicing the walkout with heavy weights, without actually squatting it. I think that is the solution. I need to get used to holding the weights.

The worst thing I find for squatting is people moving about in front of me. It messes with my focus and causes me to dump forward. Dropping the bar is one thing, dumping it over your head is another.
» Get lean, increase PB's and try not to seriously injure myself (Go to post)09-06-2016 @ 22:26 
Well done on reaching your goal of benching 100 kg 5 X 5. Good stuff.

12345678910 ... ... 1718192021222324252627

You are here: HomeForumStevenFatty → View All Posts
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions